The autistic community made me LESS autistic.

Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2013, 2:17 pm

While I don't doubt the fact that I have Asperger's, I sat down with a friend yesterday and she went through the AQ test questions and answered some based on her experience with me. With her answers mixed with my own, my score came out as 29. Most of the items where I did not score autistically were the social ones, because I have many friends and am comfortable socially, because almost all of my friends are on the spectrum and the NTs I work with or hang out with are all aware of my diagnosis and how it affects me. Here are the items I used to agree with, that no longer apply to me:

I prefer to do things with others rather than on my own. Slightly agree, as I like back-and-forth interactions that often help me see the big picture about certain subjects better, instead of focusing on just the details which I have difficulty getting past on my own.

In a social group, I can easily keep track of several different people's conversations. I usually can't, but when the topics talked about are simple and concrete, I often hear pieces of conversation here and there and talk about anything that pops up in my mind that relates to what people are saying, or sometimes even echo what other people say. People don't seem to mind, generally.

I find social situations easy. Yes, because people adapt to me and I have learned to adapt to them. Gradually, I've become a lot less rigid in social situations because I no longer feel anxious around people. I've also found ways to accommodate for myself (i.e. speaking up for my needs, making own sensory accommodations) so I'm no longer scared that I won't be able to cope in a social situation. However, NTs do have to adapt to me a lot. People on the spectrum, however, not so much; how much we each have to adapt to each other is pretty equal.

I find myself drawn more strongly to people than to things. I am fascinated by people, but often treat them as variables within psychological theories. I constantly apply what I have learned in psych to people, so every person I meet provides more pieces of knowledge to my own theories. Objects are not as interesting, I find, because I am an expressive person and there is not as much expressiveness to be had with objects. And I do have a craving for socializing.

I find it hard to make new friends. Not at all... People seek me out, and I enjoy it when I'm not time-constrained.

I frequently find that I don't know how to keep a conversation going. I speak my mind a lot and there's always something on my mind, so nope, I always have something to say to keep a conversation going.

I enjoy doing things spontaneously. When it relates to my special interest, oh yes, and I've built my life around my special interest.

I enjoy social occasions. Definitely, again when I can engage in my special interest.

New situations make me anxious. Nope. I look forward to new situations and new knowledge/experiences to be gained.

Overall, being an extroverted and successful Aspie, answering the way I did to all these questions apparently scores me below the autistic threshold. Since I will be going for a reassessment this year to get a more detailed profile of my learning strengths and difficulties, I wonder if not having the above characteristics would weed me out just because I am extroverted and feel comfortable in my "niche".

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2013, 2:37 pm

Sounds like you're doing better in the world. I wish I could say those attributes applied to me, but they don't. I'm as reserved, friendless and non-social as I've ever been.

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2013, 2:40 pm

IMHO, another arguement for making ASD determinations based on neurology, not observed "impairments".

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2013, 2:47 pm

Well the thing is if you're confident and extroverted but still meet the social criteria you shouldn't be weeded out. You still have an impairment in emotional or social reciprocity (maybe more emotional in your case), have trouble with non-verbal communication (stilted prosody and facial expressions counts) - it's non-verbal expression and understanding others' non-verbals and don't have peer relations developed to age appropriate level (only make friends with others with disabilities- I'm not sure if this is enough to meet that criterion but maybe).

You should still get the diagnosis if you meet the new criteria regardless of the AQ. The AQ is probably a bit confounded by the trait of introversion which is more common among people with AS and probably other social disorders but not there in all cases. An introverted NT would have a higher score than average because of the questions you listed.

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2013, 3:21 pm

I see lots of ASD type traits in your anwsers were I think you may not, the score was moved down based on interactions with close friends right? the same would likely happen to me although maybe not to the extent you had. Friends know and have adjusted to you, ASD friends may not know how to notice some things in you etc. Do your re-evaluation with a stranger and your old impairments will likely come back/be more visable in some form I'm thinking as the learned stratagys and simular intrests won't be there to mask over your ASD traits. I know noticing my impairments to their full extent is impossible for me becouse its natural for me.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

20 Apr 2013, 4:42 pm

AgentPalpatine wrote:
IMHO, another arguement for making ASD determinations based on neurology, not observed "impairments".

If one has no observed impairments, why do they need a diagnosis? What do they need it for?

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2013, 9:18 pm

Verdandi wrote:
AgentPalpatine wrote:
If one has no observed impairments, why do they need a diagnosis? What do they need it for?
Probably nothing, if these impairments were not present before the person had any accommodations. I got diagnosed and have tons of accommodations, which allow me to function. People usually get a diagnosis to either 1) be able to self-disclose and ask for accommodations with evidence to prove it, or 2) get accommodations/treatment recommendations automatically with their diagnosis.

