Page 1 of 4 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Ravenclawgurl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2011, 3:05 pm

any one else use ear plugs and what tyoe do you use i usually use the foam one back i was college (last year) during tests so i could concentrate

also i just heard of a different type of ear plugs that sound amazing but i dont whear to buy them also they sound too go to be true they are earplugs that claim to muffle back ground noise only if they would work that would actually be amazing i dont know wether to trust that they would work has anyone ever used these?

http://www.hearos.com/hearnowearplugs/

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2011, 3:11 pm

I cannot use earplugs due to a condition affecting my ears, but I carry noise-cancelling headphones almost everywhere with me; extremely valuable especially on the the London Underground or on the dual carriageway near my house.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2011, 3:13 pm

My dad is a railroad engineer and brought me some of the earplugs that train workers get, and they're unfortunately worthless. They're made of the softest foam I've ever handled, and they're not stiff enough to stick in your ears. They just turn to mush when you try to stick them in there. It's like trying to shove a small pillow into a car's tailpipe with your finger.

liveandletdie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2011, 3:14 pm

my dad uses ear plugs every night when he sleeps

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2011, 3:44 pm

I wear ear plugs that look like the ones you linked to. They don't reduce the volume as much as I expected, but absolutely take the edge off of it all. It feels like they make me hear like a normal person with an increased range of hearing rather than someone with both an increased range of hearing and hearing everything louder than it is.

I definitely like wearing earplugs around and having some that don't muffle sounds is definitely useful. I'm planning on buying a second set of ear plugs when I have the money, that reduce sound more, but these ones will absolutely still get use (I just need more than that when I'm going sound sensitive).

twich
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Sep 2011, 4:08 pm

Jory wrote:
My dad is a railroad engineer and brought me some of the earplugs that train workers get, and they're unfortunately worthless. They're made of the softest foam I've ever handled, and they're not stiff enough to stick in your ears. They just turn to mush when you try to stick them in there. It's like trying to shove a small pillow into a car's tailpipe with your finger.

I have really soft foam ear plugs, they're memory foam- You have to roll them really small.. Like a squished tube, and quickly stick them in your ear and place your finger on the base for a few seconds so it expands properly and doesn't come out.

I like using headphones, but I can't because of my tinnitus, it makes it more painful, so I just use sound cancelling earbuds. Those earplugs look cool though, if you get them and they work, let us know!!

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2011, 4:14 pm

I own some earplugs, but sometimes they can annoy me when kept in my ears for too long. I start to hear this constant low hissing sound in my ears, as though the silence is actually louder than all the blocked-out noises. And then I start to hear my breathing loudly in my ears, and that is very annoying! But I can usually hear that when laying down with earplugs in.

I can't go out with earplugs in because it's this stupid day and age where things like earplugs are socially forbidden, and so anybody seen wearhing unusual things that are socially forbidden will be attacked (not physically), and I can't be doing with that. I have enough looks from people, thank you. So I can't escape noise from outside. I don't really like to block noise anyway, because if somebody talks to me or asks me something, I would be unable to hear, and then I would appear unfriendly or rude. I do like to be alert, despite all the horrible noises I don't like, like toddlers screaming loudly.

markitzero
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2011, 5:13 pm

I use Noise Cancelling Ear buds

Halligeninseln
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Sep 2011, 5:36 pm

I wear the foam earplugs whenever I travel on public transport. If I wore them in other places it would be great but I'd become even wierder than I am already, so I don't.

Do you actually hear things LOUDER than most people or do you just notice sounds more? I think I just notice them more because my brain needs a stimulus-free auditory world.

I was stopped by a TV crew once when I was wearing my earplugs. They asked me how many senses people had. I said seven thinking that seven was six. They suggested I count the senses together with them and showed me how it was done: one, two, three etc. They then asked me which sense I could most do without, sight or hearing. I said hearing and added that it would even be quite nice not to be able to hear because the world was too loud. (This is a true story)

Goose25
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Sep 2011, 5:51 pm

I wear them every day. Mostly while asleep, but on occasion during the day as well.

Yumeji
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Sep 2011, 5:54 pm

SteelMaiden wrote:
...I carry noise-cancelling headphones almost everywhere with me...

twich wrote:
...I just use sound cancelling earbuds.

markitzero wrote:
I use Noise Cancelling Ear buds.

Ever since I tried the Bose QuietComfort headphones at BestBuy, I've been interested in buying something with noise cancellation. Does anyone know if all noise cancelling headphones and earphones are as good as the Bose QuietComfort? Also, is there a difference between noise cancellation and sound isolation?

GaryOak
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Sep 2011, 5:58 pm

I use earplugs that are made of foam and flesh color, I keep them in my wallet.

They are good and reliable, cheap too. I'm sure I could find a better product but they usually get the job done.

DragonKazooie89
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Sep 2011, 7:20 pm

Only when camping because of my parents' snoring

Comp_Geek_573
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2011, 1:21 am

Just certain sounds bother me when I'm trying to sleep. I can handle crickets, cars going down the road, rain, or even thunder. But faint human voices while I'm in my room BOTHER ME TO NO END. Doubly so if they're female. I always think I'm missing out on something grand and awesome... Even if I KNOW FOR A FACT that it's nothing, when I go back to my room I always get the FEELING that it's something I can't miss, and therefore cannot fall asleep. So I have earplugs to drown those out. My roommates will comply if I ask them to keep it down... but I have the earplugs so I don't have to demand total silence. And they're enough to drown out people talking on the sidewalk below...

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2011, 1:55 am

Sometimes. I rarely use them now but I have some for when I need them.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2011, 2:45 am

I use them (soft, foamy earplugs) when I'm fed up with the commercial radio program my colleagues force on me during my working hours and I don't have anything at hand to listen to via earphones or I'm fed up with them too. As a result co-workers see me as being more weird than ever before. :)