Page 1 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

ManErg
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2010, 5:01 am

In Australia it has been ruled that a gay bar has the legal right to ban heterosexuals:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-p ... 697469.stm

Surely this opens the door for Aspie only bars with NT's banned? Look at the justification: "the move would stop groups of heterosexual men and women abusing gay people" and especially: "Civil liberties groups said homosexuals should be allowed to relax in places without fear of bullying or intimidation. "

Those on the autistic spectrum also have the same right to be allowed to relax in places without those fears. God knows most of us have experienced enough "bullying and intimidation" trying to get by in the NT world.

So would any of you go to an AS only bar? Or would your evening be incomplete and unfulfilling without the presence of NT's?

mysassyself
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2010, 5:10 am

:D Great Idea.

A Thursday child ..

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

06 Sep 2010, 5:14 am

:lol

That's a good question!

When I was an actively lesbian radical feminist I went to a couple of women only bars on a fairly frequent basis over a year or more, before giving up, because I missed the presence of men too much!! !

Part of it was that the vast majority of the "regulars", the women who went almost without fail every weekend, all looked the same; they had the same sort of haircuts, wore the same jeans and t-shirts, the same boots/shoes, etc. And I missed the other kind of women.

The other part of the problem may simply have been that although definitely "queer" I am not a lesbian, ( am maybe bisexual, whatever, but not lesbian ) and that's why I found those bars "dull". :lol So I was like an NT in a Spectrum bar!

I have tended to find mixed gay/queer bars more enjoyable, because of the "camp", the revelling in "pose/performance" which see there ... whereas most of the women at the women-only bar seemed to be under the impression that their minimalist/purist androgynous look pose/performance was not one, but something natural/undressed up.

I have no idea what a gathering of all the shades of the spectrum would look like, because Autscape which I have attended for example does not appeal to everyone, and our meet-up in Avignon last year attracted only those up for travel etc.

I'd definitely give it a go though! Would love to see it happen! :D

Pseudeos
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Sep 2010, 5:46 am

Aspie bar? It's almost an oxymoron :lol:
How would one prove their neurological status? They should have to pass the AQ test or something. Then the self-diagnosed people won't be left out with their lack of official diagnosis.

"Are we not in the hands of a lunatic? God isn?t interested in technology. He knows nothing of the potential of the micro-chip or the silicon revolution. Look how he spends his time; 43 species of parrot! Nipples for men!"

scubasteve
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2010, 6:10 am

I really doubt anyone would be interested in crashing our party anyway. Although I'm curious what such a bar would be like. I'm picturing basically a lounge with no music, chess tables and a video arcade.

Aspiewordsmith
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2010, 7:46 am

That would be a good idea since we are expected to get along in NT society without any appreciation of how stressful and unrewarding it is.:arrow:

Assembly
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Sep 2010, 8:04 am

We already have those. They're called libraries.

scubasteve
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2010, 8:18 am

Assembly wrote:

They serve beer at the library now? 8O Why wasn't I told?!?

Invader
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Sep 2010, 8:32 am

scubasteve wrote:
Assembly wrote:

They serve beer at the library now? 8O Why wasn't I told?!?

We've been keeping it all rather "hush hush" for the moment.

Meow101
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2010, 8:49 am

scubasteve wrote:
I really doubt anyone would be interested in crashing our party anyway.

My thoughts exactly...

~Kate

Si tot mai multe cere.
--Mihai Eminescu

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2010, 9:20 am

Assembly wrote:

^ this.

mysassyself
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2010, 9:31 am

^ ^ What about the internet? Does anyone think that's like an aspie bar? I mean, my perfect bar has my favourite chair in it and I can wear pyjamas to it :P

A Thursday child ..

Delirium
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2010, 9:33 am

You have to be kidding me. How are you going to verify people's neurological status? Would you let in self-diagnosed people?

mysassyself
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2010, 9:40 am

Maybe anyone that is concerned about such issues ought automatically be admitted, since only aspies would pick up on such details.

A Thursday child ..

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2010, 9:59 am

I'm really surprised that could possibly be allowed :? ... b/c I'd think that would look like "discrimination" even though we'd be banning those who (in many cases) discriminate against us. Would all patrons need to bring copies of their diagnostic paperwork along with their ID cards? :lol:

ManErg
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2010, 10:20 am

Delirium wrote:
You have to be kidding me. How are you going to verify people's neurological status?

How do gay bars verify people's sexual orientation? :)

Peko wrote:
I'm really surprised that could possibly be allowed :? ... b/c I'd think that would look like "discrimination" even though we'd be banning those who (in many cases) discriminate against us.

Yes, that's why it's surprising that in the original story, it seems it's now allowed in some cases to discriminate against heterosexuals.

I would guess most NT's wouldn't go near an Aspie bar (like most straights would never go in a gay bar). No loud music and ostentatious status displays! The point is that as a sub-section of society that gets routinely discriminated against by the masses, we do have a right, just like gays, to demarcate our own spaces, to change the world into what we want rather than just having to fit in.