Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Annaliina
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Jul 2013, 3:52 pm

So. I was watching a video on youtube, curious about this stimming thing. Now, I'm new to the autistic community, so bare with me..

I flap my hands and rock and used to walk on tip toes (my parents lovingly called it me being tipie toes). I thought everyone did that. I thought I was just maybe more excited than most people.

So.

Really?

o_____o;;

Really?

I can't fathom that. I thought everyone was just stuffy and boring. o___o;;.

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2013, 4:07 pm

Welcome to WP. You won't find too many stuffy and boring people here.

grahamguitarman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Jul 2013, 4:08 pm

definitely ASD lol

I have Autism. My communication difficulties mean that I sometimes get words wrong, that what I mean is not what comes out.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2013, 4:22 pm

I have had similar thoughts. I thought everyone obsessed because I would see kids liking other things too a lot and the difference was they didn't talk about it like I did or think about it all the time. Now I am thinking again I was right the first time and reading about AS made me think NTs don't get obsessions.

I thought everyone watched things go by like looking at telephone poles or lines in the road, wheels on cars, or the bridge steels above your head as you go over a bridge, and looking at objects, etc. I thought everyone did this until I started reading about autism and watching movies about it.

Then that video of an autistic walking down the street, I thought everyone looked at hubcaps on cars or saw cigarette butts on grounds, or other junk on the ground and walls, and manholes, etc. and I thought do NTs not notice those things. Do they really miss them?

I also thought everyone heard TVs (that high pitch sound) and I was shocked not everyone could hear it. Of course some NTs can hear the sound too. I used to think as a kid people were ignoring the sound and weren't bothering to turn it off. People seem shocked when I know a TV is on or when I claim to hear it and saying how loud the sound is and it's so annoying. One time I walked into Walgreens and I said to my husband "It sounds like there is a TV on" and my husband points up to it. The cashier said I had good hearing. Not everyone is shocked about it.

Some things on here make me wonder to and I think "huh?' Ticking clocks for example. Do people not hear those? Do people not hear refrigerators humming either? When I watched that video of an autistic walking down the street, I thought do people not hear all those sounds? Is a sunny day really so dim to their eyes? I know my mother (NT) has light sensitivity because she always wore sun glasses or hats and always used car visors when she drove so I thought it was all normal. I don't bother with sun glasses or hats because I am deal with them fine just as long as the sun isn't shining directly in my face and its better in the fall and winter and spring. In the summer, the sun is just way above me and it brighter. But I wonder is it not that bright to other people? Sometimes the videos confuse me and what I read about autism. I don't know if I am misunderstanding what I am reading or hearing or what.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Annaliina

28 Jul 2013, 4:24 pm

o_______________o

What is life?

I know nothing.

Ok. Like. Legit. I'm not even joking. I thought that was normal.

o___o

ö____ö

Ok.

I guess it's definetly good I'm asking to get tested then.

Annaliina

28 Jul 2013, 4:29 pm

League_Girl wrote:
I have had similar thoughts. I thought everyone obsessed because I would see kids liking other things too a lot and the difference was they didn't talk about it like I did or think about it all the time. Now I am thinking again I was right the first time and reading about AS made me think NTs don't get obsessions.

I thought everyone watched things go by like looking at telephone poles or lines in the road, wheels on cars, or the bridge steels above your head as you go over a bridge, and looking at objects, etc. I thought everyone did this until I started reading about autism and watching movies about it.

Then that video of an autistic walking down the street, I thought everyone looked at hubcaps on cars or saw cigarette butts on grounds, or other junk on the ground and walls, and manholes, etc. and I thought do NTs not notice those things. Do they really miss them?

I also thought everyone heard TVs (that high pitch sound) and I was shocked not everyone could hear it. Of course some NTs can hear the sound too. I used to think as a kid people were ignoring the sound and weren't bothering to turn it off. People seem shocked when I know a TV is on or when I claim to hear it and saying how loud the sound is a nd it's so annoying. One time I walked into Walgreens and I said to my husband "It sounds like there is a TV on" and my husband points up to it. The cashier said I had good hearing. Not everyone is shocked about it.

Some things on here make me wonder to and I think "huh?' Ticking clocks for example. Do people not hear those? Do people not hear refrigerators humming either? When I watched that video of an autistic walking down the street, I thought do people not hear all those sounds? Is a sunny day really so dim to their eyes? I know my mother (NT) has light sensitivity because she always wore sun glasses or hats and always used car visors when she drove so I thought it was all normal. I don't bother with sun glasses or hats because I am deal with them fine just as long as the sun isn't shining directly in my face and its better in the fall and winter and spring. In the summer, the sun is just way above me and it brighter. But I wonder is it not that bright to other people? Sometimes the videos confuse me and what I read about autism. I don't know if I am misunderstanding what I am reading or hearing or what.

Me too! Omg! I was in the hospital and have an overload episode. It was sooo loud! I could hear the AC in my room. I walked out and into the rec room and couldnt handle the hum of the ice machine and the TV. I'd told the nurse and she gave me a funn look and said she didnt hear it. I asked the other patients and they gave me looks.

I also was having trouble not being able to have my skeepmask. Even at night, everything was too bright to sleep

I cant fathom this.

