Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Urist
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Mar 2013, 4:51 am

Most people don't actually hate you, they're just spiteful because of some completely unrelated reason. The advice is to recognise that unless that behaviour is specifically directed towards you, they're probably just having a bad day or are terrible in general.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2013, 7:27 am

I think they say it with respect to the fact that many people have the ability to choose whether to take something potentially insulting/upsetting personally or not. I think most people aren't that emotionally sensitive and hence can shrug off a lot of things that would wound a more sensitive person a lot. They think all people are like them ie thick skinned.

The way to test this though would be to say something insulting back to this person and see if it upsets them. If it does you can then give them their own advice back! :D

kouzoku
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2013, 9:20 am

Urist wrote:
Most people don't actually hate you, they're just spiteful because of some completely unrelated reason. The advice is to recognise that unless that behaviour is specifically directed towards you, they're probably just having a bad day or are terrible in general.

This must be what it's supposed to mean, but people just got so familiar with the phrase that they use it inappropriately. As in before they insult you. So it goes with a lot of the English language. You're supposed to know what people are implying because the words they use often don't match the idea they are trying to convey.

I will see if I can find that book in the bookstore and read that chapter.

That70sKid
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Mar 2013, 12:04 am

YES I MOST CERTAINLY DID TOO SPECIFICALLY MEAN EVERY SINGLE WORD OF MY LAST POST HERE, PLUS IF THERE'S ANYTHING I ABSOLUTELY DON'T WANT AND DON'T NEED ARE IS BEING DRAGGED DOWN BY REPULSIVE SONOFABITCH LOWLIFES LIKE DAFFYDUCK1973 (OR DAFFYDUCK73 FOR THAT MATTER) OR PEOPLE WHO INSIST ON GOING OUT OF THEIR WAY RIDING AND BLOWING UP s**t IN MY FACE OR BEHIND MY BACK ABOUT ME THAT ISN'T AT ALL TRUE, THEN THINK THEY HAVE THE BALLS TO BE ALL SMOOTH, COCKY, AND NONCHALANT ABOUT IT.

f**k YOU, HOBART INDIANA FOREVER

f**k YOU, BEN AFFLECK AND YOUR OSCAR ACCEPTANCE SPEECH AND SIDING WITH SUCH A REPULSIVE PISS-POOR TOWN FULL OF COCKY-ASS REDNECKS, PUNKS, AND CONSERVATIVES

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2013, 12:09 am

kouzoku wrote:
I will see if I can find that book in the bookstore and read that chapter.

Excellent. I highly recommend you pick it up and read the entire thing. It's not a long or difficult read, but is very valuable.

That70sKid
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Mar 2013, 12:24 am

FURTHERMORE, EVEN WHEN I DO HAVE THE SUDDEN TENDENCY TO GET NERVOUS OR UNGLUED, NO I AM AT ALL DOING WHAT'S CALLED "SETTING YOURSELF UP FOR FAILURE" OR "SETTING YOURSELF FOR LIP SERVICE", BECAUSE WITHOUT GENERALIZING, I ALREADY HAPPEN TO BE VERY HUMBLE AND VERY SINCERE IN EVERTHING I DO SO BACK TO SQUARE ONE I MOST CERTAINLY DID TOO SPECIFICALLY MEAN WHAT I SAID IN MY LAST TWO POSTS HERE BECAUSE IT'S HIGH SCHOOL ALL OVER AGAIN, BACK TO SQUARE ONE YOU CAN SERIOUSLY KISS SOMEBODY'S ELSE'S ASS NOT MINE, END OF SUBJECT

f**k YOU HOBART, INDIANA

f**k YOU, BEN AFFLECK FOR YOUR OSCARS ACCEPTANCE SPEECH AND FOR SIDING WITH A PISS-POOR TOWN FULL OF COCKY-ASS REDNECKS, PUNKS, AND CONSERVATIVES (AND THAT ALSO INCLUDES REPULSIVE SONOFABITCH LOWLIFES TOO)

briankelley
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2013, 5:11 am

I think they say it when they think they're offering "constructive criticism". Like, "I'm not saying this to hurt your feelings, but..." The younger you are the more susceptible you are to it. I got deluged with it as a kid, teens, twenties... but it started to taper off in my thirties and became rare in my forties. I've gotten gruffer looking with age, so maybe I'm more intimidating looking. Plus after so many years of this, I know what's coming and probably give them a certain look that tells them they might be sorry if they continue.

People only pull this nonsense on people they think they can get away with it on.

Mobius119
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Sep 2018, 4:04 pm

Quote:
"Hey there guy, at one point in time you were angry and slamming your fist upon the crate after I didn't catch what you said about hitting that object and scratching it in time." "I felt that you were very angry with me and I sense that you might think that I'm some sort of imbecile." "Let me express that I am very sensitive to your reaction and wonder if this is some sort of pattern for you have yelled at me before for not responding so quickly as I was simply trying interpret and process what your directive was."

