What are your thinking styles/inner worlds?

Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

LearningTime
Raven
Raven

19 Nov 2012, 8:53 pm

(What are) your Thinking Styles?
I'm really interested in knowing what is actually behind the surface of people.

So for example I've found out that classic autists see the world in 2d and their dreams are the patterns colours that they perceive the world. and that's why they don't develop words early on because they don't see objects they see just the patterns of their 'screen'. (Did you know we all see 2d technically but our visual processing lets us work out 3dness). Dyslexic people see images instantly when they hear or read a word. i've read some people apparently think musically (i dont know how that works).
Also inner worlds that autistic people have - can any of you describe that like is it like virtual reality? how do you work in that world like is it in first person or you view it in third person or what?

So I was hoping anyone tell their thinking style? 'normal' people too.
Also say what you think about/do in general if it helps describing your thinking style.

So here's my thinking style as an example - I read a lot of artcles get interested in how things work - right now it's how different people's brains work (ie pretty much what i'm asking about here) and so i'll read articles on it, videos etc and then what i'll think about it verbally and take not of key thoughts, and basically when i think in my mind it's about logical things how stuff works and my reasoning is done with verbal worded thoughts which i hear myself say. also sometimes i'll think about the meaning of a word and overly simplify it so it becomes a diagram i can see so 'give' could be like an arrow from one thing to another - this is when i want to make a system for something i've learnt about. when i'm reading pictures form in my mind and from trying recently i can visualise things and mentally taste without actually tasting just like i guess remembering what it tastes like but i'll imagine (see myself) drinking something and feel like i'm tasting it exactly as it is. also when i imagine visuals just literally i've told myself i want to mentally see stuff what the words mean then if i imagine something abstract could just be a colour with maybe a vague shape to it or a face then it brings 'feeling' by that i mean it's not an emotion but it's like a blissfull interesting feeling that that unique image i've thought up just has as it pops into my mind. my real life memories are in first person as i experienced them (my dyslexic friend says his memories are in third person). Also my emotions go around feeling just 'bad' from trolls that speak in that tone of voice with those smilies etc, nervous around people when i see em on sight (i'm learning how to change this), angry when my mom just is all sors of saying incorrect things whilst stating i don't understand something or whatever - anger from general stupidity. on my own i feel completely fine normal - if i think too much after a while i just feel emotionally fatigued. i can make myself excited when i stop thinking and start mentally visualising sensing and all of that it just puts me in an in the moment sensory state. when i've been excited sometimes i'll feel lonely (desire to be around people in the flesh) and sometimes in that state i'll feel anxious around them not nervous liek their faces look slightly threatening without me reeally being aware of it but just like i want to be around them but i'm thinking about what their thinking and stuff like that. anxiety rather than nervousness. and that's pretty much it.

So yeah basically what's your thinking style if it's visual, verbal or anything just describe it how it actually works what you notice etc and what you think about? I'd say this explains pretty much the root of well everything you see around you (bar scientifically how mechanical motion works but biological motion it explains).

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2012, 9:00 pm

The inner world is a world within a world.

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2012, 9:09 pm

I have classic autism, and I am fairly certain I see a 3d world (although I have nothing to compare it to). How can you tell?

Edit: okay maybe I do see 2d afterall. I just googled comparison pictures of 2d vs 3d, and they all look the same to me. I mean, some are animated and some aren't, but they both look identical aside from that....

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

LearningTime
Raven
Raven

19 Nov 2012, 9:17 pm

littlelily613 wrote:
I have classic autism, and I am fairly certain I see a 3d world (although I have nothing to compare it to). How can you tell?

how i think it works is (it's real interesting) we're 3d entities in a 3d world but when we're looking at the 3d world we look at it through a screen. - our two eyes gain information and using paralex guess how far the objects are away from each other etc.

a better way a way i thought about it say you're sitting on the toilet and there's an open top bin in front of you. you look at it and in that gaze you can tell it's 3d that there's that whole in the middle that you could put your hand through - you can tell that if you ran your hand around the edges your hand would be moving forward in space hence it's 3d. however imagine you're watching the tv of that image and so the image on the tv is the bin exactly at you're seeing it now except when you go touch that image of the bin on the screen that looks exactly the same as your eyes view the object on real life you can't feel into the bin or move your hand forward as you trace teh edge of teh box and therefore when you're simply looking at the bin as you're sitting on the toilet that particular first person vision you have just like the tv image of it is on a flat screen.

and so that would explain if classic autism you just see the edges but never feel the depth so i'm guessing it's all patterns each time you look your screen is just like a 2d pattern. but yeah you can tell i suppose by knowing if an object is moving rotating when it actually is. or maybe you can tell by having a feel of distance and maybe having a feel of the weight of an object where it stands just by looking at it.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2012, 9:21 pm

Do you see 4 dimensions?

