Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

SimulatedMerriment
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Mar 2013, 6:19 am

I'm not sure if I have Asperger's or not, but I seem to have every single symptom.. Some more apparent than others. Several of them I didn't even realize I had until someone told me about it. Anyway I have a really really hard time speaking someone's name directly to them. I've never been able to do that. I was wondering if that was also common, becuase I've never seen it on sites which describe symptoms..

Sniv
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Mar 2013, 8:03 am

Waiting for the diagnoses process to start.

But I get this too. It's not as bad as it once was, I used to have a huge problem with it, and it would take some effort to get over it.

It has gotten better over time.

Guessing its part of the whole social anxiety thing.

TenPencePiece
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2013, 8:06 am

Yes! But I do it when necessary, and it appears to be growing ever more necessary for me.

bicentennialman
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Mar 2013, 8:41 am

I noticed the same thing about myself, SimulatedMerriment. I think it is connected to social anxiety, particularly the fear that I will call someone by the wrong name. Due to face-blindness, I automatically developed a lot of coping mechanisms for talking to someone without letting them know that I don't remember who they are!

When you're used to doing that, making a conscious effort to use a person's name when talking to them just feels really alien and weird. But I think it is a good thing to try to do, because it can help a lot in making friends.