Extreme Obsession that Lasts Only A Short Period of Time

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Elementary_Physics
Toucan
Toucan

31 Dec 2009, 4:00 pm

Do you ever get sudden bursts of "Obsession" with a person or song or object? To the point where you get VERY excited about it and talk about it and think about it constantly? Except it only lasts a few days or weeks?
For example - One of my latest was Bill Gates. It lasted a few days but all I was doing was looking up pictures of him, and screaming with delight when someone mentioned him, and bringing him up in conversation.

I like this English teacher, and I always talk about him and how cute he is, even with my Father. I am usually very quiet and calm but I was getting really excited and loud and talking about him and my Father asked "Is being obsessed like this an Asperger's thing?" and I said I didn't know.

Do you ever get sudden, but short fixations like this?

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2009, 4:10 pm

Yes; I hate it when that happens, especially if I went out and bought stuff related to that short-lived obsession. The majority of my anime DVD collection is the result of said obsessions. ^_^;;

Raven
Raven

31 Dec 2009, 4:31 pm

It's happened to me many times.

Descartes30
Toucan
Toucan

31 Dec 2009, 5:15 pm

This happens to me often, but it's usually with a book or video game or movie or song, some form of entertainment. And like the above poster, anime seems to be one of those obsessions. I'll watch a particular series for many hours, either losing sleep, or dreaming about it when I do sleep. Like I did with "Shuffle" series a couple days ago. Or I'll read a book repeatedly or need one so badly that I can't sleep until I own it, like most recently with "The Barnhart Concise Dictionary of Etymology". And in my winamp I have a song that I've heard 75 times so far (Clint Mansell's "Together We Will Live Forever") and many more that I have heard over 50 times. So I would guess that these obsessions can be fairly common for Aspies.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

31 Dec 2009, 7:26 pm

Yes, with people, music, places, ideas, you name it! Once it was Hawaii. I spent 4 hours on line, reading up on everything about it, dreaming about living there. I stayed up until the wee hours, and then went to bed. Well, that obsession died fairly quickly. I couldn't understand how I'd gotten so obsessed, so quickly!

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2009, 7:41 pm

Yes I have many of these, they seem to go as soon as they came. Often I have mini but really intense obsessions that sometimes come back and revisit whenever the feel like it.
My long term "special interests" tend not to be as intense as small obsessions and fluctuate.

dossa
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2010, 12:59 am

MONKEY wrote:
Yes I have many of these, they seem to go as soon as they came. Often I have mini but really intense obsessions that sometimes come back and revisit whenever the feel like it.
My long term "special interests" tend not to be as intense as small obsessions and fluctuate.

That is how mine are as well.

I really like it when that happens though. Granted, I do forget to eat and sleep when I am like that... so it is good I am only like that with the short term ones... but it is really fun to be all caught up in something like that now and then. And I always manage to get so much out of them. My girls love it when I go on bracelet mode. In general, once a year I sit and make a few hundred bracelets or necklaces. I have all of these nails on my downstairs bathroom wall to house the damn things. It works.

I do that with songs and bands as well. Most recently it would have been Puscifer... I think I listened to The Mission (M is for Milla Mix) a few hundred times last week. Heh. Good song, that. I imagine that my family appreciates my mp3 player more than I do...

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2010, 2:29 am

MONKEY wrote:

Yes, me too. I think this is normal for most people, not just those on the spectrum.

Vivienne
Toucan
Toucan

01 Jan 2010, 2:50 am

Yep.

You could put them into neat little boxes labelled "small" "medium" and "large".

Small fills up my hard drive with hundreds of -later realized- useless photo's, and my bookshelves with books I never end up reading.

Medium fills my brain with all manner of facts, knowledge, and theories I like to bounce off other people.

Large takes up at least a decade, or more, of my life. And I think I just realized yesterday that people around me got tired of hearing all the details of the Titanic disaster, oh, fifteen years ago.

"Be plain, good son, and homely in thy drift;
Riddling confession finds but riddling shrift"
~Shakespeare

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

01 Jan 2010, 3:13 am

Oh yea, definitely. One big thing that gets me is whenever a particularly notable person dies I'll obsess about that person for some time afterwards. All kinds of things honestly tho. After I a while I either get tired of it or move on to something else.