A lot of people ‘can’t belong’ in our clothes

Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2013, 5:42 pm

From http://fox13now.com/2013/05/07/abercrombie-ceo-a-lot-of-people-cant-belong-in-our-clothes/:

Quote:
Robin Lewis, author of “The New Rules of Retail,” spoke to Business Insider this week about Abercrombie & Fitch CEO Mike Jeffries and the kind of people he wants wearing his clothes.

“He doesn’t want larger people shopping in his store, he wants thin and beautiful people,” Lewis said. “He doesn’t want his core customers to see people who aren’t as hot as them wearing his clothing. People who wear his clothing should feel like they’re one of the ‘cool kids.’”

“It’s almost everything. That’s why we hire good-looking people in our stores. Because good-looking people attract other good-looking people, and we want to market to cool, good-looking people. We don’t market to anyone other than that,” he told Salon.

“In every school there are the cool and popular kids, and then there are the not-so-cool kids,” he told Salon. “Candidly, we go after the cool kids. We go after the attractive all-American kid with a great attitude and a lot of friends. A lot of people don’t belong [in our clothes], and they can’t belong.”
I guess we all know who aren't the "cool kids".

RubyWings91
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 May 2013, 5:49 pm

I think I would like it if they got what they asked for, simply because there would be too few people in their stores to keep them in buisness.

Thats's just what jerks like them deserve.

seaturtleisland
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2013, 6:09 pm

Unless they can use the exclusivity to justify charging 1000 dollars for each pair of pants it seems like poor marketing. Turning away such a large portion of the market just doesn't seem like a good idea. It's so common to be overweight that it would make more sense to accommodate the whole market instead of turning away tens of millions of customers. Maybe the people that are happy to be in the 'thin club' are willing to pay 15 times as much for clothes in order to show off their status which would allow this company to still make money but is it really worth it?

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2013, 6:13 pm

They would have to pay me to wear their clothes.

Valkyrie2012
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 May 2013, 8:17 pm

Reading what they wrote makes me know I would never WANT to wear their clothes. The very same "cool kids" who made me miserable growing up is the very same man speaking here - that sounds like he never grew up. Anyone who focuses on looks and "being cool" is not welcome in my life anyways.

I never liked the cool kids and I never desired to be one. They have always been the definition of mean and ruthless to me.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2013, 8:56 pm

<--- Buys all his clothes 2nd hand from Value Village. $30 for a T-shirt? I don't think so.

2wheels4ever
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2013, 11:14 pm

Whoa, the talk radio host was just mentioning this topic as I clicked on. His words: "don't worry, you'll soon get your wish and there won't be any uncool people shopping in your stores"

Clothes are rather stupid anyway, we should all just start dressing like early David Bowie

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2013, 12:03 am

He may have a point, I have known for years I don't belong in their stupid clothes, now I know for sure! They appear like meny business' to remember that they actually sell outside of the USA, becouse as a proud Canadian all I can dream of is living the all American dream.

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2013, 12:31 am

That person has no imagination. I am better looking than most but never was I cool.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2013, 12:44 am

I have this urge now to buy his clothes, and get fat(er), stop shaving completely, let food accumulate in my beard, and then wear his clothes everywhere.

BlackSabre7
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2013, 1:21 am

Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
I have this urge now to buy his clothes, and get fat(er), stop shaving completely, let food accumulate in my beard, and then wear his clothes everywhere.

:lmao:

I got the same urge. Without the beard, although I could glue one one for the effect.

With their attitude, they won't get 'cool kids', they will only get 'cool and stupid kids'.
Way to shrink your customer base!

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2013, 1:33 am

I don't feel bad at all for not shopping in those stores, overpriced garbage is all their clothes are anyways...I wonder what the people who make the clothes are paid and how old they are.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2013, 9:27 am

Well, it’s very nice of them to tell you what not to buy. Way to save time :lol:

another_1
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2013, 11:59 am

I have never understood the appeal of A&F. They seem like one of those things that's cool "just because" - there's nothing special about them. Other than the actual label, you could easily duplicate that "look" in darn near any store in the US.

I'm not "anti-label," either. I happen to very much like link>Robert Graham shirts <link. BUT!! !! ! Unlike A&F, they have a very distinctive look - high-quality fabrics designed by them, for them; unusual details like the contrasting fabric inside the cuffs, collar and placket - and are very well made. Also, because they use really good fabrics, they are MUCH more comfortable than lower end "dressy" shirts. They are expensive, so I don't have a closet full of them, but (if their style appeals to you) there are reasons to spend that money - there is something special about them.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2013, 1:06 pm

That's actually a genius marketing technique. Because it's offensive and controversial it will receive more attention. Because it says outright that their clothes are exclusively for cool kids, more kids will want to buy them hence more sales. Kids probably won't get the offensiveness of his remarks. There are tons of kids who are desperately trying to be accepted and hearing what that guy says will make them think that buying Abercombie clothes will help them. It's ridiculous but it's a genius marketing ploy.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2013, 1:27 pm

I to see a bunch of fat naked people waving money banging on the store front.

Now that would be a protest.