Page 2 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

How do you feel about having neighbours?
It bothers me, but I can bear it 52%  52%  [ 34 ]
I hate it, it drives me insane 32%  32%  [ 21 ]
does not bother me at all 12%  12%  [ 8 ]
I don't have neighbours 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 65

briankelley
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2013, 6:43 am

It bothers me, but I can bear it.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2013, 6:50 am

nessa238 wrote:
always there to take in parcels for either side

That's another bugbear for me. I have once taken in a parcel for a neighbour and wouldn't do it again, apart from the fact that I kindly took it round to them, didn't wait for them to collect it, and was greeted with an unfriendly stony face and no word of thanks, I hate the inconvenience of never knowing when they will turn up to collect it.

Likewise I don't want my parcels left with a neighbour. (I've had problems with neighbours denying having parcels before when the courier card said they had it and I peeped into their hallway and saw it there (whilst they stood there denying it) which was the point at which they gave it up, and another time a catalogue was late sending a parcel I paid for next day delivery on because I was going on holiday, the neighbour took it in unknown to me and I had the catalogue sending me threatening letters upon my return. It turned out she had gone abroad for over a month and they wanted their stuff back and they harrassed me endlessly. It was so stressful to deal with.

Never again.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

b9
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2013, 7:13 am

Quote:
Does having neighbours bother you?

no. i bought this house over a year ago and i still have not met my neighbors. i never hear them and they never hear me.
i have seen the neighbour to the west. i have a podium next to a window i stand on when i am thinking, and i used to see her pottering around in her garden, and then i did not see her for a few weeks and i thought she may have died, and i was worried that paramedics may open her door and let the stench roll down the street, but that did not happen. the neighbors to the east i have never seen.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2013, 7:17 am

whirlingmind wrote:
nessa238 wrote:
always there to take in parcels for either side

That's another bugbear for me. I have once taken in a parcel for a neighbour and wouldn't do it again, apart from the fact that I kindly took it round to them, didn't wait for them to collect it, and was greeted with an unfriendly stony face and no word of thanks, I hate the inconvenience of never knowing when they will turn up to collect it.

Likewise I don't want my parcels left with a neighbour. (I've had problems with neighbours denying having parcels before when the courier card said they had it and I peeped into their hallway and saw it there (whilst they stood there denying it) which was the point at which they gave it up, and another time a catalogue was late sending a parcel I paid for next day delivery on because I was going on holiday, the neighbour took it in unknown to me and I had the catalogue sending me threatening letters upon my return. It turned out she had gone abroad for over a month and they wanted their stuff back and they harrassed me endlessly. It was so stressful to deal with.

Never again.

If they don't come and collect it during the day I ask my friend who I live with to take it round. This last week I took in 2 Amazon parcels from the postman for the neighbours on the left and within the next 10 minutes the neighbour came round herself to pick it up as she'd been in all along! They just take a long time opening their front door and the postman evidently couldn't be bothered to wait that long!

The most awkward collection was the neighbour on the right who I find scary - he gives off an aggressive demeanour and makes me feel he sees me as some weird person who's just been let out of an institution or something! I'd had a go at him previously for something when I was having a bad day and he and another man were working in his front garden and I felt they had sat on his front garden wall in a position where they could deliberately look in through my front door window (which has patterned glass). I got so worked up I opened the front door and had a go at him in my nightclothes and he said it wasn't true at all and there was no need to swear. I also brought up the time they'd made a terrible noise pounding the ground on the day of the Royal Wedding when I'd been trying to watch TV. The exchange had ended with him saying 'Shut your face' and me saying 'No'. Lol I couldn't believe I'd said what I did to him - it was like stress build up and paranoia and I could see that he probably wasn't doing anything on purpose but I had felt inhibited as I could see them outside when I was in the bathroom and had to close the blind and then again when went downstairs through the front door glass.

The next interaction we had was when he came to bring round a parcel they'd taken in - I smiled broadly and thanked him in my most friendly manner and he did his usual glaring thing and muttered 'No worries' between gritted teeth

So it's fraught with him but better on the other side lol

We're generally ok with parcels though as we're in most of the time

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2013, 9:10 am

I kind of know how you feel, but I do feel more secure with neighbours nearby, especially ones like mine who aren't the kind of people to cause trouble. But I do get annoyed sometimes. The people joined on to my house always seem to slam every door they go through, not aggressively, it's just to do with the way they are.

Also I can't bear their noise in the summer when they're out in the garden, and I'm trying to relax in the garden trying to enjoy the birds singing and the sunshine and the heat, and the people next door are out in their garden. They have an 6-year-old child who has a very loud, high voice, and he is always shouting excitably when he is playing, and he's even noisier if he has any little friends round. The dad is also quite loud, like if he does something as simple as coughing or clearing his throat, it tends to make me jump for some reason. The mum isn't too loud, although I think she's the one who has a habit of slamming doors.

