Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2013, 9:55 am

last night my friend was crying because her and her boyfriend got into a fight but her boyfriend is quite controling and abusive so i was happy they had a chance of breaking up,i was telling her that it was a god thing but i couldnt tell if it was helping. how do you console and comfort a person?

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

faithfilly
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2013, 10:01 am

You console and comfort a person by being there when she needs you and not judging her for her mistakes. Don't forget your friend needs to go through a grieving period. She also needs you to be strong and unafraid to gently guide her away from abusive relationships.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2013, 10:49 am

in my experience, it is best to avoid your own opinions about the issue, and just agree with whatever your friend says.
if i have to console someone, i offer a shoulder to lean/cry on, and an uninterruptive ear to complain into; this usually works

faithfilly
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2013, 11:01 am

izzeme wrote:
. . . just agree with whatever your friend says.

Even if your friend says the abusive boyfriend has changed and won't be abusive anymore?

To agree with a girl friend who thinks her boyfriend has changed and won't be abusive anymore can be like giving your drug addict friend more drugs that will destroy her life.