Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

twich
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Apr 2013, 2:53 pm

Is it possible to suffer from both?

I know I have sensory processing disorder (SPD) because it affects all of my senses, but someone mentioned Misophonia (Miki page on misophonia) and upon reading it, I realize I fit this description properly as well.

I'm trying to look for more information but I'm not coming up with much on the thoughts of co-morbidity. Does anyone here know more about that?

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

30 Apr 2013, 3:13 pm

It's quite possible. I think it is often a part of SPD.

twich
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Apr 2013, 3:26 pm

Thanks, Verandi! I'll bring it up with my doctor, we might be able to come up with coping strategies or something.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

30 Apr 2013, 3:29 pm

I run a constantly looping video of a fan (white noise) to filter out noises that trigger my misophonia. I up the volume when they get a bit too loud, although most are fairly quiet. Without the white noise I go slowly mad.

twich
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Apr 2013, 3:41 pm

Verdandi wrote:
I run a constantly looping video of a fan (white noise) to filter out noises that trigger my misophonia. I up the volume when they get a bit too loud, although most are fairly quiet. Without the white noise I go slowly mad.

I have a box fan because of tinnitus, it's excruciatingly painful sometimes even with the fan, but unfortunately, one of the rage inducing sounds is my Step-Dad's snoring, which I can hear over the fan on high with a window air conditioner going, AND sometimes even with my earbuds in and music painfully loud. Maybe if I can get an official medical back to it, my Mum will actually help try to drown it out as opposed to just telling me I'll have to learn to deal with it. I agree, though, without it I'd hear everything around me all the time and go mad as well.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2013, 3:43 pm

Snoring is one of the worst things. I shared a room with a friend at a convention once, and his snoring made it nearly impossible to sleep. Also, it drove me quickly mad and caused anxiety attacks.

alakazaam
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 May 2013, 10:22 am

I suffer from misphonia. What's SPD?

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2013, 12:22 pm

Is that why I can barely refrain from smothering my husband with a pillow sometimes? :lol: And why hearing harpsichords and be-bop jazz make me want to break windows?

And that must be why my finger-twisting stimming in the car makes him so grouchy. Thank you for posting that.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2013, 2:36 pm

alakazaam wrote:
I suffer from misphonia. What's SPD?

Sensory processing disorder.