I would like to be surrounded by quieter people. The people that live in my house are quiet people (unless I'm having an outburst, then there's a din of yelling, screaming, swearing, slamming, banging, etc).

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2013, 2:22 pm

Our 3rd floor neighbors are noisy. They stomp around, they do a lot of boring, hammering and sawing, I hear them opening/shutting the slide doors, there is a lot of seemingly dropping object (by the sounds of it), we hear them cough, sneeze and talk, they're especially easy to hear in the bathroom and kitchen (due to the air ducts), their loud washing machine is on even rather late at night (which on its own doesn't bother me, but the husband came to our door just before Christmas 2008 and complained they could't sleep because there was a humming sound from one of the bedrooms (one of ours, never found out which one), which was BS because nothing was on in either room. I've ignored them after that and get annoyed by everything they do), and their blasted grill is polluting the air every summer. It stinks, causes my asthma to worsen and we have to close the veranda on that side. In addition they have two children (2 of 11 who live in the stairwell atm, can you imagine the noise level at times?) who run around all the time and scream and shout and are generally loud.
I hope they'll move soon!

Quote:
I have once taken in a parcel for a neighbour and wouldn't do it again, apart from the fact that I kindly took it round to them, didn't wait for them to collect it, and was greeted with an unfriendly stony face and no word of thanks

I once found a package for the hag who lived in the apartment where the noisy ones live now in our mailbox. It had been delivered wrong by the postman. I brought it up with our post and rang on her door on the way. She came to the door and asked who it was. I said who I was and explained why I rang the door.
"Can't you just leave it on top of the mailbox?"
I sighed impatiently. "Well, I'm here now. Can't you just take the parcel?" I hadn't gone down again with it, I would've dropped it at her door (and I do mean drop) if she hadn't opened the door. Then she proceeded to ask "what could it be?"
"I don't know," I said feeling about as patient as a bored hyperactive person at this point. "It says Stavanger on the return."
She finally opened the door and accepted the parcel. Had I ever seen another parcel for her in our box I would have left it at the top of the row of mailboxes and quite frankly I would have had a hope that it would fall down.
That was really annoying.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2013, 2:25 pm

Skilpadde wrote:
Our 3rd floor neighbors are noisy. They stomp around, they do a lot of boring, hammering and sawing, I hear them opening/shutting the slide doors, there is a lot of seemingly dropping object (by the sounds of it), we hear them cough, sneeze and talk, they're especially easy to hear in the bathroom and kitchen (due to the air ducts), their loud washing machine is on even rather late at night (which on its own doesn't bother me, but the husband came to our door just before Christmas 2008 and complained they could't sleep because there was a humming sound from one of the bedrooms (one of ours, never found out which one), which was BS because nothing was on in either room. I've ignored them after that and get annoyed by everything they do), and their blasted grill is polluting the air every summer. It stinks, causes my asthma to worsen and we have to close the veranda on that side. In addition they have two children (2 of 11 who live in the stairwell atm, can you imagine the noise level at times?) who run around all the time and scream and shout and are generally loud.
I hope they'll move soon!

Quote:
I have once taken in a parcel for a neighbour and wouldn't do it again, apart from the fact that I kindly took it round to them, didn't wait for them to collect it, and was greeted with an unfriendly stony face and no word of thanks

I once found a package for the hag who lived in the apartment where the noisy ones live now in our mailbox. It had been delivered wrong by the postman. I brought it up with our post and rang on her door on the way. She came to the door and asked who it was. I said who I was and explained why I rang the door.
"Can't you just leave it on top of the mailbox?"
I sighed impatiently. "Well, I'm here now. Can't you just take the parcel?" I hadn't gone down again with it, I would've dropped it at her door (and I do mean drop) if she hadn't opened the door. Then she proceeded to ask "what could it be?"
"I don't know," I said feeling about as patient as a bored hyperactive person at this point. "It says Stavanger on the return."
She finally opened the door and accepted the parcel. Had I ever seen another parcel for her in our box I would have left it at the top of the row of mailboxes and quite frankly I would have had a hope that it would fall down.
That was really annoying.

God, she sounded very annoying! Ungrateful and stupid!

