Page 1 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ScientistOfSound
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2011, 5:58 pm

Do you have an extreme dislike of people looking at you in a "funny" way? I always used to hate it when I was younger. In primary school alot of my classmates knew this so they'd just stare at me till I had meltdowns etc. Of course being 17 I can deal with being glared at today; but it still makes me feel extremely uncomfortable and slightly irritated. I don't know what it is about people looking at me but it feels like they're burning holes through my being.

Tamsin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Jul 2011, 6:07 pm

I hate people looking at me. I don't even like pictures. When I was younger and I had to change clothes I would search my room for any pictures that were facing up and then I would cover them because I felt like the people were staring at me. After awhile I just stopped putting pictures in my room though now I do have a few. Only one of my pictures has a person in it, but it's okay because the person is facing sideways. If they were facing forward then I would probably take it down.

Last edited by Tamsin on 14 Jul 2011, 6:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Radiofixr
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2011, 6:08 pm

yes I feel the same way especially when people have to watch me do something-its annoying and when they also feel that they have to spell even the simplest words for me.

mb1984
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Jul 2011, 6:10 pm

I dislike being looked at. Especially if it is an "inspecting" sort of look.

Judge of your natural character by what you do in your dreams.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2011, 6:23 pm

I love being looked at. I like the attention.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

14 Jul 2011, 6:26 pm

Being stared at is creepy in general, its just amplified because I am the way I am. :lol:

pree10shun
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2011, 6:35 pm

I don't like being stared at because I tend to get anxiety attacks.. I'm getting better at dealing with it as I grow older.

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2011, 6:51 pm

I find being looked at discomforting as I don't know the person's reasons for staring at me (which I think is very rude). My ego wants to say "that person must find me attractive"
when in reality its something much less flattering.

Phonic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2011, 7:06 pm

It tells me a lot about a person when I ask them to not look at me: do they comply or refuse to bend?

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

14 Jul 2011, 7:26 pm

I really dislike being stared at. I get very anxious and even threatened. I guess the reasons for the anxiety are not being able to decipher what the stare means. When I was a kid if another kid stared at me, and then made eye contact with a friend, I would be afraid that they were planning to gang up on me. It often happened that they were. :? I also got harassed by grown men when I was in my mid teens, so that may be where the perception of threat comes from.

Avengilante
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Jul 2011, 8:06 pm

Being looked at is creepy. Its an intimate intrusion. Since television went Hi Def, I even hate it when talk show hosts on TV look straight into the camera during their monologues, it makes me feel like they're staring at me and its almost physically painful and repulsive. Its akin to being intimately groped and fondled by someone you don't know and don't want touching you. You know, like 'huggers' who seem to feel compelled as soon as they enter a room, to embrace everyone they see. Yecch! Get away from me!

I also hate cameras pointed at me, for the same reason. I completely understand why some primitive societies feel that when you take their photograph, you're stealing their souls.

dougn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2011, 8:36 pm

I'm not sure I notice when people are looking at me.

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2011, 8:50 pm

I hate being looked at. My father has this really intense way of looking at me, and sometimes I say, "stop looking at me!" or "WHY are you staring at me?"...to which he responds, "because you were just talking." Still, I hate being looked at by ANYONE really, and would prefer people looked away to the side as I do to them. :?

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

samsa
Toucan
Toucan

14 Jul 2011, 8:50 pm

I don't usually mind.

That said, I don't like being stared at, due to it's judgmental connotations.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2011, 8:57 pm

When I was younger it bothered me because the bullies used to stare at me.
The place I was working at a bully used to purposely walk past my section and stare even when I had my back to her I could still feel her staring. :evil: :evil: :evil:
People don't seem to do that too me now thank goodness.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2011, 9:57 pm

YES! One of the reasons I hate babies and little kids so much is because they stare. I would complain when my cousins and my brother's girlfriends bastard children would look at me but no one had ever really looked into it. I remember once at the store, this baby kept staring at me and trying to keep eye contact. It took every fiber of my being not to go up and litteraly choke or strangle that child. I just walked away and went to another part of the store so it couldn't stare at me any more. Intense eye contact always triggers agression in me and the urge to fight. I wonder if that's part of the reason I was so violently agressive as a kid. I will only look people in the eye when I'm trying to confront them or scare them off. Direct eye contact has always been a threat to me. I tried very hard to be polite as a kid even though most people just thought I was a purposeful ride little brat, but one of the reasons I never looked people in the eye was becuase I did not want to come across as rude. Humans are the only species that does not veiw eye contact as a threat. Ever other species, even monkeys, our supposed next ot kin don't like it if you make eye contact with them. If I AM making eye contact with a person, that's when they better start worrying.