Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Noetic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2013, 6:14 pm

I know some people here have moved away from their original culture, and found they adapted much better to living in a foreign culture.

Has anyone here done that, and then successfully moved back? I'm asking because I've had an offer back home that would allow me to move back and live in comfort, and I'm very tempted. However I remember how alienated I used to feel back home, and I don't want to fall into the same trap.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2013, 6:29 pm

I left my original home so long ago I'd be like an alien going back. I haven't even visited them all these years.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2013, 7:22 pm

I have lived in a foreign country for many years but I can't say I have "successfully" adapted to this country, not because I'm culturally different but because I'm still "weird" (autistic weirdness seems to be universally unacceptable) even in a multicultural environment. I'd still say I'm kind of better off in this country though.

I'm sure if I go back to my original country I'd feel as alienated as I used to feel when I lived there. The culture of a country won't change so easily. So you should expect the same attitude of the people if you decide to go back. I go back to my country for a holiday about once a year. Although I can see their attitude from a different perspective now as I can compare their attitude with the attitude of the people in my adoptive country, it still doesn't enable me to deal with those people in my original country in a different way. I can see that when I interact with them while I'm there on holiday.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2013, 7:32 pm

I left my home state back in the 1980s, and have been living among Filipinos ever since.

I've become so involved for so long with Filipinos that Kanos all seem bobo at parang malikot to me.

1401b
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2013, 8:48 pm

Fnord wrote:
I left my home state back in the 1980s, and have been living among Filipinos ever since.

I've become so involved for so long with Filipinos that Kanos all seem bobo at parang malikot to me.

Ummm ... what?

I didn't even know they had interwebz in Filipinoland.

Noetic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2013, 12:36 am

jk1 wrote:
if I go back to my original country I'd feel as alienated as I used to feel when I lived there. The culture of a country won't change so easily.

That is what I worry about. However, I know that I have changed a lot, and caught up, and become able to organise myself mucuh better and have even become able to interact to some degree in groups of like minded people.

I was diagnosed where I live now, and have overcome a lot in the nearly 10 years since, and while I think I had some issues all my life, I do feel I was perhaps misdiagnosed as I am not affected enough.

I kind of like the idea of going back without the "burden" of a diagnosis, even if said diagnosis was given privately (when being assessed for something else) and is not on my records.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2013, 12:01 am

1401b wrote:
Fnord wrote:
I left my home state back in the 1980s, and have been living among Filipinos ever since. I've become so involved for so long with Filipinos that Kanos all seem bobo at parang malikot to me.
Ummm ... what?

"... Americans all seem stupid and troublesome to me."

1401b wrote:
I didn't even know they had interwebz in Filipinoland.

The Republic of the Philippines (Repúblika ng Pilipinas) has Internet access.

They also have electricity, running water, paved roads, telephones and a written language ... isn't that just amazing?

:roll: Oo, ako ay pagpapahayag ng pag-uyam ...

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2013, 4:50 am

Where is 'home' for you? If that's too nosy please ignore.

Have you been back much/at all during the 10 years?

Noetic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2013, 2:17 pm

neilson_wheels wrote:
Where is 'home' for you? If that's too nosy please ignore.

Have you been back much/at all during the 10 years?

German-speaking Continental Europe.

I've been back a couple of times a year, most years.

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2013, 2:36 pm

I don't have much to offer I'm afraid.

I spent a few years traveling when I was young, and this shaped my life so far. That was before I knew about aspergers, I did always know I was 'different' though.

I tried going home once to my small town and found it very uncomfortable after 3 months, but that's small town mentality for you.

Are you in a position to go over for an extended stay, to dip your toe in the water?

vanhalenkurtz
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2013, 5:04 am

Usually it's someone w/ a fond past finding renewal to be elusive or stale. In your case, not liking it in the first place, I don't know, how comfortable is comfortable to invent the future?

If you offered me a million dollars to go back to St. Louis, I'd have to ask: how long do I have to stay? Not a minute longer I bet.

EQ: 6.