HELP! How do I surrvive summer traveling?!?!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Kaelynn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 May 2013, 10:50 pm

My parents are making me go on a mission trip with my step sisters church to West Virginia. We are going to help the poor kids know about Jesus and then we will do home repairs on their houses. I have no problem helping poor people, what I do have a problem with is change in routine. I will be sharing a hotel room with four other people who are cluesless about aspergers and I don't want to inform them because they will look down on me for it. Oh, and guess what else?! My father will be picking my up from my week long stay in WV and taking me to New York with him for 3 weeks. While in New York we will visit the city and probably go to a few baseball games. He loves taking me to loud places that I hate. We fight all the time and he always tells me how ret*d I am and that I will live with my mother and step father in South Carolina forever.

I hate traveling! It messes everything up. And I am on an ADHD med that makes me feel hyper and jittery which makes my uneasyness with anything much worse. Also, the antidepressnt I am on doesn't really work at all. No one will ajust anything and these trips are not optional because I am 16 years old. Can anyone offer some travel advise? I hate changing my routine. :cry:

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2013, 11:05 pm

do whatever you have to do to get enough sleep. teenage girls in a hotel room will tend to talk the night away. take ear plugs and an eye mask in case you need them.

Franic
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 May 2013, 12:07 am

if you have anything you love to do at home that is mobil, take it with you. it'll distract your mind from the change and comfort you.
i sometimes would call home a lot also when i use to go out of the country at the age of 5, it might help you too.
hope this advice helps.

Feral_Cat
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 May 2013, 11:05 am

I take the blanket off my bed when I travel, it might sound humorous or cliche but it's very comforting to sleep with the same blanket I do at home. I also like to wrap myself in it, if I am uneasy or sick or just plain cold. I often sleep in my car when I travel since it's station wagon, it's very roomy. Often times I will wake up, sit up wrapped in my blanket, crack open my laptop and look at the weather and the news, just like my mornings at home!

Bubbles137
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2013, 2:46 am

cathylynn wrote:
do whatever you have to do to get enough sleep. teenage girls in a hotel room will tend to talk the night away. take ear plugs and an eye mask in case you need them.

Agree with this totally- i've just been camping for three days and couldn't have coped without earplugs. Research everywhere you're going before you go- google streetview is really good. If you wake up earlier than everyone else (I do, and sometimes feel like I'm in a different time zone), go for a walk if you can or do something routine every morning. I find that really helpful for structuring the day. I also stick to my usual 'times' for meals etc so I keep a routine.

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2013, 4:46 am

Feral_Cat wrote:
I take the blanket off my bed when I travel, it might sound humorous or cliche but it's very comforting to sleep with the same blanket I do at home. I also like to wrap myself in it, if I am uneasy or sick or just plain cold. I often sleep in my car when I travel since it's station wagon, it's very roomy. Often times I will wake up, sit up wrapped in my blanket, crack open my laptop and look at the weather and the news, just like my mornings at home!

I bring all my bedding you never know what those sheets have been through