Do you like having an autism spectrum disorder?

Page 2 of 6 [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

vanhalenkurtz
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2013, 1:35 am

Probably responsible for my poetry which is the only ostensible talent I have.

Probably responsible for having only one talent. Useless one at that.

EQ: 6.

DVCal
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2013, 1:36 am

No No No, Why would like being defective beyond belief. Those who answered yes, I suspect that is the defect talking.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2013, 2:26 am

I like it because I like being different and having a different perspective on the world; it feels like I can see some things about society and the way of the world more clearly than most people, although it does get frustrating when I have no one to share these insights with. In spite of my difficulties, I wouldn't trade my AS to become an NT, because then I'd just wind up with a different set of difficulties to replace the ones I gave up, and I'd be ordinary and just like everyone else.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

31 May 2013, 8:51 am

DVCal wrote:
No No No, Why would like being defective beyond belief. Those who answered yes, I suspect that is the defect talking.

Many of us (like me) don't view our autism as a defect, but as a gift. I understand that some people with autism do not see it that way, and I respect that and understand people have differing views on it. But for me autism has been a gift and a door to fascinating adventures and talents that I try to put to use. I find the positives and gifts and use them while not paying as much attention to the negatives. I am an autistic talent savant and I love my music. I have collected 30 synthesizers, 6 organs, 3 pianos, too many dulcimers and folk instruments for me to count at this time, and several wind instruments.

Then there are special intense interests like amusement parks/ roller coasters and house plans. I find great joy in exploring those topics. I got into magic illusions once and have a room filled with magic tricks.

Waste of money? No, because I have put many of those interests to work for me. I used to give magic shows and got a lot of money doing it. I have been a professional musician since I was in high school and that paid for most of the musical instruments.

So out of respect for our individual views on our situations with autism, I can say my autism is not a defect, but a gift. As far as any psychological definitions of autism go, they can call it whatever they want, but it is of my belief that it is up to the person living with autism to determine how it effects their life. And for me it is a gift.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2013, 10:45 am

Quote:
Those who answered yes, I suspect that is the defect talking.

Why wouldn't I like being a psychology student who genuinely enjoys my schoolwork and has been doing this sort of thing for fun for about 10 years before my first-year psychology class?

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2013, 11:01 am

Do you like having an autism spectrum disorder?

YES and NO. YES in that it make me a math and science genius with an IQ of 154. NO in that it make me blubbering ret*d in social situations. It's like being superman all the time. Ya, the superpowers are great but you are still a freak and there are times that you wish you could be good old Clark Kent.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It;s not the smartest nor the strongest that survive. It's those who are willing to adapt. - Darwin.

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2013, 11:01 am

Before I was diagnosed, I tried to live a neurotypical lifestyle with neurotypical aspirations. I had many issues understanding why I couldn’t be more “normal” (like my peers and role models). This led to a variety of problems (sadness, dysphoria, etc.).

Now that I am diagnosed, I can accept who I am. While I don’t like having the disorder (just like I wouldn’t like having a physical ailment), I can now 1) accept who I am; 2) understand why I perceive the world the way I do; and 3) understand why I do what I do.

Without a doubt, there are areas of inherent strength that I can continue to leverage. Likewise, there are areas of inherent weakness that I will need to continue to mask/avoid. I believe I am more content now with myself (after having the diagnosis) than I was before. And that is personally a good thing.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2013, 1:44 pm

I enjoy it. I see it as a difference that I get to celebrate along with my other differences. :)

Scia
Raven
Raven

31 May 2013, 10:11 pm

Actually, yes. Not so much because of something related to the advantages/annoyances (though the advantages are pretty fun), or just it being part of myself as because, for a long time, I've liked the idea of being different. I actually thought it was pretty cool when I first got reading glasses. I've intentionally requested to have simple, aesthetic details different than usual, before. I was also intrigued when I first learned about Autism. Something about the idea just seems... cool!

BritAspie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Jun 2013, 2:20 am

I've got Mild AS and I would not want to be any different because if say they found this cure for it then would the person that everyone around me has known for 22 years go altogether?

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2013, 9:29 am

I like being myself alot and being that person requires having an ASD. I like the creative gifts and strong personallity traits I have receved from having an ASD and I know there ASD related becouse they can be directly connected to it, there is a high price to be paid for them in the form of being disabled in meny other ways so it is counter balanced, perhaps a too much however I don't really care as I still like being me. Autism is a disabillity but not a complete disabillity like most others in my opinion. I could live without learning disabillitys (although laveing them may be forceing me to be more creative) and a few other things I have though, I have been bullyed alot in life and have other issues in life becouse of my ASD however I can't blame my brain for socities painful shortcommings. Not having an ASD just would not feel right as it is such a large part of who I am. I also never have experenced NT life so I don't know exactly what I am missing out on or how much easier NT life would be although it does look much easier to most.

Last edited by rapidroy on 01 Jun 2013, 10:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

SkyHeart
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Jun 2013, 5:59 pm

no ASD is horrible.

PerfectlyDarkTails
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2013, 6:08 pm

Neither like nor hat my Autism, its more of a label than the sole reason of what I am, it mearly serves as a descriptor and and answer for my neurological difference.

AS 168/200, NT: 20/ 200, AQ=45 EQ=15, SQ=78, IQ=135

Dutchy
Raven
Raven

01 Jun 2013, 7:19 pm

Yup, i really like who i am, because of my autism. My autism brings me a lot of good stuff! For instance: i experience life to the fullest, because of my highly sensitive senses. Therefore, my memory is mindblowing, because i experience life very intense. I can remember a lot of stuff! Some people think i have a photographic memory. I see or notice details others don't. Because i look at the world differently, i sometimes come up with things, others don't think about. I have my own creativity. Because of my high verbal intelligence, i'm really good with word and texts. And because i take things always so literal, people always know what they're getting from me, because i mean things exactly how i say them. I say what i think, and i do what i say. I'm always very clear (which most people like). I think in some cases its an advantage to not be overruled by emotions because i don't feel them always at the time others do. I think i'm very intelligence, i'm funny, and i'm a nice person. I'm honest and clear and i think i'm a really good friend! so yeah, i'm really happy about myself. There is nothing wrong with me. Would not want to change a bit! I don't need to be fixed you know. I'm just fine the way i am! Hope y'all feel the same way about yourself! 'Cause i think people with autism are great! :D

DVCal
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2013, 5:55 am

Ettina wrote:
Quote:
Those who answered yes, I suspect that is the defect talking.

Why wouldn't I like being a psychology student who genuinely enjoys my schoolwork and has been doing this sort of thing for fun for about 10 years before my first-year psychology class?

So sad, :(

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2013, 6:01 am

Indifferent.

I haven't known any different. It's like asking whether I like being left handed.