Panddora
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Apr 2013, 3:20 pm

I have had ghastly, nasty neighbours in the past who became an obsession. I have since had neighbours who more or less ignore me. I live in seriously boring suburbia where the lack of interaction makes me more lonely than if I lived somewhere isolated but I have lived in this area most of my life so it is difficult to move on. I also realise that as I have always felt the same wherever I have lived, moving is unlikely to help.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2013, 3:25 pm

EDIT: This reply was to nessa238

^ she was!

and in the past she had made untrue complaints about us as well (calling us whenever someone was boring/hammering, as if ti was an illegal thing to do in day time. Only once was it even us. Complaining about the noise our dog made (which wass none, she wasn't a barking dog at all) and claiming the dog had urinated on the veranda so greenish water ran down to her. At the time the dog was a puppy and we were afraid she'd jump up on the low railing so she wasn't out there alone at that age, the veranda door was closed when we weren't there). She was nice until we got a dog, after that she turned completely.

And yet my mother left our day together (we were gonna enjoy some sweets and play games) because the old hag was too afraid to be alone in the thunder. I think it was incredible to even come to our door and ask us after the way she had acted towards us the last 3 years, at the time! ((this was when I was 11)
I still would have said no had it been me.

While on the subject of that one, she used too much perfume (and she used a heavy one at that), and at one point she got the idea that the trash would get clogged again (because it had been once) so she put cotton in the keyhole to prevent people from using it altogether :roll:

When she got really old, she discussed her feces with us. Really. And they say we have no filter!

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Last edited by Skilpadde on 06 Apr 2013, 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wandering_Stranger
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2013, 4:25 pm

It drives me insane. Neighbours one side have woken me up 3 times this week with their noise :x and have kept me awake once or twice this week with their noise. Not unusual either and my parents have moaned a few times about one of them screaming.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2013, 4:31 pm

I live around people and it doesn't bother me. We have a nice yard and the homes aren't too close. None of them do things that bother me.

When I lived in my apartment, the ones below me bothered me because of their loud music and the one next door would sometimes play his TV too loud and his music too occasionally.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

kamiyu910
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2013, 5:15 pm

I rather dislike neighbors. I like the idea that there is a bit more safety, but other than that... We all live on 0.47 acre lots, much too close together for my taste, but considering I had to live in a townhouse for a year before getting the house, I'll take it. The townhouse was just a two family set up where we only shared one wall. The first tenants we shared the wall with weren't too bad, but I could hear them, especially at night. The second set were just plain horrible. They had finally moved away from home so they were feeling a bit free, couple of college boys. Set their subwoofer and speakers up against the wall and never slept. We lost so much sleep from them... I couldn't live like that, so we moved. We got tired of complaining about them.
I grew up in the middle of nowhere, where one could run around outside naked and not worry about anyone seeing. It was so quiet and nice, and I could actually see the stars. Moving to an area just outside the small "city", everything is so noisy! I've been living here for 4 years now and I'm still bothered by all the cars that zoom down the road late at night, the sirens constantly going making all the dogs howl and bark. Our neighbors are definitely close enough to smell, mainly because on one side there're smokers and the other side uses too much perfume and hair care products and crap. And they smoke too. We have people who think that it's reasonable to play their stupid music until 2 in the morning and the cops can't do much because they're always busy somewhere else. I wouldn't hate and despise mariachi music so much if I wasn't constantly tortured with it. Achy Brachy Heart done by a mariachi band at midnight is enough to drive anyone to kill.

Kaede
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Apr 2013, 5:34 pm

I've always lived in a semi-detached house so I'm kind of used to be able to hear my neighbours.
The family living there at the moment are one of the worst ones I've had to deal with. The youngest child is probably about four and likes to scream for no reason. Her mother always screams in return and yells at her to stop screaming :roll: Then she screams at her partner. They like to throw things during arguments too.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2013, 9:34 pm

How funny, I just went into my email and found an email from the AA (Automobile Association) saying:

Quote:
We would like to invite you to take part in the 'AA Home Panel' - a short monthly survey which will help us to better understand and raise awareness of the home-related issues that matter to you.

This month we'd like to know a bit about your relationships with your neighbours.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

06 Apr 2013, 10:52 pm

whirlingmind wrote:
How funny, I just went into my email and found an email from the AA (Automobile Association) saying:

Quote:
We would like to invite you to take part in the 'AA Home Panel' - a short monthly survey which will help us to better understand and raise awareness of the home-related issues that matter to you.

This month we'd like to know a bit about your relationships with your neighbours.

:lol:

2wheels4ever
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2013, 11:33 pm

kamiyu910 wrote:
Achy Brachy Heart done by a mariachi band at midnight is enough to drive anyone to kill.

As much as it is truly a crime against music, the voluntary listeners may not be going there to hear it to let themselves be programmed to murder, but it is also a disservice to the local municipality that they are allowing themselves to be cheated out of $50,000+ in DUI revenues coming from that location every week as well as making the roads dangerous for everyone else. See how much faster the response time is when you complain of a "frat party"

Neighbors can suck, but getting rid of them doesn't make intolerant families disappear also