Page 5 of 11 [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next

Do you think Asperger's affects music taste?
yes 61%  61%  [ 119 ]
no 39%  39%  [ 75 ]
Total votes : 194

syndragon
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 May 2013, 10:31 am

Its hard to define odd. Odd depends on the person and if he had listened to it before.

But as an Aspie I only know ONE person that knows some of the stuff that I listen to, and he is a music teacher. So..
And that also make me a lonely person, cuz where I live there is no club,bar or whichever place that plays what I listen to.

You know any of these?

Philip Glass
Aphex Twin
Autechre
Godspeed you! Black emperor
Labirinto

and lots more

hans66
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 May 2013, 2:56 pm

I cannot speak for other austistics but I have a very unusual musical taste. It is not very different, but its very broad.

A former group home staff member told me that autistics are often attracted to synthesizer music. I don't know if that is true. I especially liked synth music when I was younger, but I still like it, but I am heavily influenced by The Beatles, Queen and Eastern European music.

When I was a child or a young adolescent, I was heavily attracted to synth music, and I always wished to have a music workstation that can do the same as the synth in the music can. My brother was a Beatles fanatic. In the beginning I wasn't interested in the Beatles, but later on I started listening to their music, and then I thought: "Their music is actually very good! No wonder my NT brother was a fanatic!" I did everything to learn the music so that I can play lots of Beatles music on my musical instruments.

My taste for italo music is not gone. I listened to "Shoot Your Shot" by Divine, "Happy Station" and "Colour My Love" by Fun Fun. Later on I became interested in music by Jean-Michel Jarre. But I also added classical music to my taste: Tchaikovski, Prokofiev, Mozart, Bach, etc.

I was trying to compose my own music. Mainly ambient or dance music but I was experimenting with strange measures. Most favorite is 7/8 music. I was heavily influenced by Eastern European Slavic music. I combined synth sounds with acoustic sounds such as flute, clarinette, oboe, strings, etc. I was also experimenting with mixing styles: combining italo with rock and roll or tango. I am also experimenting with jazzy harmonic effects by using unusual chors in a song like "It's A Wonderful World" by Louis Armstrong.

And my experiments on music are not over yet. Oh no, they aren't!

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2013, 5:14 pm

I like very mainstream music, but almost none of my friends listen to it, so it's not a social thing. I think I just like hyper, energetic, and upbeat stuff that makes me feel good about myself.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

atom84
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 May 2013, 9:58 pm

I've been told repeatedly that my music taste is strange, I tend to stick to only one or two genres (progressive rock and alternative mainly, some metal) but I am very particular about a singer's voice, it has to have some kind of melody to it, I can't deal with nonstop screaming or almost speaking instead of singing (Beck, for example or Cake). I also cannot get into music that is about love and emotions, and I will develop sudden "obsessions" with particular bands that can last years. For the past two years it has been Coheed and Cambria because the lyrics are sci-fi adventure and any songs they play that do regard emotion are very subtle in using emotional words. It also probably has to do with the fact also that their songs are soundtracks to the science fiction comics that the lead singer also writes, The Amory Wars, of which I have two graphic novels with the comic compilations so far, so it fits my need to research information by listening to one of their songs and seeing how it relates to that particular storyline in the comics. I also hate it if I'm having to drive someone somewhere and they want to listen to mainstream music instead of mine (please protect yourself from my wrath if you want to listen to something like Taylor Swift in my car, I cannot deal with love songs like that at all :x )

vanhalenkurtz
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2013, 4:58 am

I've been into a lot of different genres. I write articles for Perfect Sound Forever about them as they arise. The main "AS" element in my taste is the depth in which I pursue whatever it is I get attracted to. Total research. So being a music critic is a natural fit. But the connection between 101 Strings, Stryper and Linda Ronstadt remains unknown to me. All I know, once in, all the way in.

EQ: 6.

Grimdalus
Raven
Raven

25 May 2013, 5:07 am

I suppose you can call military style classical music and metal as strange music taste.

NorthPark
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2013, 10:02 am

I really don't think so. But a good 1/4 of my music came from the 1980s and it's mostly synthpop. So it's not weird, just dated.