"I feel that rather you are very angry at me and that it seems that I am some sort of detriment." "I would like to point out that I am very sensitive however 'please don't take this personal', my sensitivity is very sharp. I get the feeling that when people yell at me or exert some sort of angry in my presence after an action that was not favorable in their view is rather angry at the result due to me." "This in turn makes me believe that I have done something to may have cause this sudden feeling of anger toward me as I was involved in the action taken that was not favorable, however 'please don't take this personal' if I feel sensitive to your reaction"

You see what I did there. I believe it could go both ways yet it will not be taken in the context. So I do believe that the phrase "don't take it personal" is complete and utter nonsense.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2018, 4:42 pm

Mobius119 wrote:
Quote:
"Hey there guy, at one point in time you were angry and slamming your fist upon the crate after I didn't catch what you said about hitting that object and scratching it in time." "I felt that you were very angry with me and I sense that you might think that I'm some sort of imbecile." "Let me express that I am very sensitive to your reaction and wonder if this is some sort of pattern for you have yelled at me before for not responding so quickly as I was simply trying interpret and process what your directive was."

"I feel that rather you are very angry at me and that it seems that I am some sort of detriment." "I would like to point out that I am very sensitive however 'please don't take this personal', my sensitivity is very sharp. I get the feeling that when people yell at me or exert some sort of angry in my presence after an action that was not favorable in their view is rather angry at the result due to me." "This in turn makes me believe that I have done something to may have cause this sudden feeling of anger toward me as I was involved in the action taken that was not favorable, however 'please don't take this personal' if I feel sensitive to your reaction"

You see what I did there. I believe it could go both ways yet it will not be taken in the context. So I do believe that the phrase "don't take it personal" is complete and utter nonsense.

I hope that you are aware that you are reviving a thread that died more than five years ago. I am not even sure which person you are responding to here, but they may not even be a member of WP anymore. Just sayin'.

Not saying that the topic might not still be relevant. Just be aware that its old.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2018, 9:20 pm

It is hard not to take things "personally" if you are in the minority :heart:

For example, a homophobic precious lil "person" had the nerve to tell me "you make people uncomfortable with the way you dress!"

And I took it personally

But not many people in San Diego 2006 crossdressed (or the homophobic precious lil "person" thought they were not crossdressing)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2018, 12:28 am

I've always hated this phrase. I've also always hated the phrase, "You're too sensitive." I stayed working at a factory for three years to prove to people that I wasn't "too sensitive". That blew up in my face, big time. I ended up falling apart mentally and emotionally.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2018, 8:53 am

Cockney rebel

They tell you whatever they want

And then tell you you are "too sensitive"

When you do or say the slightest thing they don't like, they say you were "rude" , "disrespectful". Or ", you don't care about anyone except yourself"

:mrgreen:

Not a two way street

Not an even playing field

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2018, 10:12 am

It became more hurtful to me as I realized that the only change in me was that I was getting older, but no smarter. In fact, there were years in which I thought I was hitting a new low all the time. I hated getting more and more behind in learning adult milestones and was losing the abilities I had. Yes, hearing that expression is hard, but even harder is the knowledge that I was going nowhere fast.

I have made considerable improvements over the past five years, but I know that I started too late and might never catch up enough to have all of the things an average person my age would have. There are so many conversations I will be left out of forever.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2018, 10:30 am

I think it just means that some people may seem like they're being harsh on you but they really aren't meaning to be and you need to learn not to think that everybody in the world is out to hurt you just because they yell at you or correct you.

I'm a very sensitive guy at heart and I tend to take things too personally as well but then I have to calm myself and think about why they were talking to me the way they were. Sometimes it really is because I was in the wrong and they were just trying to help me not hurt my feelings. :)

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2018, 12:03 pm

Assume that the persons actions and statements had little to do with you, and you were just in the wrong place at the wrong time

Assume the person treats everyone like that

Yeah well I ain't totally full of myself, unlike almost everyone else that I have ever interacted with

They act like they are perfect

Arrogance might be the most functional method of dealing with the world

"If you can't beat them, join them"

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2018, 12:43 pm

I must confess that I have never heard it used that way- as a preface to a statement.

Someone saying "dont take this personally, but..." and then some criticism. Never heard that said to me (or to a third party either).

I have heard "with all due respect...I think that you are XYZ...".

Have occasionally heard it after I got angry at a friend for talking trash. He would say "you take stuff too personally"- like he is just talking the way bricklayers talk at the construction sites he works at. And thats the mode he expects me to get into. And there can be something to that. Its complicated. Like everything else in human interaction it depends upon context.