Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

dgd1788
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2007, 4:46 pm

There are so many people that don't even know what Asperger's Syndrome is. So I have never heard people slur other than Rush Limbaugh.

Chihero
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Jan 2007, 6:46 pm

dgd1788 wrote:
There are so many people that don't even know what Asperger's Syndrome is. So I have never heard people slur other than Rush Limbaugh.

Do you mean that you have only heard Rush Limbaugh use "aspie" as a slur, or that you have only heard people use it against him?

mikh07
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2007, 5:23 am

Okay, I thought it was a little weird since according to wikipedia:

Quote:
Aspie -- A short-hand way to refer to a person with Asperger syndrome. First used and then made popular by Asperger syndrome author Liane Holliday Willey. Some people use it to refer to those on the whole autism spectrum rather than just those with Asperger's, even though there are differences between AS and other types of autism, such as language delays. There is controversy about whether or not the differences between autism and AS are significant enough to be considered separate conditions. To some degree it has become a slur by NT's towards AS sufferers. It is also used as a slur for an NT who is best friends, married to, or dating someone with AS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autistic_culture

I thought the 'ass pie' thing was interesting.. i say it 'ass pee' haha

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2007, 6:51 am

We use the term, NT the same way.

Droopy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Jan 2007, 11:29 pm

qotsafan77 wrote:
As far as people picking on gay and fat people, most people (especially NTs) are very insecure about themselves and what others think of them, and picking on peoples obvoius differences helps them feel better. Unfortunately, I think its just nature.

Man, you got that right. It annoys when someone seems worried about what I think about them. If they only knew how much I really don't care...at all.

Cyraq
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Jan 2007, 12:48 pm

If I see anyone using aspie as a slur I will keep punching them until It's not possible to inflict pain on them any longer.

snake321
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2007, 4:30 pm

There actually is alot of discrimination amoung aspies. Often times in society people don't discriminate on a label, they discriminate on our "symptoms". It's enough for them to know we're "different".

For one, groups like Cure Autism Now and The Autism Society, are painting a picture of autism as the rain man, there aren't many alternatives in the mainstream light, they tell people we're a burden and MUST be "cured"...
Now, I'm actually not against a cure, if it's done with the low functioning ones in mind and is made optional. But it's more the attitude that surrounds it than anything.

I got an autism group started for high functioning adults in my area (I've told this story somewhere else on these forums) and at first we agreed to allow the NT group leader to help us get on our feet before we could take off and run our own group... This was fine by me, I had no problems with that, because he had a point. But, once we got running and it was time for them to let us run the show, they pretty much refused on the grounds that we needed a babysitter. We WON our right to run the group on our own.

snake321
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2007, 4:32 pm

Also check out Post Autistic Economics, it's a political activist movement in France, it uses autism as a slanderoud word:

"The movement for Post-Autistic Economics (PAE) was born through the work of Sorbonne economist Bernard Guerrien. Started in Spring 2000 by group of disaffected French economics students, Post-Autistic Economics first reached a wider audience in June 2000 after an interview in Le Monde.

It was supported by the Cambridge Ph.D. students in 2001 with the publication of "Opening Up Economics: A Proposal By Cambridge Students" and is signed by 797 students.

The term autistic is used in an informal way, synonymous to "closed-minded" or "self-absorbed". It has been criticized for using the medical diagnosis, autism, as a derogatory expression.

The movement is best seen as a forum of different groups critical of the current mainstream: from behavioral and heterodox to feminist, green economics and econo-physics."

ghostgurl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2007, 4:35 pm

Nope, never heard it in public.

snake321
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2007, 7:39 pm

Well it was a french political movement, you live in california.

trent
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Jan 2007, 11:16 am

What was Lianne Holliday Willey thinking when she coined the term, ASS-PEE? Wasn't she able to realize, intellectually, at least that that "term of endearment" could easily turn into a slur?

Instead of ass-pee how about Gersie? Use the suffix of the name asperger, instead of the unfortunate prefix, huh? Just a thought.

Or Pergian, or anything without the word ass or pee.