Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2013, 3:58 am

What characteristics do you think represents the ideal aspie?

Laddo
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2013, 4:40 am

Ideal in what way?

I am no longer using this account or this website. Do not bother contacting me because any messages will be ignored. The fact that you can't delete your profile while all your information is retained is also disgraceful.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2013, 8:48 am

Assuming you are an aspie, what traits do you most value in yourself?...

Jojopa
Raven
Raven

13 Jun 2013, 11:07 am

Same as the ideal human really... imaginative, independent, free-thinking, compassionate, reliable, nurturing, physically fit, playful etc

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2013, 12:30 am

One of the characteristics that impresses me with AS is the attention to detail that we as a group (almost) invariably possess...

My ideal aspie would have:
* Attention to detail...

Since we are on a spectrum, none of us would possess all the positive aspects associated with AS...
Is there something you would add to the ideal aspie list?

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2013, 8:05 am

Here is another positive characteristic:
Objectivity...

As a group, I think it is quite common for aspies to have a greater desire to be in touch with reality, rather than service the needs of collective or mob thinking.
In essence, NTs are often more concerned with tribal harmony, even at the expense of factual accuracy...

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2013, 10:05 am

I think the only reason that is the case is because we're forced to live in a world where collective thinking results in all too often consequences for us, and us alone. We would invariably deny that kind of thinking in order to prevent such an occurance again.

To put it simply, society has forced us to develop the means to think with an objectivity (ie the result of the damage of collective thinking) that society will never have. I don't think we have it by design, we develop it as a defense mechanism to society's rubbish.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2013, 6:51 pm

Jaden wrote:

To put it simply, society has forced us to develop the means to think with an objectivity (ie the result of the damage of collective thinking) that society will never have. I don't think we have it by design, we develop it as a defense mechanism to society's rubbish.

I agree that NT societal "rubbish" forces us to think, from my experience, more objectively...

P.S.
Love the ears... ;)

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2013, 7:02 pm

Indeed.

Thank you, they came with the face :lol: (the avatar is a reminder to myself to not let my emotions control me in any given situation, and instead to take a calm and passive approach. I believe it is working, likely due to being able to adopt the character).

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2013, 7:29 am

Here is another one:
My ideal aspie would be Honest wherever it is practicable...

The implication here is that not every situation can be approached honestly...
It would be very naive to think so, imo...

In principle, my ideal aspie would refrain from deception wherever it is prudent...
(It is, after all, in his/her nature to be honest...)
Wherever appropriate, he would say nothing rather than lie...
If pressed, he might say he'd rather not answer...
If he were American, he might plead the 5th amendment... ;)
If bullied, then all bets are off and he would show the deepest disrespect and manufacture a gold plated lie extraordinaire... ;)

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2013, 7:54 am

Jaden wrote:
I think the only reason that is the case is because we're forced to live in a world where collective thinking results in all too often consequences for us, and us alone. We would invariably deny that kind of thinking in order to prevent such an occurance again.

The triad of impairments are all limiting factors regarding fitting into collective thinking. I have to disagree with the last statement. Those with AS are inherently ill equipped to take part in group activities. Through time the feedback loop would enhance this effect but the key elements are what makes us both stand out and stand alone in the first place.

Beppieiscool
Toucan
Toucan

15 Jun 2013, 10:18 am

Aspies I know noticed have a lot of the human ideals such as compassion, ambition, creativity, and above all else kindness. The loneliest people are the kindest The saddest people smile the brightest. The most damaged people are the wisest.
But I have some more to add to it. Sometimes in life we find that we are not alone. We grab onto that person's hand and smile. Then no matter how impossible or sad things get. We hold on and pretend it's a plan.

The world is a mess.
The mess is full of color, beauty, laughter, happiness, sadness, pain, misery, and everyone can relate to this crazy world. For we all live

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2013, 11:28 am

neilson_wheels wrote:
The triad of impairments are all limiting factors regarding fitting into collective thinking. I have to disagree with the last statement. Those with AS are inherently ill equipped to take part in group activities. Through time the feedback loop would enhance this effect but the key elements are what makes us both stand out and stand alone in the first place.

Our issues as individuals with AS are not the only factors in being accepted in the eyes of society, society's acceptence depends entirely on whether or not society deems an individual worthy of attention and acception into the collective. Our problems from AS do contribute, but ultimately it's society's unwillingness to accept difference in other people that causes us to be separate from them. Blaming AS as being the sole problem in that is imo shortsighted, and only serves to make us think further that we're the ones that are broken while "society is just fine". The fact is, society is more broken than we are.

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2013, 11:52 am

I agree. It is the opinions of individuals that form society, and I'm afraid that I do not believe it can or will be fixed. It only serves to be a problem because those with AS are victimized and then continue to see themselves as victims

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2013, 8:22 pm

Indeed, this is sometimes the case.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2013, 9:13 pm

Jaden wrote:
Our issues as individuals with AS are not the only factors in being accepted in the eyes of society, society's acceptence depends entirely on whether or not society deems an individual worthy of attention and acception into the collective.

My ideal aspie would be self reliant...
He would develop tools/resources to increase personal independence...
After all, he is at the mercy of an alien world which often views him/her as something broken or threatening.

He would also not be inclined to lower his expectations...
He would refuse the principle of slotting into a position of the lowest common denominator to pacify an alien social system systemically oriented around hierarchical status.
My ideal aspie would not rebel against this social mechanism due to pride...
He would do so to protect the integrity of his individuality...

Jaden wrote:
Our problems from AS do contribute, but ultimately it's society's unwillingness to accept difference in other people that causes us to be separate from them. Blaming AS as being the sole problem in that is imo shortsighted, and only serves to make us think further that we're the ones that are broken while "society is just fine". The fact is, society is more broken than we are.

I think we can "blame" the evolutionary process for tribalistic social/community protectionism.
Presumably, in humanity's "genesis", there was a life and death struggle for the limited resources available...
Presumably this could have incorporated an "instinct" to eliminate the threat of, not only resource stealing by foreign tribal incursions, but internal elements that didn't directly contribute to the social harmony of that particular tribe.
This survival trait was then passed down through genetic material by the more successful aggression oriented tribes, as can be clearly seen in animal behaviour...
In essence, the nice guy/tribe finished last and was not as effective in the procreation race...

Personally, it seems the inmates have control of the asylum...
This seeming insanity is an unfortunate aspect of the nature of neurotypicalism and the consequences of the dominance of that particular life form in this life system...

Objective assessment of the situation for aspies:
Dominant life forms hostile.
Relocation to a less toxic planetary system advisable... ;)