Problems with remembering to take a shower etc.

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Kjell
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Jul 2013, 10:45 am

I'm 19 years old with Aspergers (it's pretty light though) and I constantly forget to shower or brush my teeth, I understand why you need to take showers and managing your personal hygiene but every time I'm not about to do something important (like going out with my friends to a club, going to a weeding or similar activities when you really need to smell/look decent) I always forget to shower regularly and even up to something like five days if I don't get reminded. I want to improve but I always fall short. Anyone here have any tips for my problem?

HopefulFlower
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Jul 2013, 10:49 am

I'm having the same exact problem! I am 17 going on 18 and have had this problem for over a year now. Luckily I have strong teeth. But my hair... it needs some recovering especially because I used to bleach it.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2013, 11:29 am

I don't forget to shower, but when I'm very depressed I just don't care about it and have to force myself. I do have an idea or two for that might help you remember if you want to try it.

Set some sort of special alarm that has a distinctive sound and goes off at whatever time you set each day. Not your alarm clock sound, because you want the eventually start associating that different sound itself with "it's time to take a shower". Now, I don't know a whole lot about technology but on my cheap little cell phone I can set different alarms at different times on different days and set the sounds to different ringtones. So if you were to set your regular alarm for whatever time you get up then set the second one to go off maybe 30 minutes later to remind you to shower, that might work. You might also need to put up some sticky notes on the bathroom mirror or leave notes for yourself at first to remind you what you set the second alarm for, but I'd think after a few days or so you would associate that sound with going and showering right then. And make yourself go do it too, right when the alarm goes off.

Also, when you are invited somewhere you could go ahead and set the alarm days in advance, when you get the invitation right away, and set it to go off maybe an hour or two before you leave home. After a few times of doing that it may become habit to just set the alarm in your phone to shower and start getting ready as soon as you are asked to go somewhere, and because you can do this days in advance on a phone, that could work out good.

I don't know what other technology is out there like that, but I'm betting you do. I'm almost 50 and don't keep up with that stuff, but my kids do and you are in that age group. Also, put up a note about brushing your teeth there in the shower too so you'll see it. Or you could just keep your toothbrush in the shower and brush in there like one of my kids used to do.

Good luck and let me know if that works for you.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

xarrid
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Jul 2013, 11:42 am

Kjell wrote:
I'm 19 years old with Aspergers (it's pretty light though) and I constantly forget to shower or brush my teeth, I understand why you need to take showers and managing your personal hygiene but every time I'm not about to do something important (like going out with my friends to a club, going to a weeding or similar activities when you really need to smell/look decent) I always forget to shower regularly and even up to something like five days if I don't get reminded. I want to improve but I always fall short. Anyone here have any tips for my problem?

Make it part of a routine that you do every morning. The easiest way is to create a checklist of everything you need to do when you get up and go down for bed every day, with the last part of your morning checklist to print out the checklist for tomorrow. Basically you will be reminding yourself to do it every day. Now the big trick is finding a spot where there is no way you can miss the checklist when you get out of bed. Once you see it, you have to force yourself to follow it.

squonk
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2013, 12:22 pm

It's not remembering to have a bath, it's remembering that the taps are running.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2013, 1:15 pm

I have trouble remembering or bothering to do it too. My only suggestion is to do it at the same time every day. I should be bathing every day but not everyone needs to wash their hair every day.

nebrets
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2013, 4:02 pm

I am 26 and still struggle with that. I generally remember on Saturdays because I get ready for church the next day, but according to social convention I need more showers than that.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2013, 4:04 pm

I don't forget to take showers or clean my teeth. I just don't like doing it, and so have to force myself. Once I done it I do feel a lot better. I also hate washing my hair, and I have occasionally forgotten to do it, which is why I have set days where I do it so that I can plan it out better. Yes, washing my hair is my worst ever chore, which is why my brain hates remembering such a thing.

Humans are very passionate about hygiene. It seems to be one of the most important things if you want to earn respect. Like the other day at work I said, ''I haven't had a bath for over two months'', and everyone in the room stopped what they were doing and looked at me in shock. Then when I said, ''I've been having showers instead'', they all looked relieved and carried on doing what they were doing.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2013, 4:53 pm

I am really into hygiene but sometimes I don't shower just because I am too tired. I ALWAYS do my teeth though. But if you don't shower every day I suggest you at least clean your face, armpits, and private parts every day even if it's just with a washcloth in the sink.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2013, 7:09 pm

because I don't wanna end up with my teeth in a cup on the nightstand, I take regular diligent care of my teeth. but in terms of bodily cleanliness, the only thing that makes me bathe is that I hate being sweaty and oily and greasy and stinky. my tin can though, is like something outta "hoarders."

EsotericResearch
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Jul 2013, 8:20 pm

Late '20s here, person living with me reminds me to do it every week. Also have a strong dislike of water. It is good to have a person remind you. One idea is to recruit a friend to call you on shower day so that you can mentally prepare in the morning before you do it at night.

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2013, 8:33 pm

It's best to get into a strict routine with respect to personal hygiene. In my case, as soon as I wake up in the morning, I eat breakfast, then immediately go take a shower, shave, and brush my teeth. It's become so much of a habit that I honestly feel like my day is ruined if I can't do it, I feel gross for the rest of the day. I also brush my teeth again right before bed, but that one is harder to do as consistently because sometimes I'll be super-tired, and I'll just collapse before I can brush them.

Noetic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2013, 12:31 am

Routine is your friend

Shellfish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jul 2013, 1:37 am

So, part of our daily routine in our household is that my son and daughter have a bath after dinner, every night, before bed. This has been his routine for 6 years - should I not then assume that he will do this on his own when he is older - a teenager?

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2013, 10:55 am

Shellfish wrote:
So, part of our daily routine in our household is that my son and daughter have a bath after dinner, every night, before bed. This has been his routine for 6 years - should I not then assume that he will do this on his own when he is older - a teenager?

If he is comfortable in this routine and not having any trouble with it now I imagine he should continue it as he gets older. Other people may be able to give you different insight but I think that if he is good with it now it is most likely comforting to him and as he gets older if the routine of his life does not change too much I imagine he should not have any trouble continuing to bathe.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2013, 11:02 am

If showering is a challenge you could also set up a very special treat like a special piece of chocolate or something that you love or if you have a stuffed toy you like to touch and only allow yourself to have it or touch it after you have taken a shower. It can be your special apres shower treat reserved specifically and only for that occasion. Or keep a special item that you love in the shower that you get to touch while you are showering. I also use organic soaps or shower gels that have gorgeous natural real scents so I love to smell them and that makes me want to shower more. But if you are sensitive to scents there are gorgeous non scented soaps that have beautiful texture and feel nice to put on your skin. Sometimes I even bring my MP3 player and my little speaker box in and set it on the floor so that I can hear my favorite calming music while I shower or especially if I take a bath. And I like to keep the lights low or even only have candlelight sometimes too. I use battery operated flickering candles but I have used real pillar candles at times and put them on the floor or on the sink or on top of the toilet tank so that they are a safe distance and don't fall over. Also gorgeous shower curtains or pretty shower stickers that have nice textures to touch on the walls and tub floor or glass doors are great. Anything that makes it a comforting and beautiful place that makes you want to be in there is great. That helps makes it a really soothing and comforting and enjoyable. It should be a creative and wonderful experience I think. But a little special incentive can go a very long way.

Last edited by skibum on 26 Jul 2013, 11:47 am, edited 11 times in total.