Page 1 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Sowlowsolo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Mar 2011, 6:53 pm

I remember reading somewhere (can't remember where though) that lack of oxygen at birth was quite a common factor among people on the Autism spectrum.

Does anyone here who has or suspects having ASD know if they where oxygen deprived for a while at birth?

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2011, 7:00 pm

I was diagnosed w/ PDD (an ASD) at 18 months. I was blue/oxygen deprived & on a respirator for 48 hrs. after birth. WEEEEE!! ! :D

Sowlowsolo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Mar 2011, 7:04 pm

Peko wrote:
I was diagnosed w/ PDD (an ASD) at 18 months. I was blue/oxygen deprived & on a respirator for 48 hrs. after birth. WEEEEE!! ! :D

PDD?

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2011, 7:20 pm

PDD is Pervasive Developmental Disorder, for some reason it was made in2 the umbrella term ASD's are now under :?

Sowlowsolo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Mar 2011, 7:54 pm

Peko wrote:
PDD is Pervasive Developmental Disorder, for some reason it was made in2 the umbrella term ASD's are now under :?

Do you happen to know what was happening in your life at that time for them to diagnose you at 18 months? Did your parents raise the issue or was it someone/somthing else?

Ikonovich
Toucan
Toucan

09 Mar 2011, 7:56 pm

I was born in a hard vacuum, like the dark gods.

poppyfields
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Mar 2011, 8:02 pm

Completely normal birth (and pregnancy), as did my 3 other NT siblings.

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2011, 8:04 pm

Sowlowsolo wrote:
Peko wrote:

Do you happen to know what was happening in your life at that time for them to diagnose you at 18 months? Did your parents raise the issue or was it someone/somthing else?

My lack of breathing was due to seizures that occurred repeatedly while in the hospital. They occurred constantly in the 1st 48 hrs. (why needed respirator). Long story short, b/c of the various birth issues my doctor flat out told my mom I'd never walk, talk or even sit up. So she was looking for problems from the moment I came out of the womb. Now I'm a fully functioning college student and have been seizure free since I was at least 2-3 months old :D. I could give more details but that would take awhile.

jamesongerbil
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2011, 9:16 pm

Glad you have been seizure free!
No, I think my birth was normal.

Cicely
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2011, 9:47 pm

I was not oxygen deprived. My mom's pregnancy was completely normal, and the only unusual thing about the birth was that I was turned the wrong way and got stuck; the doctor needed to use forceps.

paladin
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Mar 2011, 10:41 pm

I was a blue baby! My umbilical cord was wrapped around my throat, and I had so much mucus I could not breath for a minute or so. A few days after my birth mucus built up again somehow, and I turned blue again! Don't remember the story of how mom fixed that one... maybe I was still at the hospital?

I also knew another Aspie who was a blue baby as well. I don't know about her details though.

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2011, 10:45 pm

I was a blue baby too. I had to go into an incubator. I have AS.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2011, 10:59 pm

My mom had a hard labor with me. I was in the wrong position so I wouldn't come out, mother kept trying to push and I wasn't coming, I got stressed so I pooped in there. The doctor fortunately decided to reach up there with forceps and pulled me out and I was covered in BM. I became a very sick baby because of it. I've made a joke about it in the past, since I hate change so much, I hated the change coming so I fought to stay in and got myself sick instead.

My husband was blue when he was born too. But the complications were caused by his mother being sick so she coughed so hard, the cord tore from her placenta and then she was hemmerging. Parts of his brain died so it rewired itself. I think forceps were used on him too but I don't remember.

Last edited by League_Girl on 10 Mar 2011, 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2011, 1:44 am

Well I had a bit of an emergeny birth because I had the birth cord wrapped around my neck....so I imagine there was some oxegen loss.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

10 Mar 2011, 9:27 am

I was born by an emergency C-section because I was tangled up in my cord. I was oxygen deprived and almost didn't make it. So I believe this helped contribute to my autism. I also believe in the genetics---my maternal side has a lot of autistic traits in it. I believe the autism gene(s) can be turned "on" by a trigger such as oxygen deprivation.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2011, 10:08 am

My brother had lack of oxygen at birth. For decades, people blamed that for his being autistic (they didn't know he was autistic, just that he was unusual, and as a kid was diagnosed with a bunch of other things). Then they found out I was autistic too, and I had no such lack of oxygen at birth. For that matter, there were autistic people all over our family tree on both sides. At this point we think the oxygen loss created some of his motor issues but little more. So it's possible to blame the lack of oxygen and then find out it's genetic after all.