What percentage of people with ASD's are left handed?

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

TheAvenger161173
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Aug 2017, 11:08 am

What percentage of autistic individuals are left handed? Is it higher? I've read so but wanted confirmation. Is there any reason for this? Is there research into this. Articles,stats etc would be good :)

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2017, 11:24 am

I know very few articles on the matter.

As for me personally, it's more 60% right, 40% left. Can write pretty well with both hands.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2017, 11:29 am

Have always read that for the general population its 10 percent left handed. And that its been that way for a long time. Most stone age tools of the Upper Paleolithic were made for left handed people Ive read.

Hypercoaster
Raven
Raven

27 Aug 2017, 11:45 am

It's a known phenomenon that there's a higher-than-normal percentage of individuals with neuropsychiatric disorders who are left-handed. It's really been studied in schizophrenia. Read up on the "testosterone theory." That's one hypothesis as to why left-handedness tends to occur more often in those with neuropsych disorders. It also explains why left-handedness occurs more often in males than in females (even in neurotypical individuals). I'm a big believer in this, as I am living proof. Both of my parents are right-handed, there is next to no left-handed individuals in my family (just two of my mom's cousins, who have very little genetic link to me), yet I'm a left-handed female on the spectrum who showed left-handed preferences in infancy.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2017, 11:49 am

Hypercoaster wrote:
It's a known phenomenon that there's a higher-than-normal percentage of individuals with neuropsychiatric disorders who are left-handed. It's really been studied in schizophrenia. Read up on the "testosterone theory." That's one hypothesis as to why left-handedness tends to occur more often in those with neuropsych disorders. It also explains why left-handedness occurs more often in males than in females (even in neurotypical individuals). I'm a big believer in this, as I am living proof. Both of my parents are right-handed, there is next to no left-handed individuals in my family (just two of my mom's cousins, who have very little genetic link to me), yet I'm a left-handed female on the spectrum who showed left-handed preferences in infancy.

Both of my parents are left handed. But both my sister and I are right handed. Go figure that.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2017, 11:52 am

I'm right handed, my dad is kind of ambidextrous, and my sister doesn't have a hand she uses more, so I guess she is ambidextrous as well.

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2017, 12:00 pm

I found this from 1983 of 26 autistic children: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6580656

Quote:
Sixty-two percent of the autistic children were non-right-handed compared with 37% of the controls. Left-handedness in autism was associated with an abundance of delayed echolalia. Heredity for left-handedness in some cases, and assumed brain damage and immature patterns of lateralization in others, were considered the cause of non-right-handedness in the autistic children.

There's no left-handedness in my family at all, as far as I know. Maybe there were some lefties that were forced to switch, but I never heard about them. I was right handed right from the beginning, I believe, and thought left-handedness was against the law or something, based on how people reacted when I wanted to experiment with using my left hand. However, I taught myself to be ambidextrous when I was about 8.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2017, 12:03 pm

I'm left handed, and as far as I know I don't have an ASD. However, I'm probably not NT either. My parents are both right handed, but my sister and I are left-handed. Also, I have longer ring fingers on each hand and I was born prematurely, if that's relevant at all.

naturalplastic wrote:
Both of my parents are left handed. But both my sister and I are right handed. Go figure that.

So in a way, my family is like yours but switched.

25. Near the spectrum but not on it.

North1
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Aug 2017, 12:34 pm

I'm a lefty 8) Can a poll be added onto this thread?

TheAvenger161173
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Aug 2017, 1:01 pm

North1 wrote:
I'm a lefty 8) Can a poll be added onto this thread?

Sure if someone wants to do it. I'm a lefty. I was looking for evidence in research etc. I've read it is higher than the general public but can't find much proof.

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2017, 2:10 pm

I'm right handed and in my family only person who is left handed is my father and he is not autistic though he has his own share of mental issues.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2017, 3:58 pm

I'm right-handed. A possible "forced convert" from left-handedness.

I was classically autistic at a young age. Aspergian at present.

Victor1985
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Aug 2017, 5:23 pm

It can change then can it? I've not heard of this before, people moving on the spectrum I mean.

I'm exclusively left handed, I'm also very awkward gripping a pen, and clumsy. So clumsy I've had to develop very fast reflexes to snatch whatever I've dropped out the air before it falls. I can only assume this is down to the spacial reasoning aspect. I've read people with aspergers have terrible spacial reasoning. I do, I'm not sure about other people.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2017, 6:09 pm

I can certify that I was a classic autistic until I acquired speech at age 5.

Then I became more aware of things, and I presented more Aspergian after that.

There's a book called "Elijah's Cup," which depicts such a person.

To some extent, Temple Grandin was like that.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2017, 6:26 pm

I would have to look up info: the only thing I already know is that I'm one of the very few left-handed people in either Mom or Dad's side of the family.

Redxk
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2017, 6:32 pm

I'm the only known left-handed person on both sides of my family. I once read a study linking it to stress hormones in utero, which would make sense in my case, because it was a high-stress pregnancy. I can't find that study again, though.