My visit to the 'psychological nurse' next tuesday

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

Cafeaulait
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2013, 12:17 pm

Hello everyone,

I haven't been diagnosed with aspergers syndrome (yet), but lately my life just seems so dull and I've always felt like there was something different about me. So a few days ago I went to see my physician to talk about my problems. I told her that I feel lonely quite a lot, I am kind of socially anxious, I only have two friends. And also I can't seem to get my ass dragged away from my computer. All I do is go to the university when mandatory (4 hours a week) and I spend the rest of my time behind the computer. I think I see friends twice a month. I just feel like my life is empty and I can't seem to motivate myself to do something with my life.
And then I mentionned to her that I've always felt 'different', people have told me I am, and that my younger sister had PDD-NOS.
I asked her for a direct refferal to an autism diagnosis centre (clinical psychologist), but she said that maybe it was better to first talk to the 'psychological nurse', and if 'she notices anything', she will refer me to clinical diagnost. I said yes.
But now I have no idea which things I should and should not say. There are two things going through my mind:
1. I don't want to 'persuade' her (the nurse) to think I have aspergers, if this is not the case. I am not so sure of it myself, but I do recognize myself in some of the traits.
2. I don't want her to think that 'I'm just a little anxious' or 'I'm just a little stressed out with life'. If there is something pathological/pervasive going on, I hope she recognizes it.

I don't want to blow this in the water so I really want a proper assesement of everything.

What should I say? Which are the key points I should mention?

I'm going next week.