Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2013, 11:58 pm

CheredIsTyping wrote:
We have rubber bands all over my work! Banding the candy by twos. Banding the bags by 25. Bands on the money.... and whenever I need to open a bundle, the band goes straight to my wrist. I've ended up with 7 or 8 on my wrist at the end of a shift. Then I put them back with the new bands, so they can be reused. Everyone else just throws theirs away, and it makes me sad.

gee, that reminds me of the story about the starfish at the seashore-

An old man had a habit of early morning walks on the beach. One day, after a storm, he saw a human figure in the distance moving like a dancer. As he came closer he saw that it was a young woman and she was not dancing but was reaching down to the sand, picking up a starfish and very gently throwing them into the ocean.
“Young lady,” he asked, “Why are you throwing starfish into the ocean?”“The sun is up, and the tide is going out, and if I do not throw them in they will die.”“But young lady, do you not realize that there are miles and miles of beach and starfish all along it? You cannot possibly make a difference.”The young woman listened politely, paused and then bent down, picked up another starfish and threw it into the sea, past the breaking waves, saying, “It made a difference for that one.”The old man looked at the young woman inquisitively and thought about what she had done. Inspired, he joined her in throwing starfish back into the sea. Soon others joined, and all the starfish were saved.

IdleHands
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Jul 2013, 5:29 am

Sorry for the misconception of mocking. I suck at reading people face to face so on a forum.... I also only make it about 5 minutes on the phone before my breathing becomes labored and my voice shaky.

The starfish story is great. I have told it many times in my life and repeated it to myself when I succumb to the "it does not matter" attitude.

You guys/gals are awesome.

I have always wondered: how does a rubber band ball start? Do you wad a piece of paper up and start wrapping the bands over it?

CheredIsTyping
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Jul 2013, 9:53 pm

AuntBlabby- that was a sweet story. I've heard it before too, but not with the last line.

IdleHands- we sometimes make them at work by wrapping around a paperclip, but you can tie two bands together & wrap around the knot.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2013, 10:07 pm

IdleHands wrote:
Sorry for the misconception of mocking. I suck at reading people face to face so on a forum.... I also only make it about 5 minutes on the phone before my breathing becomes labored and my voice shaky.

The starfish story is great. I have told it many times in my life and repeated it to myself when I succumb to the "it does not matter" attitude.

You guys/gals are awesome.

I have always wondered: how does a rubber band ball start? Do you wad a piece of paper up and start wrapping the bands over it?

I stated with a really small band and sort of balled it up,then I just added more by wrapping and rewrapping bands.I used the smallest first.It was real colorful but now I am adding the bands the post office uses on my mail and they are tan.