Not able to tell i have trouble with AS things

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

kembleman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Mar 2013, 4:54 am

I am not sure if anyone else does this but when i have trouble with a lot of aspie related stuff i don't tend to show it.
If I have a trouble with my vision or hearing and i am irritated or it is very hard to dosomething i never
showed that i was having trouble like i had no physical reaction to it

Is this a bad thing not showing your having difficulties or just telling someone
because usually people don't understand why something could be a disturbance for me or they make some kind of joke because of it?

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2013, 5:01 am

Depends.

If it could help you by showing it or making a request to someone (ie to turn down the volume on something) then let it be known so you don't have to suffer.

If the people you're around are realistically likely to be jerks about it, it's a great camouflage to be able to completely hide whatever's bothering you so they don't have any ammunition to use against you.

If it's not realistic that they'd be jerks about it, and you're just anxiously assuming they would, then you may be doing yourself a real disservice. The trick is going to be able to tell when you're around kind understanding people, and when you're around wastes of air that you'd be better off not disclosing anything to.

kembleman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Mar 2013, 5:14 am

The harder problem was when my mum asked me how my day was and just unable to say what was really happening but if i did tell her she did'nt think that was a major issues that she wanted to be apart of.No matter how many times i brought aspie issues up i felt like i had to do everything by myself.
I am getting a diagnosis now for aspergers but because my mum never saw any aspie related trouble with me even though i did say something about it i could'nt get a good diagnosis,maybe others have had problems with not showing your having difficulties with aspie stuff?

Thanks for any comments it would be great.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2013, 5:30 am

I have, but I didn't know that's what it was back then.

Now if I'm getting frustrated, or anxious, or something else is going on - if those around me need to know it, I'll explain as best I can, especially when I recognize it's actually an "aspie stuff," type of problem going on. It's been pretty easy to do that since I've read so much about ASD stuff now that I can recognize what AS thing is going on - including when I had a bit of mutism & "couldn't," respond to a question due to how it was worded - because any answer to the question would have been a lie, so I just froze. Once I realized what was going on, I explained why I couldn't respond and what the problem with the wording of the loaded question was etc. Fortunately for me, those around me are family and friends who aren't going to dismiss what I say or be as*holes about it. Many of them are AS themselves and just learning about it, but I've educated myself more about it than they have so far. Either way, it makes them pretty open to it.

Maaaaybe when there's no "Aspie stuff," going on at all you should bring this subject up with your mum and discuss it? Educate her on these things you're telling us now. Maybe she doesn't realize you go through them, or that you might want to describe it to her so she understands it and you and that you need her to be patient receptive to learning and being supportive.

Then again, I don't know your mum. If she's *not* the type of person who's ever going to be right to talk to about these things, then perhaps you need a different family member or friend you can discuss them with? Someone you're genuinely comfortable with being around that you could pretty well say anything to without worry, who would support you in whatever way they could - even if it was just listening for a bit.

kembleman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Mar 2013, 5:51 am

goldfish21 wrote:
I have, but I didn't know that's what it was back then.

Now if I'm getting frustrated, or anxious, or something else is going on - if those around me need to know it, I'll explain as best I can, especially when I recognize it's actually an "aspie stuff," type of problem going on. It's been pretty easy to do that since I've read so much about ASD stuff now that I can recognize what AS thing is going on - including when I had a bit of mutism & "couldn't," respond to a question due to how it was worded - because any answer to the question would have been a lie, so I just froze. Once I realized what was going on, I explained why I couldn't respond and what the problem with the wording of the loaded question was etc. Fortunately for me, those around me are family and friends who aren't going to dismiss what I say or be as*holes about it. Many of them are AS themselves and just learning about it, but I've educated myself more about it than they have so far. Either way, it makes them pretty open to it.

Maaaaybe when there's no "Aspie stuff," going on at all you should bring this subject up with your mum and discuss it? Educate her on these things you're telling us now. Maybe she doesn't realize you go through them, or that you might want to describe it to her so she understands it and you and that you need her to be patient receptive to learning and being supportive.

Then again, I don't know your mum. If she's *not* the type of person who's ever going to be right to talk to about these things, then perhaps you need a different family member or friend you can discuss them with? Someone you're genuinely comfortable with being around that you could pretty well say anything to without worry, who would support you in whatever way they could - even if it was just listening for a bit.

Something happened only last year that she actually took notice and thought something was up with me because i was distressed and depressed which made me completely open for showing i have alot of aspie problems but i didn't know what made her realise without me saying.She took a magazine about something just out of the blue one day and read about a girl with Aspergers and told me that i might have the same thing because of how i behaved.I never knew of aspergers before this occurred.But i do now.

My mum was the first person to understand out of my whole family but not entirely although she got me a diagnosis.Were still learning about it and she is understanding how its effected me so i am almost back tracking my whole life to when i first had trouble but i can remember a lot anyway so i don't have a lot of difficulty answering questions just to tell somebody about it.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2013, 6:02 am

Read some books about it so you're better able to figure out what's going on with yourself, an then better able to communicate it. Have your mum read the same books. Educating yourselves will make the whole process go much smoother much quicker vs. having to stumble through a bunch of self discovery stuff & potentially never even realizing that so many more things you do/think/feel etc are related to AS that you could be working on improving. Then there won't be so much of a communication barrier between you and your mum about it if you're on the same page, by literally having read and comprehended the same pages.

kembleman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Mar 2013, 6:14 am

goldfish21 wrote:
Read some books about it so you're better able to figure out what's going on with yourself, an then better able to communicate it. Have your mum read the same books. Educating yourselves will make the whole process go much smoother much quicker vs. having to stumble through a bunch of self discovery stuff & potentially never even realizing that so many more things you do/think/feel etc are related to AS that you could be working on improving. Then there won't be so much of a communication barrier between you and your mum about it if you're on the same page, by literally having read and comprehended the same pages.

I hope to show her some things about me so i can talk about something she understands from books or other sources of information i can get.