Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Sauron
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Jun 2013, 1:47 pm

I've read that people with aspergers regularly go into a monologue when talking about a subject they find interesting. I'm curious as to why. I've known quite a few people who can blab for hours about themselves (I'm pretty certain these people aren't autistic), but don't because they know others get annoyed. I would think this would also apply to those on the AS.

It just seems logical to me. You might not be able to read someone's body language, but surely with enough experience around people you would come to realise going on a long monologue leads to a negative reaction.

It could be the research out there is stereotyping all people with aspergers on a limited amount of data.

NEtikiman
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2013, 2:10 pm

Well, people with AS can, through a long period of trial and error, start to recognize and adapt to these kinds of problems... For me, I can blab about one topic (not about myself, but something that I'm very interested in) but I make a conscious to limit myself. This has not always been true and it took a lot of time and practice whereas it seems that a lot of NT's can do this naturally.
Not all Aspies have this monologue problem either. It's just one of a whole constellation of possible symptoms that could lead to a diagnosis. A monologue-like approach to interaction would go towards supporting a number of common traits (difficulty with social interaction, perseveration on a single topic, etc.)
Also, difficulty in understanding nonverbal communication (e.g. body language and facial features) are key components of an ASD and is supported by a lot of empirical data.