Page 7 of 11 [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Do you think Asperger's affects music taste?
yes 61%  61%  [ 119 ]
no 39%  39%  [ 75 ]
Total votes : 194

alisoncc
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Jan 2015, 7:45 pm

Don't think there is such a thing as a weird taste in music. Different genre's appeal to different people and at different times. Currently I am listening to a CD of Gregorian chant in Latin by the Benedictine Nuns of Notre-Dame in Avignon, France. Very relaxing. Later I might listen to a compilation of Leonard Cohen, Cat Stephens, Roy Orbison and others that I burnt to a CD for my own use.

Dependant upon how I feel (mood) could stick some Handel (Watermusic) or Ravel (Bolero) in the player. Or switch totally to early Joan Baez and Dylan on vinyl as the mood takes me.

Specific music I do enjoy would have to include Leonard Cohen - Hallelujah, The Partisan, That's no way to say Goodbye and Bird on a Wire. Cat Stephens - Father and Son, Moonshadow, Morning has Broken and How can I tell you. The Animals - House of the Rising Sun. Roy Orbison - Only the Lonely, Love Hurts.

Suggest a significant determinant of the quality of a piece of music is the Test of Time. If it can still be heard in ten, twenty, thirty years time, or even a few centuries then it's probably good. Whereas if it's forgotten in weeks or months of being written/played, then it's probably not worth listening to in the first place. But that's just my opinion.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

Kenya
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2015, 7:50 pm

ImAnAspie wrote:
I've listened to the same song at least twice a day (sometimes much more) for the last 5 years - Stars Of The Lid's - Artificial Pine Arch Song!

Never missed a day! That's Aspie!

I kinda have a similar thing where I'll listen to one song about 20 times in a single day everyday for about a week. If that's not Aspie, I don't know what is.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2015, 9:07 pm

ImAnAspie wrote:
I've listened to the same song at least twice a day (sometimes much more) for the last 5 years - Stars Of The Lid's - Artificial Pine Arch Song!

Damn that's impressive

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2015, 12:41 am

Feyokien wrote:
ImAnAspie wrote:

Damn that's impressive

Thank you :)

Listen to it on YouTube. I'm sure you'll like it!

Your Aspie score: 151 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 60 of 200

Formally diagnosed in 2007.

Learn the simple joy of being satisfied with little, rather than always wanting more.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2015, 12:45 am

ImAnAspie wrote:
Feyokien wrote:
ImAnAspie wrote:

Damn that's impressive

Listen to it on YouTube. I'm sure you'll like it!

I will right now

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2015, 12:53 am

Shameless plug:
cberg's weird music thread

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2015, 1:03 am

.....beautiful.....

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2015, 1:10 am

music reproduced on a full-bore theatrical Wurlitzer pipe organ with all the toy counter fxs going.

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2015, 1:16 am

Feyokien wrote:
.....beautiful.....

Your Aspie score: 151 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 60 of 200

Formally diagnosed in 2007.

Learn the simple joy of being satisfied with little, rather than always wanting more.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2015, 2:03 pm

Big fan of pop music here. I get enough music that I like and enjoy through the mainstream channels. The current Top 40 is filled with songs that I like (though there are a couple that I can't stand), and attempts to explore more 'alternative' channels hasn't led me to finding more bands or artists -percentually speaking- that I find more engaging than the mainstream stuff. I suspect that my brain isn't sophisticated enough to notice those subtleties.

gamerdad
Toucan
Toucan

18 Jan 2015, 2:15 pm

I'd say that this quote from Slate Star Codex pretty well encapsulates my relationship with music.

Quote:
Well, sometimes people will tell you a certain food is high-status or healthy or a thing that everyone enjoys, and then I would like it. And a lot of times I just ate whatever was in front of me or ordered whatever the cheapest vegetarian thing on the menu was. And I… sort of vaguely had a sense that some things were more pleasurable to eat than other things but I didn’t like _keep track_ of what they were or anything. Because if I knew I might like the _wrong things_. And also because I didn’t intuitively grasp that the “liking” thing everyone was talking about was related to pleasure and not to like popularity/status.