LearningTime
Raven
Raven

19 Nov 2012, 9:25 pm

androbot2084 wrote:
Do you see 4 dimensions?

do i have to keep ignoring you?

PerfectlyDarkTails
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2012, 9:27 pm

Well my thinking style is extraordinary well ordered and fast paced with the ability to logically connect any two things with ease. I have hypo-sensitivity accompanied with hypo-activity, which I do struggle to perceive anything at all.

The inner world is often colorful, often with a lot of magical thinking in place of things that has gone disorganized. Two characters, converse with each other, these characters change their form dependent on special interests. One character is very quiet, shy and full of smarts, while the other is chaotic loud and disobedient. With them together, can take me back into the real world.

AS 168/200, NT: 20/ 200, AQ=45 EQ=15, SQ=78, IQ=135

Jojopa
Raven
Raven

19 Nov 2012, 9:53 pm

Sometimes I visualise what I'm thinking about as a Wikipedia page, and if I'm debating something in my mind, a conversation between two editors on a talk page. I find it allows me to make more informed decision since each editor is acting as the other's devil's advocate and so I'm more likely to expose a flaw in my reasoning.

LearningTime
Raven
Raven

19 Nov 2012, 10:04 pm

Jojopa wrote:
Sometimes I visualise what I'm thinking about as a Wikipedia page, and if I'm debating something in my mind, a conversation between two editors on a talk page. I find it allows me to make more informed decision since each editor is acting as the other's devil's advocate and so I'm more likely to expose a flaw in my reasoning.

interesting i got the picture of general kind of you take what you think other people would think. like a social voice. as you said a devil's advocate (someone else) you think is more likely to expose a flaw whereas i think i'm more like this is what it is (the objective, the subject matter etc say magic the gathering building a deck to win) and this is how it works. guess it depends what ones thinking about - i tend to think about those objective things and scientific things how something physically works like how the brain would physically work with it's neurons and sensory receptors etc.

LearningTime
Raven
Raven

19 Nov 2012, 10:23 pm

PerfectlyDarkTails wrote:
Well my thinking style is extraordinary well ordered and fast paced with the ability to logically connect any two things with ease. I have hypo-sensitivity accompanied with hypo-activity, which I do struggle to perceive anything at all.

The inner world is often colorful, often with a lot of magical thinking in place of things that has gone disorganized. Two characters, converse with each other, these characters change their form dependent on special interests. One character is very quiet, shy and full of smarts, while the other is chaotic loud and disobedient. With them together, can take me back into the real world.

ok... i've found that when i do some imagining or imagining based on a story i'm reading then after seeing all those mental visuals and sesnations i take in the real sensation more and i read people's faces better and there's no 'thought noise' in my mind (eg worded thinking that's kind of present as if i could start thinking in words at any time).

idratherbeatree
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Nov 2012, 11:15 pm

Here is how I think:

When I was younger, I was very hyperlexic. My inner monologue was actually a sort of inner-typewriter. I'd see the words typed out in my head. Much later I learned to "Speak" the words in my head while I read them. This actually slows me down A LOT. Which is one of the reasons I do it. It keeps me on topic instead of flying very far ahead of things.

Ironically, I have very very bad memory of spoken or written words. Following directions is extremely difficult for me.

I take mental pictures of everything. If I think about my house I can see it from every angle I've ever looked at it from, and imagine the rest with good accuracy. When I go into a room I sort things in two categories "Permanent" and "Temporary" items. When Permanent items move I have to take a new picture because It doesn't look like the same room to me. This makes me very uneasy.

Many things like clothing, a musical instrument, etc. Those things move regularly. Furniture doesn't. If my therapist moves his lunchbox (An Item my brain has decided is "Permanent" I freak out a little mentally.) I don't like having to take useless pictures but my mind does it automatically.