I do know somebody who has Green Day and Lil Wayne songs on the same Mp3 player. Don't think she's "off" though.

MBTI- ISTP

JupiterSpace
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Jan 2015, 8:46 am

If You Like Weird Music Listen To Vinter In Vegas, He Is A Fellow Aspie!

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2015, 9:01 am

I don't know, to some people it probably is...a large majority of people have never even heard of most of what I listen to it seems. Though I like so much music its likely I will like at least one band any person I interact with likes as well, unless they only listen specifically to music I dislike. I do avoid todays mainstream music not even sure what all is popular since I try to avoid the radio since its likely crap, but there is still lots of good music.

Eustace
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

14 Jan 2015, 9:54 am

It's an interesting thought, but I am inclined to say that Aspergers does affect what music I listen to.

I listen to two types of music really, and only three artists, Aphex Twin, Luke Vibert (and all his aliases), and Venetian Snares. The two types of music I listen to are Ambient and IDM. On the ambient side of things, I adore the layering of various synthesizers and the shifting of tones. On the IDM side of things, I adore the fast-paced, conflicting, harsh, seemingly-random arrangement of various (and numerous) sounds, including complex drums. I listen intently to both types, in different - but comparable - ways.

I think with the ambient music, my subconscious understands the floating nature and evolution of the tracks, and its as if I can feel the music - feelings which I generally miss out on or don't experience in my life. The IDM is a workout for my head, it's like trying to figure out a complex mathematics equation by de-constructing each variable, except with IDM its separating each kick, each snare, each hi-hat and crash, each clap and other percussive instrument, while understanding the story being told by the background notes.

I think my Aspergers mind allows me to analyse these songs to such a high extent, and this I love. I don't miss any of the sounds - just as each sound in real life is always present. I also love ASMR, of which is highly relaxing to me.

I think my hypersensitive hearing really allows me to explore each and every sounds that comes through the music. One of my favourite past times is to listen to Venetian Snare's track entitled "Frictional Nevada" and clap every time one goes off in the song, it only took me a few times to master it. Great stuff.

Eustace.

"If an artist of any of the arts does not experiment, play, nor venture beyond their own capacities, then they may as well put down their instrument of creation, for if one does not search for new frontiers of expansion, they run the risk of mindlessly creating works of generic monotonousness. One must satire their own works to stay unique, and to create pieces that inspire the next generation to push their own creativity even further, and within creativity lies an undiscovered genius."

nerdygirl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2015, 10:07 am

AS has affected my taste in music, but has not determined it.

This is how:
1. I am generally oblivious to popular culture unless it is specifically pointed out to me.
2. I don't care if what I like is not the same as everyone else. I like what I like, and I feel comfortable exploring territory that others aren't exploring.
3. I like things more intense, so the music I like tends to be more intense than what is digestible on a popular level.

Though I like having people to talk to about music I like, I won't adapt my musical tastes just to fit in. Instead, I will try to find people who share unusual musical tastes.

I do like a little bit of popular music that I find to be excellent (very little is, IMO.) But, generally, I like classical music (broad definition), indie artists, jazz (not lite), and music from a generation or two older than mine (stuff that was more fringe than popular even then.)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2015, 10:11 am

I have an interest in most kinds of music.

I particularly like early blues, early jazz, early rock-n-roll, doo-wopp, and psychedelia.

I also like classical--because of its infinite variety; whereas popular music tends to be somewhat formulaic as far as the actual "music" is concerned. The lyrics in popular music range from total inanity to total sublimity.

I don't like "gangsta" rap and "New Age" music.

I don't think my ASD affects my tastes in music.

Shadow Wolf
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Jan 2015, 12:18 pm

I'm not sure. Myself I prefer metal, classical, electronic, and even Gregorian chantings. I have some more mainstream bands, but most people who look at my playlist only recognize a few names.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2015, 6:38 pm

I got into Gregorian Chant when I went to the Cloisters in New York City at the age of 15.

It's really haunting, in a transcendent sort of sense.

Whatplanet
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Jan 2015, 6:51 pm

Surely anybody who is on the outside of normality whether it was for neurological, cultural or psychological reasons would not be drawn to popular music?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2015, 7:07 pm

Many people with alternative neurology ARE drawn to popular music.