Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

crazycrazyjohn
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Dec 2010, 10:41 am

Is there not a stereotype floating about in society that seems to say that all aspies like classical or/and dance,disco really cheesy music ?

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2010, 10:47 am

I don't think so.

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2010, 10:50 am

A good many Aspies I know like metal, but that's because they are angry Aspies, not Aspie angries :P

I think the only stereotype I know of for Aspies and music is that Aspies tend to have good taste in music because they don't need to do what everyone else is doing at the moment.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2010, 10:58 am

I've observed a wide range of taste from the aspies around these parts.

kruger4
Toucan
Toucan

21 Dec 2010, 12:00 pm

Mindslave wrote:
A good many Aspies I know like metal, but that's because they are angry Aspies, not Aspie angries :P

I think the only stereotype I know of for Aspies and music is that Aspies tend to have good taste in music because they don't need to do what everyone else is doing at the moment.

I like metal and electronic music that's really upbeat. It's probably because aspies have a mind that's constantly active and racing.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2010, 12:05 pm

Never heard that. I mostly like rap, R&B, rock, and a little pop.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2010, 12:19 pm

I'm not fond of music.

I only listen to it when I'm driving or working out. I've never felt an emotional connection to music like most people do.

It's just a bunch of weird sounds and I can't tell the difference between a "good" song and a "bad" song.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2010, 12:25 pm

I like anything that isn't screaming :)

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2010, 12:36 pm

I like classical music and electronic dance/rave music. Does that mean I'm a stereotype? :lol:

JayL
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Dec 2010, 1:36 pm

pretty much anything that isnt screaming or too mainstream. I hate mainstream.

TheBicyclingGuitarist
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2010, 1:58 pm

I express myself through my music, but my own music not anyone else's. I don't have any albums, CDs, tapes etc. of any other artists. I have my own music in my head and have written hundreds of original songs. When I pick up the guitar, it's not uncommon for me to play something I've never played before.

I can appreciate some from any genre, but I don't like most dance music. Anything that has a pounding simplistic repetitive bass line gives me a migraine headache. I appreciate good guitar playing the most, any style but mainly rock, reggae and classical.

Country music has too much "twang" for me in the music and the southern accent of the singers. The lyrics are frequently wallowing in self-pity or praising jebus, and I prefer the sound of nylon string acoustic classical guitars more than the sound of steel string acoustics played by cowboys and cowgirls.

Rap music or hip-hop? While some is very expressive musically and lyrically, I've heard way too many that have simple music (some bass and drum lines not even generated by live people but by pressing a button) and hateful lyrics.

Jazz and progressive is a bit too out there for me. I appreciate the spontaneity of jazz and express that myself in my rock style when playing live.

Opera can give me a headache too. I'm not much into classical symphony type music, although I'd rather listen to that any day more than country, rap or opera.

à chacun son goût

de gustibus non est disputandum

Last edited by TheBicyclingGuitarist on 21 Dec 2010, 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MidlifeAspie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2010, 2:34 pm

crazycrazyjohn wrote:
Is there not a stereotype floating about in society that seems to say that all aspies like classical or/and dance,disco really cheesy music ?

I have never heard that one.

Katatonic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2010, 2:44 pm

If Sepultura is considered cheesy then......yes.

NP: Sepultura - Dusted (there is nothing cheesy about this song. NONE)

Fatal-Noogie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: California coast, United States of America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Cosmos

21 Dec 2010, 2:49 pm

crazycrazyjohn wrote:

I've never heard that stereotype before. What gives you that impression?

crazycrazyjohn
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Dec 2010, 2:04 pm

There was a documentary a long time in the uk on the BBC where they said that people on the as spectrum (aspergers)usually have the following in common:

If they like music then its either classical or cheesy dance,disco music(I mean really cheesy).

Particular symbols flashing lights etc people on the spectrum stare at this or/and display obsessiveness to them.

MidlifeAspie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2010, 2:17 pm

Sounds like BS to me. I would expect better from the BBC.