I can see pretty much every place I've ever been. However I purposely avoid looking at details, signs, shelves, things like that. I get an experience, lets call it "Mnenonic Overload" (Vs. Sensory Overload)

My brain tries to remember everything and it HURTS. I actually sometimes walk around with my eyes closed because of it.

Sound is also odd. I'm almost tone deaf, but I remember aspects of sound that other people don't hear. Instead of hearing pitch, I hear texture. Things like distortion and reverb are so distinct and original that I can identify a recording from my music library from very small fragments of it.

I have thousands of songs in my head. I pretty much always have one running through my head.

I'm always trying to slow down my brain, I get overloaded so quickly. I just try not to end up rocking back and forth on the floor trying to shut everything out. Makes me want to live in a cabin in the woods.

This is of course, why I trained myself to "speak the words" I read in my head. If I don't slow myself down, speaking gets very difficult for me. I make constant errors.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2012, 12:28 am

Dyslexics report letters interposing and sometimes changing colors. I read something, am congratulated, but it wasn't there.

I had dreamt of a heaven made of ordinary things, but they were in harmony. A bearded man with a long spoon poured something wet on a tripod of coals. They popped with a tune and rhythm while I quit breathing in my sleep.

I think of words, which never come back void, but go on with eternal force.

If there is a momentary distraction or glitch in my understanding, it appears to me as unbroken. My mind puts something, in the gap, where nothing was, but it seems to make sense to other people. Continuity is preserved in a meaningful way.

I look at patents, and see vital components, which the inventors left out. The same lines appear between stars or textures in a room.

I have to make myself focus, in order not to daydream, but I cannot go all the way to sleep without trying.

Quote:
Makes me want to live in a cabin in the woods.

I have also admired homesteads in the desert, with interesting geology and well water.

One man continued to live on a Hawaiian island, even when lava had wiped out his neighbor's homes and the roads. He traveled into town on a motorbike, when he needed something, which did not seem to be often.

I have even wondered whether sensory deprivation chambers would be worth the maintenance.

I think my problem with NT's is with rash interruptions, false starts, tangents, dead ends, and expressions of futility. I think of the game of Operation. If you're clumsy, the nose lights up. They string words together to find and exploit vulnerabilities.There is no intended goal, destination, or evidence of will.

Besides being grateful for restorative rest, when I can find it, I could probably devote myself to anything useful, do it meticulously, and be well. I take seed out of a tropical fruit, plant it. A tree grows, and I am happy for continuity and purpose.

I think of Tyler Durden, on Fight Club, and he wants people to have a dream. "Tomorrow will be the most beautiful day of Raymond K. Hessel's life."

LearningTime
Raven
Raven

20 Nov 2012, 2:00 am

idratherbeatree wrote:
Here is how I think:

When I was younger, I was very hyperlexic. My inner monologue was actually a sort of inner-typewriter. I'd see the words typed out in my head. Much later I learned to "Speak" the words in my head while I read them. This actually slows me down A LOT. Which is one of the reasons I do it. It keeps me on topic instead of flying very far ahead of things.

Ironically, I have very very bad memory of spoken or written words. Following directions is extremely difficult for me.

I take mental pictures of everything. If I think about my house I can see it from every angle I've ever looked at it from, and imagine the rest with good accuracy. When I go into a room I sort things in two categories "Permanent" and "Temporary" items. When Permanent items move I have to take a new picture because It doesn't look like the same room to me. This makes me very uneasy.

Many things like clothing, a musical instrument, etc. Those things move regularly. Furniture doesn't. If my therapist moves his lunchbox (An Item my brain has decided is "Permanent" I freak out a little mentally.) I don't like having to take useless pictures but my mind does it automatically.

I can see pretty much every place I've ever been. However I purposely avoid looking at details, signs, shelves, things like that. I get an experience, lets call it "Mnenonic Overload" (Vs. Sensory Overload)

My brain tries to remember everything and it HURTS. I actually sometimes walk around with my eyes closed because of it.

Sound is also odd. I'm almost tone deaf, but I remember aspects of sound that other people don't hear. Instead of hearing pitch, I hear texture. Things like distortion and reverb are so distinct and original that I can identify a recording from my music library from very small fragments of it.

I have thousands of songs in my head. I pretty much always have one running through my head.