I am only getting reassessed because I have still been keeping away from taking full courseloads because I've been feeling like I could not handle more. I think that more detailed documentation will allow me to get better accommodations if I need them, and will allow me to feel like I'm not just making excuses (I don't fully trust myself, I guess) when explaining my challenges to other people. This will allow me to be more "normal" and take full courseloads because I am about to fully jump into the "normal" professional stream.

This will probably be my last chance to get full psychoed documentation. I know I have learning/anxiety challenges, I just want to have better terms for them. I haven't explored them much because my special interest is autism and I have trouble reading/applying beyond that. I don't think my existing diagnosis will change, I guess.

rapidroy wrote:
I see lots of ASD type traits in your anwsers were I think you may not, the score was moved down based on interactions with close friends right? the same would likely happen to me although maybe not to the extent you had. Friends know and have adjusted to you, ASD friends may not know how to notice some things in you etc. Do your re-evaluation with a stranger and your old impairments will likely come back/be more visable in some form I'm thinking as the learned stratagys and simular intrests won't be there to mask over your ASD traits. I know noticing my impairments to their full extent is impossible for me becouse its natural for me.
But I spend my life around either my ASD friends, NT autism professionals who are fully aware, or I talk to my TAs/professors who are also very accepting and friendly. I do not make friends in my classes because I don't need more friends and these people do not seem interesting enough anyway (or interested in me). When I have to do group work, I hire a worker to facilitate the interaction. I also do so whenever I really need to attend a student event in university, but this is VERY rare.

matt
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2013, 10:35 pm

MathGirl wrote:
While I don't doubt the fact that I have Asperger's, I sat down with a friend yesterday and she went through the AQ test questions and answered some based on her experience with me. With her answers mixed with my own, my score came out as 29. Most of the items where I did not score autistically were the social ones, because I have many friends and am comfortable socially, because almost all of my friends are on the spectrum and the NTs I work with or hang out with are all aware of my diagnosis and how it affects me. Here are the items I used to agree with, that no longer apply to me:

I prefer to do things with others rather than on my own. Slightly agree, as I like back-and-forth interactions that often help me see the big picture about certain subjects better, instead of focusing on just the details which I have difficulty getting past on my own.

In a social group, I can easily keep track of several different people's conversations. I usually can't, but when the topics talked about are simple and concrete, I often hear pieces of conversation here and there and talk about anything that pops up in my mind that relates to what people are saying, or sometimes even echo what other people say. People don't seem to mind, generally.

I find social situations easy. Yes, because people adapt to me and I have learned to adapt to them. Gradually, I've become a lot less rigid in social situations because I no longer feel anxious around people. I've also found ways to accommodate for myself (i.e. speaking up for my needs, making own sensory accommodations) so I'm no longer scared that I won't be able to cope in a social situation. However, NTs do have to adapt to me a lot. People on the spectrum, however, not so much; how much we each have to adapt to each other is pretty equal.

I find myself drawn more strongly to people than to things. I am fascinated by people, but often treat them as variables within psychological theories. I constantly apply what I have learned in psych to people, so every person I meet provides more pieces of knowledge to my own theories. Objects are not as interesting, I find, because I am an expressive person and there is not as much expressiveness to be had with objects. And I do have a craving for socializing.

I find it hard to make new friends. Not at all... People seek me out, and I enjoy it when I'm not time-constrained.

I frequently find that I don't know how to keep a conversation going. I speak my mind a lot and there's always something on my mind, so nope, I always have something to say to keep a conversation going.

I enjoy doing things spontaneously. When it relates to my special interest, oh yes, and I've built my life around my special interest.

I enjoy social occasions. Definitely, again when I can engage in my special interest.

New situations make me anxious. Nope. I look forward to new situations and new knowledge/experiences to be gained.

Overall, being an extroverted and successful Aspie, answering the way I did to all these questions apparently scores me below the autistic threshold. Since I will be going for a reassessment this year to get a more detailed profile of my learning strengths and difficulties, I wonder if not having the above characteristics would weed me out just because I am extroverted and feel comfortable in my "niche".
There is a flaw in the test, in that it asks the questions without accounting for the possibility that the person who asks may primarily interact with people who themselves are neurologically atypical.

