Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

YoungAtHeart
Raven
Raven

04 Jun 2013, 10:37 am

:scratch: I've never heard of that before. I don't quite understand it. I thought Aspergers was a social disorder. I don't get the connection with memory loss or anything of the sort with Aspies. Could someone explain it to me??? :shrug:

http://www.youtube.com/user/AnimatedSquirrel

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2013, 11:26 am

I have a really bad short term memory especially verbal but stuff in my long term memory I can see it clear as day like a photo

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2013, 11:28 am

Sorry, what was the question again, I've forgotten.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2013, 11:36 am

I don't really have memory problems. Not what affect my daily living and what you would call a ''bad memory''. I just forget things from the time to time like other people do, and can remember things I need to know generally.

supernewf709
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Jun 2013, 11:48 am

Years ago I got asked a lot if I was a stoner, long before I touched it.
I don't recall names, faces, dates, times, type of relative(cousin/aunt, etc).
What I do recall quite clearly even many yeArs later is food. When my woman wants to remind me of things; she first speaks of the food we had at that time.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2013, 12:08 pm

TallyMan wrote:

Awww...you beat me to it... :P

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2013, 12:32 pm

MjrMajorMajor wrote:
TallyMan wrote:

Awww...you beat me to it... :P

This happens to me a lot. When I read through a thread I often need to scroll to the top to reread the subject of the post.

thegreataturn
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Jun 2013, 12:52 pm

My short term memory is dreadful . Always forgetting what it is I am doing , like getting up to do something and
forgetting what it was I got up for before I even get half across the room . A lot of it seems to be when I get distracted ( I will see something or a thought will come to mind and what I was supposed to be doing gets instantly pushed from my mind ) I hate adverts on TV , I forget what it is I was watching when they come on .
I used to have an amazing long term memory until I was in my mid twenty's , then had a massive breakdown that has messed up my whole memory and now it's all just a mess a very fractured .

Tori0326
Toucan
Toucan

04 Jun 2013, 12:58 pm

Holy cow yes! I can put toast in the toaster, turn away and forget all about it until I smell it burning.
I think it's because I'm distracted by something I'm thinking and not paying attention to what I'm doing so it doesn't register in my memory. The "doing" can be making food, meeting someone, listening to someone talking, etc. It usually takes at least 3 encounters for me to remember someone.

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2013, 1:09 pm

I have fairly significant working memory issues, particularly with complex working memory. I didn’t realize it until I was diagnosed (the diagnosis included the Wechsler Memory Scale - WMS-IV).

So, I am still trying to piece together how this disorder all "fits together" (as a system).

It seems like there are a number of core cognitive weaknesses (including, but not limited to, Complex Sensory, Complex Motor, Complex Memory, Concept Formation, Face Recognition) that manifest themselves in a set of behavioral symptoms that is describe as Aspergers.

There are at least three cognitive theories of ASD -- including Theory of Mind (ToM; Baron-Cohen, 1989), Theory of Executive Dysfunction (Ozonoff, Pennington, & Rogers, 1991), Weak Central Coherence Theory (WCC; Frith & Happé, 1994; Happé, 1999). You can google to find the papers.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2013, 1:32 pm

Part of the Asperger's diagnosis is intense and narrow focus on a special interest. The by-product of this tunnel vision leads to the person forgetting and ignoring things they're also supposed to be doing. In my case, I've neglected to pay bills, take my meds, eat a meal or go to the convenience store to buy beer before they close.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2013, 1:57 pm

Example just this afternoon. A bolt broke on my garden cultivator, so I went and got a new nut and bolt. Pushed the new bolt into the hole then... erm, where had I put the nut? Not in my pockets; not on the ground, not perched on the cultivator. I felt really annoyed with myself. Had to go and get another new nut. :evil:

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2013, 2:18 pm

I have misplaced my basement key at least three times today. Each time, I tell myself "put it in a prominent spot", and then my mind wanders as I throw it where ever. :oops: :evil:

mrspotatohead
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Jun 2013, 2:33 pm

supernewf709 wrote:
Years ago I got asked a lot if I was a stoner, long before I touched it.
I don't recall names, faces, dates, times, type of relative(cousin/aunt, etc).
What I do recall quite clearly even many yeArs later is food. When my woman wants to remind me of things; she first speaks of the food we had at that time.

Wow. I wish I had a clear recall mechanism like that. It seems like random things cause me to recall childhood memories that are otherwise lost (and then I lose them again within a day or two of recalling them). Now that I have to take pills, my short-term memory has been a problem, too. And I just straight up tell the people I meet that "I won't remember your name, but I will remember your face and personality."

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2013, 3:08 pm

i originally had really good memory attributed to AS... but over time, bipolar disorder and its subsequent heavy regiment of psychiatric medications have begun to diminish it, especially short-term memory

twich
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Jun 2013, 3:25 pm

YoungAtHeart wrote:
I thought Aspergers was a social disorder.

Only part of it is social- It's neurological and developmental, too. That, and since it's a spectrum disorder, some will have amazing memories, others will not. I have a lot of co morbid conditions that also have memory problems, so I'm screwed no matter what it would seem. I for some it can be a processing issue, too, so you may not be able to recall something instantly, and be able to a day or two later, or vice versa (You can remember instantly, but not a few days later)