Liespotting - could be useful for people here.

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Apr 2009
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,653
Location: A cold place with lots of blondes.

14 Oct 2011, 4:32 pm

I saw this on TED just now and thought i'd share it here:

http://on.ted.com/Meyer

One thing a professional interrogator (LEO) do is to first ask some none-threatening questions. This is the "baseline" and is used to determine the "status quo" of a person, then provocative questions are asked and the reaction of the subject is analysed for anomalies. Like she says in the movie, one sign isn't proof, a cluster of them is a warning sign.

Another way that i've used all my life is to do a rational analysis of what people say and use logic to spot the B.S.

Do remember that Psychopats and Sociopats work differently , they are natures liars. They may be able to fool an interrogator, but not someone who is paying attention to what is being said.

Anyway, i hope someone finds this useful.


_________________
"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring" (Carl Sagan)


Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 May 2008
Age: 50
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,527
Location: in my brain

14 Oct 2011, 5:50 pm

I wonder how ASD people fare under her system. Lots of false positives?



Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Apr 2009
Age: 62
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,190

14 Oct 2011, 5:58 pm

Even when I can spot a lie I still have a problem because I have no idea how or if to confront someone about it.


_________________
Detach ed


ComplexRobot
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 20 Jan 2011
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 48

14 Oct 2011, 10:20 pm

Aimless wrote:
Even when I can spot a lie I still have a problem because I have no idea how or if to confront someone about it.

I think if someone is lying, it does no good to confront them, because you'll just make it worse. They won't admit they're lying, and will probably just get angry with you. (If someone is lying, in their mind, you have no way of knowing, unless you have psychic powers or something. This is true, at least, in a regular conversation. If you are interrogating someone, it's a different matter entirely. Hopefully every conversation isn't an interrogation session for you, otherwise people might not want to have conversations with you. XP)



Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Apr 2009
Age: 62
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,190

14 Oct 2011, 10:24 pm

ComplexRobot wrote:
Aimless wrote:
Even when I can spot a lie I still have a problem because I have no idea how or if to confront someone about it.

I think if someone is lying, it does no good to confront them, because you'll just make it worse. They won't admit they're lying, and will probably just get angry with you. (If someone is lying, in their mind, you have no way of knowing, unless you have psychic powers or something. This is true, at least, in a regular conversation. If you are interrogating someone, it's a different matter entirely. Hopefully every conversation isn't an interrogation session for you, otherwise people might not want to have conversations with you. XP)

Well that's what my instinct tells me,but how do you handle it when you need to make a decision based on what you believe to be a lie?


_________________
Detach ed


NZaspiegirl016
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 10 Oct 2011
Age: 24
Gender: Female
Posts: 216
Location: Somewhere in Aspergian New Zealand

15 Oct 2011, 1:48 am

Yeah, I can nearly always tell when my ex-best friend is lying (It's partly the reason we're no longer friends. I don't like lies) but I don't know what to say about it either. My mum is telling me to call her out in front of everyone about it, just say to her "You're a liar!" but I'm not sure if I should.


_________________
My blog: http://aspergersthroughateenseyes.blogspot.com/
ASPERGERS = Awesome Smart Pleasant Excelling Rare Gorgeous Enchanting Reliable Super
Diagnosed Asperger's aged 5 and a half


ialdabaoth
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 20 Aug 2011
Age: 45
Gender: Male
Posts: 166

15 Oct 2011, 11:52 am

NZaspiegirl016 wrote:
Yeah, I can nearly always tell when my ex-best friend is lying (It's partly the reason we're no longer friends. I don't like lies) but I don't know what to say about it either. My mum is telling me to call her out in front of everyone about it, just say to her "You're a liar!" but I'm not sure if I should.


The next time your mom says to do this, ask her what she does when she's at work and her boss, manager or coworker lies to her. If she says that she confronts them and tells them "you're a liar!", look her in the eyes and say "is that really what you do, Mom?"



ialdabaoth
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 20 Aug 2011
Age: 45
Gender: Male
Posts: 166

15 Oct 2011, 11:53 am

Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
I wonder how ASD people fare under her system. Lots of false positives?


LOTS of false positives. It's interesting how opposite the symptoms of 'sociopathy' and 'autism' are when it comes to lying and glibness. It's somewhat ironic that more autistics get casually accused of sociopathy than sociopaths.



Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Apr 2009
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,653
Location: A cold place with lots of blondes.

15 Oct 2011, 12:15 pm

ialdabaoth wrote:
Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
I wonder how ASD people fare under her system. Lots of false positives?


LOTS of false positives. It's interesting how opposite the symptoms of 'sociopathy' and 'autism' are when it comes to lying and glibness. It's somewhat ironic that more autistics get casually accused of sociopathy than sociopaths.



Thats because the average joe is a f*****g idiot who cannot be bothered to think for himself and believes everything that is echoed enough in the mainstream media :P

I prefer to be alone for a reason...


_________________
"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring" (Carl Sagan)


MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 May 2010
Age: 59
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,746
Location: New England

15 Oct 2011, 12:24 pm

I don't even worry about spotting liars. LIes and the lying liars who tell them, almost always have a way of exposing themselves sooner or later anyway, all by themselves.

Most of the time, I can sense a liar long before it's a problem anyhow. I don't know exactly how I can tell, and it doesn't matter how to me. I guess you can say it's one of the few fairly accurate intuitive abilities I do have.


_________________
I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...


hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Sep 2011
Age: 44
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,427

15 Oct 2011, 2:03 pm

I can't spot them and from things I've read online a lot of the way I talk and act would be considered "signs of lying" even though I'm not.



FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2007
Age: 36
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,380
Location: Cow Town

15 Oct 2011, 2:23 pm

I would probably show a lot of the signs of lying even though I am not. I am always nervous when talking to people so I fiddle a lot, sometimes I don't look in people's eyes when talking and other times its perfectly normal and once again sometimes I look too intensely into someones eyes, sometimes I rock back and forth even while standing, sometimes I look distracted, and other so called signs of lying. Also I smile all the time even while describing bad things for some odd reason. All of this causes people to become suspicious of me but its because of my autism and anxiety problems. If the world ended and I described it to someone I would probably be laughing and smiling. The only time when my smile is wiped off my face is when someone is directly accusing me of lying or bullying me. Or if we lost everything I owned. One of our friends just lost everything she owned.



ialdabaoth
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 20 Aug 2011
Age: 45
Gender: Male
Posts: 166

16 Oct 2011, 2:11 pm

Another thing to remember here - there is no way for people to know the "truth"; all any of us can know is what we perceive.

Thus, if the social consensus is that you are lying, then you're lying, even if everything you said was factual and earnest.

If the social consensus is that you are telling the truth, then you're telling the truth, even if everything you said was false and deliberately deceptive.



Sparhawke
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 23 Jul 2011
Age: 42
Gender: Male
Posts: 317

16 Oct 2011, 2:19 pm

Try asking people questions out of sequence, most people when lying will have a perfectly plotted story, and asking them to repeat it starting from the middle or the end will confuse them unto the end of days.

FireBird wrote:
I would probably show a lot of the signs of lying even though I am not. I am always nervous when talking to people so I fiddle a lot, sometimes I don't look in people's eyes when talking and other times its perfectly normal and once again sometimes I look too intensely into someones eyes, sometimes I rock back and forth even while standing, sometimes I look distracted, and other so called signs of lying. Also I smile all the time even while describing bad things for some odd reason. All of this causes people to become suspicious of me but its because of my autism and anxiety problems. If the world ended and I described it to someone I would probably be laughing and smiling. The only time when my smile is wiped off my face is when someone is directly accusing me of lying or bullying me. Or if we lost everything I owned. One of our friends just lost everything she owned.


The idea that a liar will not look someone in the eye is a misnomer, generally speaking most liars will keep a very close eye on the one they are trying to deceive, simply because they want to know how their story is being received. I never judge a persons story without considering it for their reason; it is too easy to get the wrong message if you leap to conclusions based on fairy tales masquerading as fact.



Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Apr 2009
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,653
Location: A cold place with lots of blondes.

16 Oct 2011, 3:32 pm

ialdabaoth wrote:
Thus, if the social consensus is that you are lying, then you're lying, even if everything you said was factual and earnest.



I get your point, but the art of spotting liars is based upon specific situations, like LEO's interrogating witnesses in for example murder investigations and not frivolous social image discussions like "I got this shirt when it came out, not on the sale last week. Really, who do you think i am?"


_________________
"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring" (Carl Sagan)