These questions could be reworded:

1. I prefer to do things with neurotypical people rather than on my own.
  2. I find myself drawn more strongly to neurotypical people than to things.
  3. I find it hard to make new neurotypical friends.
  4. When speaking to neurotypical people, I frequently find that I don't know how to keep a conversation going.
  5. I enjoy social occasions with neurotypical people.

Stoek
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2013, 10:35 pm

I just went to my first aspie meet up in toronto it was pretty dam cool.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2013, 10:37 pm

Stoek wrote:
I just went to my first aspie meet up in toronto it was pretty dam cool.
And you met ME.

And you're 82? You look good for your age!

Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2013, 12:16 am

AgentPalpatine wrote:

PLEASE tell me what neurological tests can be performed that can PROVE autism.

PLEASE.

What would these results mean? Been told here I must be a "half pint".

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2013, 12:39 am

Sethno wrote:
AgentPalpatine wrote:

PLEASE tell me what neurological tests can be performed that can PROVE autism.

PLEASE.

There really aren't any. There are studies that show X pattern of brain activity , for example, is more associated with autism than Y but nothing conclusive enough. No tests that are sensitive enough to catch cases of autism and specific enough to weed out people with similar but different disorders and yet reliable enough to do this in many different trials of the test.

littlebee
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2013, 11:35 am

Verdandi wrote:
AgentPalpatine wrote:

I like this kind of question as it makes one think.

It has to serve some kind of consciously perceived or unconscious function or a person would not be be doing it. What is that something? It could be different things for different people. One thing for sure, the way a person labels himself will affect his feeling about himself and what he is able to accomplish. It will build on that bias, positive or negative and point him in that direction. I see many here using the "autistic" label as a kind of cope-out, and also getting lost in discussing various diagnostic criteria, and that is sad. It is a form of self cherishing that imo is very limited, a very small room, and even can keep people from developing real relationships. Yes, being part of an aspie community is a form of socialization and a way to develop social skills and to get new ideas and feedback, but I do believe it is necessary to look at the framework.

The autistic--nt dichotomy that is being played like a two year old tooting a horn is particularly disturbing. All kinds of people make such simplistic dichotomies, racists, terrorists, the good guys, sometimes even myself (though I try to catch it), be they whatever, and it is a way of thinking that is simplistic, mechanical and weak.

No one knows what kind of brains these nt's have or if they are born with it.

If people who are having social adjustment problems want to transform their relationships and their lives, then they need to be attentive to their own mental functioning with a mind that is alive and inquiring. For those who are young, start now while you have lots of energy as the longer you wait probably the smaller the opportunity, though there is always some kind of hope.

I am kind of high functioning at this point, but I am on what you call the spectrum and have been through hell. I would not want to see anyone suffer like I have suffered.,

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2013, 11:41 am

littlebee wrote:

It has to serve some kind of consciously perceived or unconscious function or a person would not be be doing it. What is that something? It could be different things for different people. One thing for sure, the way a person labels himself will affect his feeling about himself and what he is able to accomplish. It will build on that bias, positive or negative and point him in that direction. I see many here using the "autistic" label as a kind of cope-out, and also getting lost in discussing various diagnostic criteria, and that is sad. It is a form of self cherishing that imo is very limited, a very small room, and even can keep people from developing real relationships. Yes, being part of an aspie community is a form of socialization and a way to develop social skills and to get new ideas and feedback, but I do believe it is necessary to look at the framework.

Littlebee, Are you suggesting that an Aspie (online/offline) community actually hurts Aspies?

littlebee
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2013, 12:08 pm

AgentPalpatine wrote:
littlebee wrote:

Littlebee, Are you suggesting that an Aspie (online/offline) community actually hurts Aspies?

It would depend upon how a person uses it, but if there is a predominant tendency to look at things in a certain way, it can kind of take over like a fungus, and people can start to repeat certain ideas or, better put, notions as a mantra without really inquiring into them. This tends to happen everywhere with all kinds of people, so it is necessary to be vigilant when dealing with ideas rather than just spouting them, don't you think?

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2013, 12:18 pm

littlebee wrote:
AgentPalpatine wrote:

It would depend upon how a person uses it, but if there is a predominant tendency to look at things in a certain way, it can kind of take over like a fungus, and people can start to repeat certain ideas or, better put, notions as a mantra without really inquiring into them. This tends to happen everywhere with all kinds of people, so it is necessary to be vigilant when dealing with ideas rather than just spouting them, don't you think?

Considering that the topic is Aspie online socialization (on WP no less), the use of the words "fungus", "vigilant", and "spouting" is unusual.

Yes, people should question ideas. Aspie socializing seems to have an extremely favorable cost/benefit ratio.