The increasing use of 'Autistic' as an insult

Page 6 of 8 [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2018, 1:15 am

Sinn Fein MP distances herself from ‘offensive’ autism remarks

Quote:
A Sinn Fein MP has moved to disassociate herself from a controversial article which compared the DUP to autistic people.

The party has found itself embroiled in another social media storm after Fermanagh and South Tyrone MP Michelle Gildernew retweeted a link to an article penned by political commentator Kevin Meagher, who was once special advisor to former secretary of state Shaun Woodward.

In the piece published by the Huffington Post, Mr Meagher – a fervent supporter of a united Ireland – claimed unionist politicians “make difficult situations worse with a combination of bellicosity and mean-spiritedness”.

He added: “Frankly, if the DUP was a person, modern etiquette would see them cut them some slack on the suspicion they had a spectrum disorder.”

Mr Meagher faced a barrage of criticism on social media, with many calling him to retract his article and apologise.

The News Letter reached out to Mr Meagher for a comment yesterday, but we received no response at the time of going to press.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2018, 1:35 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Sinn Fein MP distances herself from ‘offensive’ autism remarks
Quote:
A Sinn Fein MP has moved to disassociate herself from a controversial article which compared the DUP to autistic people.

The party has found itself embroiled in another social media storm after Fermanagh and South Tyrone MP Michelle Gildernew retweeted a link to an article penned by political commentator Kevin Meagher, who was once special advisor to former secretary of state Shaun Woodward.

In the piece published by the Huffington Post, Mr Meagher – a fervent supporter of a united Ireland – claimed unionist politicians “make difficult situations worse with a combination of bellicosity and mean-spiritedness”.

He added: “Frankly, if the DUP was a person, modern etiquette would see them cut them some slack on the suspicion they had a spectrum disorder.”

Mr Meagher faced a barrage of criticism on social media, with many calling him to retract his article and apologise.

The News Letter reached out to Mr Meagher for a comment yesterday, but we received no response at the time of going to press.

The IRA never did itself any favors accepting tainted money from the South African apartheid regime. Now the fricken leprechauns are making fun of autism. May the English continue to screw Sinn Feinn (karma)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2018, 9:15 am

We have a horrible, fake charitable organisation to thank for that.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2018, 9:19 am

xatrix26 wrote:
Let's see I've had people call me:

autistic
ret*d
stupid
diaper boy
Rain Man
a-hole
idiot
moron

Is it any wonder why I avoid social situations and NTs at all costs?

The people who called you those names were idiots to do so.

SuSaNnA
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Jan 2018, 1:28 pm

I see a lot of insults like "autistic" "cancer" on 4chan and other gaming forums.
Though they are usually not directed towards people with real autism.

Surprisingly, no one has ever used such insults on me.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2018, 1:36 pm

heffe1981 wrote:
Just report them for harassment. However, I think it is better than saying someone "has Autism". That's like saying someone "has Caucasian".

Not at all. I talk about my way of having autism. People have a lisp, a silly walk. They have high intelligence, and have complexes or issues.

Also, Caucasian didn't derive from any factual basis, but uninformed speculation. I find the word unfortunate and confusing.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2018, 1:44 pm

SuSaNnA wrote:
I see a lot of insults like "autistic" "cancer" on 4chan and other gaming forums.
Though they are usually not directed towards people with real autism.

Surprisingly, no one has ever used such insults on me.

I'd admire a cancer patient who would laugh at accidentally getting called cancer by some random wanker. I guess I'll try to emulate that.

There's no justification for insulting people based on the conditions of their birth. We can't get rid of all the douchebags, though, so it behooves us to toughen up a little.

KeepOn
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Jan 2018, 3:07 pm

Turn it into a positive by using it as a way of filtering out the morons. :)

xatrix26
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2018, 10:42 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
xatrix26 wrote:
Let's see I've had people call me:

autistic
ret*d
stupid
diaper boy
Rain Man
a-hole
idiot
moron

Is it any wonder why I avoid social situations and NTs at all costs?

The people who called you those names were idiots to do so.

I guess the only names of that list that really hurt are Autistic, diaper-boy and Rain Man because they're all true.

I am autistic.

I am incontinent so I do need to wear adult diapers.

And I'm an Aspie and we're known to be quite the fountains of information and the Rain Man moniker describes that perfectly.

I guess the truth really does hurt hey ?

:cry:

ADHD, OCD, and PTSD.

