Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

DrThunder
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Mar 2013, 12:03 am

I have a full time job but I despise being around other people all day and taking orders from an idiot supervisor. The thought of going into the office gives me anxiety attacks and puts knots in my stomach. This cannot go on and I am getting desperate.

I don't need much money; I'm fairly self sufficient and live a spartan lifestyle. I would find life much more satisfying if I stayed at home playing WoW.

A recent story on NPR said that claiming full disability provides benefits in the range of $12k/year. If that is tax free it is enough to get by, supplemented by my other sources of income. Has anyone been successful at qualifying based on an Asperger's diagnosis, and if so, what techniques worked for you?

One other thing I should mention: due to a childhood incident I am deathly afraid of African Americans. From what I understand a large percentage of them are on disability, so if I have to visit the disability office in person it could be a deal killer. Is there a way to sign up online?

eegore
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Mar 2013, 7:26 am

I suggest you change your lifestyle and and find a job that puts you away from people. Rangers field survey etc. I think what you should do is find a career change and change your work environment. You will be much happier in the long run. You could even go int business for yourself and make your own options. If it involves sales, get a front man working on commission.

gratin
Raven
Raven

29 Mar 2013, 7:39 am

DrThunder wrote:
I have a full time job but I despise being around other people all day and taking orders from an idiot supervisor. The thought of going into the office gives me anxiety attacks and puts knots in my stomach. This cannot go on and I am getting desperate.

I don't need much money; I'm fairly self sufficient and live a spartan lifestyle. I would find life much more satisfying if I stayed at home playing WoW.

A recent story on NPR said that claiming full disability provides benefits in the range of $12k/year. If that is tax free it is enough to get by, supplemented by my other sources of income. Has anyone been successful at qualifying based on an Asperger's diagnosis, and if so, what techniques worked for you?

One other thing I should mention: due to a childhood incident I am deathly afraid of African Americans. From what I understand a large percentage of them are on disability, so if I have to visit the disability office in person it could be a deal killer. Is there a way to sign up online?

I had that problem at work. I dreaded every day and spent the weekend worrying about Monday ... spent the evenings bingeing and purging. I wasn't able to find work away from people. Am now trying to start my own business but don't know how that'll go. It got so bad that I had to decide between suicide or giving up work.

If work is proving to much it might be an idea to claim disability for a while to give you a break. I'm the UK and claiming depends on how much help you need. Here fear of people of African decent would be classed as part of your disability - you would need help in unfamiliar places, etc. Also problems you have with people because you're an Aspie would help qualify you for it - not able to understand body language / isolation unless you have someone to help / accompany / motivate you in social situations.

The most important thing here is being able to provide evidence to back up what you say ... here that means making the doctor / therapists very aware of the problems you face.

bizboy1
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2013, 9:24 am

I didn't qualify for social security because I didn't work long enough. I however did qualify for SSI, which I get, and is around 800 bucks a month. It's enough for me to survive with my parents. I pay rent and have enough for food, insurance, and a little gas.

bizboy1
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2013, 9:26 am

To be honest, you probably wont get disability. Anxiety is not enough. They will want you to take pills and such. I only got it because my doctors think I have schizophrenia too, which I doubt.

briankelley
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2013, 11:41 am

DrThunder wrote:
A recent story on NPR said that claiming full disability provides benefits in the range of $12k/year.

Ha, I make more than twice that sitting by myself in a guard shack using my laptop. A lot of posting I do here, I do while "on the clock". As long as I don't let any bad guys come onto the property, they don't care if I use my computer or read a book. I've been doing it for 20 years. Zero stress. Almost total freedom. Qualifying for disability ain't easy. Not by a long shot. But if you qualify, I suppose you are qualified to receive it. You're gonna need a ton of documentation.

Chloe33
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2013, 1:46 pm

DrThunder wrote:

If you are really afraid of African Americans, you will have a hard time getting SSD or SSI many work there, you have to get over your fear it's ridiculous they are just humans., Everyone is the same on the inside. Skin everyone and we're all the same inside.

What childhood incident could possibly make you afraid of African Americans?? Did one fall out of a tree in land on you when you were a child? If so then, my gf knows you.

First off you need to get a therapist to help you get over that irrational fear.

Second there are many jobs out there where you don't really have to deal with many people. Be a forest ranger alone with the MT.

3rd, it's hard to get SSI or SSD you really are gonna have to jump through hoops, red tape, etc.
I am lucky to have it since i got into the system in my late teens. I had numerous case workers, treatment teams, have been inpatient. The caseworker at one hospital helped get me SSD (which i get since my father was a VET) otherwise if you don't have a parent in the military you get SSI. They won't just hand it out, you really have to have a history of some sort documented and proved. Various different mental illness.

I don't know of any cases in which someone Aspergers gets it. My friend has Aspergers and does, however he also had another mental diagnosis prior which still applies.

briankelley
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2013, 1:53 pm

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally." - W. C. Fields

Chloe33
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2013, 3:00 pm

briankelley wrote:
"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally." - W. C. Fields

I love that one it was my friend Becca and also my gfs fav too "i hate everyone equally" :D

restlesspirit
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Mar 2013, 6:02 pm

I do sub teacher aid work,, i pick and chose my jobs, im handed a schedule..and I pretty much don't have to interact a lot with adults..no one expects a sub to be sociable..and the kids aren't judgmental if im a bit different,, and if im having a bad aspie day I don't work,, fortunately I have retirement. if i were you id look seriously into different work, like,,what are your life long passions....look at training for one of those..or find a job that u are suitable for.

johntober
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Mar 2013, 10:21 pm

DrThunder wrote:

You can begin the initial application online but will eventually have to go in the office for a face to face. Also, there are many office workers of said racial group employed there.

Chloe33
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2013, 4:16 am

Your disability is going to have to be well documented also. They aren't going to just hand out ssi.

If you currently have doctors that you go to such as a psychiatrist and psychologist, maybe they can help you process or deal with your fear of black people.

Also if you get a case worker (hopefully a good one which can be hard to find as many have huge caseloads) they should be able to help.
Then eventually you might get another case worker with the dept of social services..

DarkRain
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2013, 4:07 pm

Chloe33 wrote:
Your disability is going to have to be well documented also. They aren't going to just hand out ssi.

That's the truth. I was denied SSI the first time, and I have a hearing to go to next month to see if I qualify with my Asperger's,