People.. Dont. Not everyone..

ö___________ö

GregCav
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2013, 7:17 pm

It's a brain that doesn't stop thinking.
The only way I can turn off my brain is to watch a movie or play a computer game.

I used to wonder why people couldn't walk out their front door at night without a torch. It's their front door, they know the location like the back of their hands, the moon is out. Can't you see the path?

I drive at night with my lights on low beam. High beam is too bright and gives me a headache. When I have a passanger they actualy ask me to turn on the high beams because they are scared that I can't see the road. I can see at night like I can at dusk.

I do oil paintings. People say to me that they wish they could do paintings. I'm like, well get some paint and start, what's stopping you? No amount of encouraging them works. They say they will, but they never do. Then they have to gall to "wish" that they could.

It's a whole new world here on WP. Once you start discovering what the differences are, you continue to find more and more.

nebrets
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2013, 9:29 pm

Apparently singing in public is not normal.

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2013, 10:10 pm

You wanna talk about stimming? then check this kid out. He will show you a thing or two about stimming.

[quote="LupaLuna"][youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oukupxRUA84[/youtube]

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2013, 10:16 pm

nebrets wrote:

Then I wonder why they made all those movies like Merry Poppins that depicted the act of singing in public.

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2013, 10:29 pm

GregCav wrote:
It's a brain that doesn't stop thinking.
The only way I can turn off my brain is to watch a movie or play a computer game.

I can't stop thinking ether. My brain is always in overdrive.

GregCav wrote:
I used to wonder why people couldn't walk out their front door at night without a torch. It's their front door, they know the location like the back of their hands, the moon is out. Can't you see the path? .

I go out at night to check my irrigation system in my back yard and I never bring a flashlight nor do I turn the porch light on. I just can see at night.

GregCav wrote:
I drive at night with my lights on low beam. High beam is too bright and gives me a headache. When I have a passanger they actualy ask me to turn on the high beams because they are scared that I can't see the road. I can see at night like I can at dusk..

I drive at night wearing sunglasses to avoid being blinded by on coming traffic.

GregCav wrote:
I do oil paintings. People say to me that they wish they could do paintings. I'm like, well get some paint and start, what's stopping you? No amount of encouraging them works. They say they will, but they never do. Then they have to gall to "wish" that they could. .

I can design entire electronic circuits in my head and I get told by people with Ph.D's in EE that they wish they could do that.

GregCav wrote:
It's a whole new world here on WP. Once you start discovering what the differences are, you continue to find more and more.

Your journey has just begun.

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2013, 10:41 pm

League_Girl wrote:
I also thought everyone heard TVs (that high pitch sound) and I was shocked not everyone could hear it. Of course some NTs can hear the sound too. I used to think as a kid people were ignoring the sound and weren't bothering to turn it off. People seem shocked when I know a TV is on or when I claim to hear it and saying how loud the sound is and it's so annoying. One time I walked into Walgreens and I said to my husband "It sounds like there is a TV on" and my husband points up to it. The cashier said I had good hearing. Not everyone is shocked about it.

I wonder if high pitch/frequency hearing is an autistic thing or not. I to can hear that sound from a tv. It's around 18Khz and normal human hearing can go to about 20Khz although it's suppose to go down when you get older. I am 42 and can still hear that.

Webalina
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2013, 1:32 am

Annaliina wrote:
So. I was watching a video on youtube, curious about this stimming thing. Now, I'm new to the autistic community, so bare with me..

I flap my hands and rock and used to walk on tip toes (my parents lovingly called it me being tipie toes). I thought everyone did that. I thought I was just maybe more excited than most people.

So.

Really?

o_____o;;

Really?

Heheh....I thought the same thing about myself. Somewhere on these boards is a thread I started called Things I Do that I Thought Everyone Else Did (But Doesn't). Turns out a lot of my traits I thought were typical for people to do, then I noticed that people don't rock in their chairs when they're not sitting in a rocking chair.

And I'll bet if you asked around, you'll find out you STILL kind of walk on your toes. I do. I didn't know it, and three different people mentioned it to me in one week.

vanhalenkurtz
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2013, 1:45 am

Annaliina wrote:
I thought everyone did that.

Yet, had you looked closely, you might had noticed they don't. So, in the funnel, & that speaks volumes. Beautiful.

EQ: 6.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2013, 2:13 am

Webalina wrote:
Annaliina wrote:

So.

Really?

o_____o;;

Really?

Heheh....I thought the same thing about myself. Somewhere on these boards is a thread I started called Things I Do that I Thought Everyone Else Did (But Doesn't). Turns out a lot of my traits I thought were typical for people to do, then I noticed that people don't rock in their chairs when they're not sitting in a rocking chair.

And I'll bet if you asked around, you'll find out you STILL kind of walk on your toes. I do. I didn't know it, and three different people mentioned it to me in one week.

Kids in my high school rocked in their seats. They were NT.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

nebrets
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2013, 5:03 am

LupaLuna wrote:
nebrets wrote:

Then I wonder why they made all those movies like Merry Poppins that depicted the act of singing in public.

My brother stopped me from singing the chick-fil-a song in the mall and said they people only sing in public in movies, not in real life.