Keep calm and stim away. ;)

foxant
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Jan 2018, 3:16 am

i see those hate against autists on twitch on bigger streamers on twitch tv that has a lot of audience like tyler1, sodapoppin or forsen. they also offend and had emotes against people with down syndrome. theres not really anything we can do since we are minority.

Special Interest: memes

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2018, 2:45 am

Deadmau5 forced to apologise for disgusting Aids and autism slurs

Quote:
looks like the DJ deadmau5 is - as the kids say - cancelled.

The cheesy EDM spinner horrified fans and just about everybody else in the world when he called a track by DJ Slushii “Aids f***ing music” and “autistic s**t”, and has since been forced to apologise.

Deadmau5 - real name Joel Zimmerman - made the comments during a video game stream, and lead Slushii to reveal that yes, he actually was autistic, and brand deadmau5 a heinous person for the slurs.

Slushii took to Twitter and said: “As someone who’s actually on the autism spectrum, this is really disappointing.

“I’ve been bullied all my life. Seeing that video upsets me so much because I always looked up to @deadmau5 and I don’t take having a form of autism lightly. It’s sad as such an influential member of our community you continue to use your platform to bring others down.”

It was just three days ago that deadmau5 made Twitter comments that were seen as transphobic and homophobic, when a fan commented he must get hot DJing in a giant mouse’s head.

Deadmau5 responded: “Let’s be completely honest here, there are far worse fates and if I’m a betting man I’ll bet you suck a guy off for 40 grand ZERO questions asked.”

In a perfect example of the art of the non-apology apology, the DJ put out a statement earlier this morning.

“This has been a very difficult period and I sincerely apologise for my comments which were completely offensive and I take full responsibility for," he wrote.

“Now it’s time for me to deal with my own personal issues including finally addressing my own mental health challenges that I have wrestled with for the past several years.

I’ve consulted with friends and loved ones and I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m in need of professional help to get on top of my issues and become a better me.

“Again I apologise to all of those I have offended and I will be going off the radar and taking the time necessary to work on myself.”

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2018, 5:51 am

I've heard about this a lot but ironically I've never actually experienced anybody using the term Autistic as an insult.

Most of the people I know seem to pity Autism rather than make fun of it.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

12 Oct 2018, 7:35 pm

I came across more than a few forums where people would call trolls autistic. Sometimes the mods would say in a thread that the user was banned for autism.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2019, 4:07 am

Jade Roper Tolbert Fires Back After Followers Said Her Daughter is ‘Showing Signs of Autism’

Quote:
Jade Roper Tolbert has a clear message for the world: nobody can mess with your kids. The former Bachelor in Paradise contestant slammed a follower on Instagram after suggesting her daughter was “kind of showing signs of autism”, and that she, as a public persona, had to accept the “comments, say thanks, and move on”. What?!

The reality TV star, who’s expecting her second child — a baby boy — with husband Tanner Tolbert, shared a sweet video of Emerson, her daughter, playing with her dad at the park on Instagram stories. And unfortunately, someone felt compelled to send a nasty DM suggesting Emerson was showing signs of autism. Soon after, Roper took to Instagram stories to fire back at the rude comment she received questioning Emerson’s development.

You all, these are NOT okay messages to send people. If you all mean well, it’s still not OK to say she has autism or needs speech therapy or to comment any sort of thing like that to anyone about their child. We are her parents, we have a great pediatrician, and we know her development. Comments like this really throw me for a loop.”, she wrote in the first of a series of posts.

While this could have been the end of it, trolls kept going, as if they have the right or expertise to give an accurate diagnose just by looking at a 15-second video. Roper defended her position — as any mom would — stating that she doesn’t need to upload every single thing Emerson does or says, just to prove them wrong.

Aside from the autism as an insult and the ableist language in the story this is why you should NEVER EVER share pictures of your children online with the general public.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2019, 4:17 am

I think we are used to trolling behavior...some people see a weakness online and go for the jugular...morals and ethics are relegated/take a back seat when you have anonymity in cyberspace

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2019, 4:48 am

Hurling an epither is one thing.

But when they hurl the wrong epithet its something else.

I can tolerate someone being an idiot, and I can tolerate someone being an as*hole. But I cant abide someone being both at the same time.

Politely suggest to folks that they get their epithets straight. And point out that you "wouldn't call Obama a 'Chinese', or call Jacky Chan a "n****r", and you wouldn't call either of them "a Heb", now would you?" :D

Ya know...talk to them in their own terms.

Explain to them that "if you are so stupid that you don't know the difference between a 'ret*d' and an 'autistic' then you are yourself a 'ret*d'".

But if you are so socially inept that you use either word in a public forum then you are "an autistic". :D