Nagalis
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Jan 2015, 3:58 pm

People like to think I only listen to obscure music, for whatever reason.
I guess it's kind of become a joke, but it's still confusing to me.
I mean, I don't deliberately seek out bands and artists only a relatively few have heard of.
It just so happens that some types of music I like are "underground" by default.
And while I like some well-known stuff, such as The Killers, David Bowie, Ramones, and whatnot, I think a big part of the "u only listen 2 bands w/ 5 listeners"-routine is that the people saying this simply have a pretty limited scope. Anyone who's really into music would most likely look at you weird if you told them Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds are obscure. It's relative.

And I hate calling things "weird."
I'm not going to go on a crusade against the term, but I'm not also not going to use it to describe any piece of entertainment. "Weird fiction" being the exception to this rule, as it actually does tell you something.

WAautisticguy
Toucan
Toucan

01 Feb 2015, 3:23 pm

I've gone through many phases of music. When I was very very little (3?) it was mostly nursery rhymes...Old MacDonald, Clementine, Little Miss Muffet etc etc.
I think I had all 4 of these CDs from The Countdown Kids...all nursery rhymes sang by four 1st-2nd graders. Believe they were Canadian. This was the one I played the most: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41C4XKWZCJL.jpg
At the same time, I was also getting into the relaxing format of smooth jazz. We had a local SJ station in Seattle on 98.9 and that's what I would listen to day after day. Loved hearing Peter White, Sade, Paul Hardcastle etc. AND STILL DO! Right now at the age of 17 1/2, my #1 format to listen to is smooth jazz. Most people find that "elevator music" and "boring", but I like the groovy, relaxing sound of a sax or guitar instrumental. Also enjoy the smooth R&B from Sade, Anita Baker, Basia etc. that aired on SJ stations. I would go to sleep with smooth jazz playing on the radio, instead of a CD or cassette with lullabies and Mozart pieces.

I was still mainly a SJ listener for many years, then around 2007-08 got into 60s/70s oldies, back to smooth jazz and soft rock, then a phase of modern country music over a couple of years...because my mom loved country music. Back to smooth jazz. Stayed with mostly soft rock/smooth jazz after that, but do listen to some 90s country, 60s/70s oldies, 80s pop, and some classic rock here and there. Also enjoy the throwback Rhythmic adult contemporary hits from people like Janet Jackson and Whitney Houston. Can't stand most soft rock stations nowadays...they have turned into light versions of top 40 stations. Back in the 1990s, there was a lot more love songs. Now it's the 245th place on the dial to find Katy Perry and One Direction.

Probably 99% of my high school would care less about a 2001 sax cut from Kim Waters. But that's my type of music. They would rather put rap into their car's speaker system and boom boom boom their ears out.

avhärda
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Feb 2015, 8:48 am

My favourite type of music has always been video game music. With no words. At this very moment I have a video game music radio station playing in the background :P

I've always been ashamed of this and tried to teach myself to listen to contemporary music as well but just can't really get all that into it.

I do like certain normal bands though, mostly soft/normal rock (i.e. not heavy) bands with male vocals.

The cleaner. The baker. Living in my own JRPG-world.

Aspie: 99/200
NT: 112/200

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2015, 10:08 am

I like a lot of old folk music (like from Newfoundland). The strumming of an acoustic guitar is one of my favourite sounds in the world. Part of this might just be that that's what I'm exposed to (my mom and uncle, as well as my next-door neighbours, sing a lot of those types of songs). I also like a lot of classic rock/pop songs. I think my tastes are a bit sappier/more sentimental than those of the average person.

I also like mainstream pop, though.

darkphantomx1
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2015, 10:24 am

I enjoy listening to bluegrass screamo much to the dismay of my Grandpa who is a banjo player.

When i'm home I practise my screaming skills so I can join a screamo band. My parents are always like wtf is this kid doing?