Page 4 of 11 [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next

Do you think Asperger's affects music taste?
yes 61%  61%  [ 119 ]
no 39%  39%  [ 75 ]
Total votes : 194

Kalika
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Mar 2013, 1:01 pm

Well.....in my family, I've always been the one who's considered to have "weird" taste in music, but I would say it's more like they haven't heard of most of the artists in question.

Zeromancer
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 Mar 2013, 6:43 pm

I like rock, metal and some kinds of dubstep, electronic and trance.
That's why my favourite "bands" (they actually all consist of just one guy) are Celldweller, Blue Stahli and Voicians.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2013, 8:38 pm

Tequila wrote:
I have a very odd taste in music, yes.

What are your favorite bands?

Imweird
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Mar 2013, 9:42 pm

OK this is embarrassing but I have to mention it. I have this weird and immature "hobby" of digitally remastering songs so that they are all messed up with regard to pitch, tempo, arrangement, etc. I sit there giggling like a 6 year old girl while doing it. Is this an autistic trait or am I just nuts? I should add that sometimes my mother finds it funny too and she's 84!

EQ: 17
You are very likely an Aspie

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2013, 9:44 pm

^That just sounds like amazing fun.

aspiewhostandsalone
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Mar 2013, 10:41 pm

Well I think my asperger's does effect my taste in music due to the fact that i'm not just restricted to one decade and i listen to all kinds of genres from country to classic rock and some of my favorite bands are: AC/DC, the Cranberries, Nine Inch Nails Weezer and The Strokes. by far the most obscure band i heard of is the Strokes and it can be considered wierd and not mainstream enough(since i have listened to them since 2003 when their second album "Room On Fire" came out). and back then NO ONE heard of them but now they have gone more mainstream. Oh yea I absolutely CAN NOT STAND anything made since about 2008 in pop music since it sounds SO SYNTHETIC and MANUFACTURED and makes me pine for the days of REAL music!

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2013, 11:02 pm

aspiewhostandsalone wrote:
Well I think my asperger's does effect my taste in music due to the fact that i'm not just restricted to one decade and i listen to all kinds of genres from country to classic rock and some of my favorite bands are: AC/DC, the Cranberries, Nine Inch Nails Weezer and The Strokes. by far the most obscure band i heard of is the Strokes and it can be considered wierd and not mainstream enough(since i have listened to them since 2003 when their second album "Room On Fire" came out). and back then NO ONE heard of them but now they have gone more mainstream. Oh yea I absolutely CAN NOT STAND anything made since about 2008 in pop music since it sounds SO SYNTHETIC and MANUFACTURED and makes me pine for the days of REAL music!

I don't consider The Strokes an obscure band. Most "indie" music these days is actually pretty well known. The most obscure artists I listen to are usually pop or folk artists.

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2013, 11:35 pm

Imweird wrote:
OK this is embarrassing but I have to mention it. I have this weird and immature "hobby" of digitally remastering songs so that they are all messed up with regard to pitch, tempo, arrangement, etc. I sit there giggling like a 6 year old girl while doing it. Is this an autistic trait or am I just nuts? I should add that sometimes my mother finds it funny too and she's 84!

The 6 year old girl part very likely, the rest just maybe aswell.

Another thing I thought of is long term memory, aspies are known for having an abnormally amazing long term memory and I know I have a verson of this myself. I wonder compaired to your NT age group peers if this roots some of your musical tastes in a generation before them. I was born in 1990 and the whole basic grunge/post classic rock sound(1990-97) had a fairly large effect on me for some time and I developed solid music intrests in this time, where is the rest of my school age peers appeared to wait until their later ages 10+(year 2000+) to find solid music intrest and consistancy like I had when I was about 3-5.

In general when I think of the sound of my generation I actually ID with the sound of the that of end of my parents becouse I was fully aware of it, where is my peers ID with the rap/hip hop/metal/dance of a decade later(I hated the majority of this) as they simply wern't able to mentally take in and understand what I was able to at such a young age.

To tell the trouth we were the same with cars and TV shows etc. aswell. I'm just throwing this little observation out there however If this is something real then its AS related for sure.

DJFester
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2013, 2:39 am

Despite being a long-time DJ with a well-known obsession in electronic dance music, I can and do enjoy most genres of music except for rap and country... just not as obsessively. :lol:

glow
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2013, 8:45 pm

Dunno really. if music be the food of love play on 8O im indigenous anyway

Ca2MgFe5Si8O22OH2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Apr 2013, 3:46 am

I listen to music in dead languages and from every corner of the world but barely recognize american pop music. I have no idea if this is an aspie thing or not.

Conversion Disorder, General/Social Anxiety Disorder, Major Depression

Glasskitten
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 May 2013, 8:01 pm

I would be interested to know if autism influenced my musical tastes. It might explain why the way I classify and select music doesn't line up with existing genre systems. I seem to be listening for different characteristics than whoever it is that defines genres for widespread use.

I am already fairly sure AS influences which songs I hate passionately. ;) Play something vapid or sensory-screwing once, I might be slightly irritated. Play it at top volume over and over again, I'll want to punch you, the media device, the artist, and the radio station. These "Top 40" radio stations I keep hearing about--are those the things responsible for playing the same omnicide-inducing songs over and over again for the apparent purpose of driving me mad?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2013, 8:34 pm

If you're an aspie you get conditioned by your peers to think of yourself as a 'wierdo' as you grow up so often you capitalize on it and run with it as your idenity- so you collect weird music to express your identity. So in that indirect sense it can effect your taste in music. No one lives in a vacuum. People respond to the external social surroundings ( even if they socially inept).

I went through a ravi shankar sitar listening phase.

But unless you have sensory issues it doesnt effect your taste in music directly via neurology.

There are NT's who like obscure progressive rock, and there are aspies Ive meet online who "listen to country music all of the way-nothing else", or listen to bubblegum pop.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2013, 8:39 pm

glow wrote:
Dunno really. if music be the food of love play on 8O im indigenous anyway

indigenous?

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2013, 9:45 pm

Weird music lover here. I go through periods of liking really specific kinds of music and artists, and my overall musical taste spans across multiple genres. I tend to go for artists that are innovative and highly individualistic.

I know many other people on the spectrum that have either unusual or highly specific music tastes, given what their same-age peers listen to. I do believe that AS can affect musical taste and can make those with it crave very specific experiences with all forms of media (not just music, but with things like favorite TV shows and movies).

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2013, 7:28 am

Greb wrote:
DevilKisses wrote:
Most of the music I listen to is Nordic. I've been obsessed with the Nordic folk music scene lately. I don't listen to very much Canadian music. What other "viking folk" groups do you like?

I had my nordic folk obsessed years ago :D . Now I'm more into medieval folk scene, specially the german one (last 5-10 years, it has grown exponentially).

Hedningarna was my favourite group by far. I used to listen a lot to Värttinä (I love the Kalevala, have you ever listen to it live? it's sounds far better than recorded), that was the first group I discovered, Gjallarhorn and Garmarna. As you can see, not exactly the more actual ones. From more modern times I like Valravn.

Nice to see someone who shares some of my musical tastes. Garmarna makes a rather nice version of Vänner och Fränder" and "Herr Mannelig," though In Extremo's Mittelalterrock version is great, save for their utter inability to accurately pronounce words (the music is great, though). Fortíð makes one dark folk version of the classic Icelandic ballad "Krummavísur" as well.