Grinning like an idiot at inappropriate moments...

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Vectorspace
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2013, 7:24 pm

Tori0326 wrote:
I laugh or smile as a involuntary reaction to being nervous or stressed.

Same thing here. When I'm among other people, I'm usually nervous and stressed, but because I smile, they think I'm happy. Could be worse.

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2013, 11:33 pm

daydreamer84 wrote:
Tori0326 wrote:
I laugh or smile as a involuntary reaction to being nervous or stressed. I'll often laugh during an argument, which makes the other person angrier, or when I'm disciplining my son, which makes him think I'm kidding. I really have no way of stopping it. The only thing I can do is walk away until I stop.

I used to have this problem when in worked in daycare. Once I told this kid not to run down the hall ,"don't run", and the kid started running even faster,super fast down the hall and for some reason I laughed at this-I still don't quite know why- and I went in front of him to stop him and said 'no running in the hallways , it's not safe" only I was laughing while saying it and the kid started laughing. The other girl I was working with just started at me probably wondering what the f*** was wrong with me.

This is a known aspie trait according to Attwood, explained alot about my stupid nervious laugh I can't or the life of me turn off. I do it often and have got into trouble for laughing at authority figures during my being punished, sternly talked too etc. Also becouse of this bullys in school would often get away with it becouse they would just say "hes laughing so he thought it was funny" as a defence. I often get the "this is not the time to laugh" line from others or the "do you get the severity of whats going on" line also.

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2013, 12:43 am

I smile alot at inappropriate moments, but not due to wicked thoughts. When I get nervous, sad, or scared, I get a huge smile on my face and can't wipe it off. The worst part is that this usually happens when I least want it to.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2013, 2:47 am

I often chuckle to myself at odd moments if I'm internally recalling something amusing, and I do grin at odd times, usually involving being in the midst of chaos. The best example would be arriving at work to find the place swamped and the kitchen in complete retreat, where I don't even have time to clock in before throwing myself into the midst of the disarray and knocking out the tickets one by one until we're out of the weeds. I usually am the only one in the kitchen smiling and get a real manic charge off of all the adrenaline flowing around me, especially when I'm the only calm person, which is often. I also get the maniac grin when someone tries to pick a physical fight with me, which is not often, but is absolutely and obviously hilarious to me, which usually takes the remaining wind out of the fight pickers sails. Something about someone who's completely calm, obviously amused and unafraid, and grinning at you like Christmas just came early seems to lower the confidence level of bullying types; perhaps they're not complete idiots.

drewski56
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Mar 2013, 11:07 pm

onewithstrange wrote:
Only when I don't understand a word they just said.

Same here. Then I realize they were leading up to story about their dog dying, or the like, and I look like an inconsiderate fool. :roll:

WrongWay
Toucan
Toucan

20 Mar 2013, 3:36 am

I sometimes start grinning when some random funny thought pops up in my mind, or I laugh for too long over something. Then sometimes people notice and ask why I'm laughing and I try to suppress it, but I often find it hard to. Trying to get rid of the funny thought from my head is a bit like being told 'whatever you do, don't think about a blue elephant' and they thinking about.. a blue elephant.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2013, 8:03 am

rapidroy wrote:
daydreamer84 wrote:
Tori0326 wrote:
I laugh or smile as a involuntary reaction to being nervous or stressed. I'll often laugh during an argument, which makes the other person angrier, or when I'm disciplining my son, which makes him think I'm kidding. I really have no way of stopping it. The only thing I can do is walk away until I stop.

I used to have this problem when in worked in daycare. Once I told this kid not to run down the hall ,"don't run", and the kid started running even faster,super fast down the hall and for some reason I laughed at this-I still don't quite know why- and I went in front of him to stop him and said 'no running in the hallways , it's not safe" only I was laughing while saying it and the kid started laughing. The other girl I was working with just started at me probably wondering what the f*** was wrong with me.

This is a known aspie trait according to Attwood, explained alot about my stupid nervious laugh I can't or the life of me turn off. I do it often and have got into trouble for laughing at authority figures during my being punished, sternly talked too etc. Also becouse of this bullys in school would often get away with it becouse they would just say "hes laughing so he thought it was funny" as a defence. I often get the "this is not the time to laugh" line from others or the "do you get the severity of whats going on" line also.

Interesting. That reminds me: in grade 3 my teacher saw these two boys tripping me on purpose and standing in my way so I couldn't get into the classroom and laughing (bullies) . She told the whole class during what they did during class time and said that this behavior was completely unacceptable. Then she had me come up to them at their table and told me to tell them to leave me alone. I started laughing as soon as I came up to them and they started saying "look miss Kitchen, she's laughing, she's laughing, she's lying, she made it up" and then they started laughing at me. Luckily she (the teacher) understood and said "no she's just nervous". Good teacher...not that it stopped the bullying at all...but she tried.