I'm always trying to slow down my brain, I get overloaded so quickly. I just try not to end up rocking back and forth on the floor trying to shut everything out. Makes me want to live in a cabin in the woods.

This is of course, why I trained myself to "speak the words" I read in my head. If I don't slow myself down, speaking gets very difficult for me. I make constant errors.

i get your name btw. constant success living as a tree. or maybe theres a different reason for it idk.

i just learnt about hyperlexia on aspies for freedom haha my honest opinion of that was wow that person is more logical than me like i take it you visualise words because you have the sense of the meaning of words by the actual way of the words - what i mean is hyperlexia when you visualise it you can compare it to hyper(something else) or just seeing the hyp- part you can compare to hypo rather than hyper and that's a lot easier to do for that systematic thinkin than just hearing the words as you'd have to literally repeat the same word to hear rather than just be seeing it and it jogging your mind. when you saw the words typed out would you see words like 'if' 'then' 'and' 'or' 'therefore' etc - because that seems to be the crux of my logical thinking and understanding. or would you just see keywords or what? so right now i'm reading your stuff and it's just jolting me into thinking so i read your first paragraph wrote the bits before this sentence and whilst doing so had the thought pop up i remembered thinking, realising that i don't actually like speaking mentally as my thought it's slow and when i notice the voice being used i hate it like i should pay attention to how it sounds even though that's not on topic to what i'm thinking about. like maybe you would notice the font of your words and think that looks s**t or that looks good and then that's distracting to the actual thought. though i guess not coz you said it flies by. also i think real comprehension has to end up being some kind of visual or sense because words are just codes for reality and logic only helps understand connections between real things which ultimately ends up as one real whatever (thing, process etc).

i guess what you mean by following directions is in school when you have they tell you what to do for the tasks

perhaps you think in still static images as that to me is what i imagine the permanent and not permanent items meaning. like there's an image of the room and then those stand out items that are always there in that position.

I get an experience, lets call it "Mnenonic Overload" (Vs. Sensory Overload) - so like unique things to that place rather than all the usual many things you may see?

I have thousands of songs in my head. I pretty much always have one running through my head. - idk if you're female but a mum on a dyslexia forum talking about her dyslexic child said like ' i think in words, i feel in music' and also said she has a constant song running through their head. i wonder if it's a female thing for some reason just coz i probably have a subconcious view (ie a view i've had from thinking all throughout my life but don't really know if is true or right now) that girls don't think as much in terms of like ambition or focus on video games they have a more like peaceful doing hair and make up and stuff and looking at clothes so you would have a tune to make it a bit more like interesting lol. right now i'm in a kind of visual mode i'm mouthing the words as i write them and as i have the thoughts without trying to think up an image for the words i'll just notice myself seeing a faint image like i saw an image of a girl in a pink room sitting in front of a mirror and another static image her lying by the bed.

this is a weird thing i noticed when i'm in the no thought excited state just taking in information of the sensory kind i'm out walking and i'll ook in the sky or on the beach to the horizon and i notice i'm looking at a picture my gaze is in one place and my 'screen' is just still i'm just entranced by some beauty and it's like just a still picture or even if there's moving stuff in the picture i don't focus in on it it's just part of the whole picture which isn't moving as i'm perfectly still, relaxed yet excited looking straight ahead. i'm literally seeing a picture rather than my eyes detecting specific objects or parts of the surroundings. it's like instead i'm aware of my vision coming from my eyes where i'm standing or sitting or walking etc - i care about the visual rather than what i can actually identify i'm seeing (all of on an subconcious level i'm guessing obviously i'm not looking at like stones on the pavement and thinking 'that's a stone' or whatever).

the interesting stuff about this is that it literally explains people's surface behaviours. i know like 10 years ago (i'm 20) when i first saw a very classic autistic person (being a child i probably felt their inner workings just by seeing them which i'm crap at now) i just thought nothing more of it to be honest i just thought like they're crazy.. but now i realise it's actually that different people have different thought styles and because thought styles affects how you brain is operating it also affects your perception. and that leads me onto the great thing about this is that for me if i mental sense like see stuff that isn't from my memory but that i just somehow create based on 'meaning' then eventually a) i get real nice feelings that Are the images/whatever sensory information, and then i become excited and in the moment and then real sensations i'm like 'i can't wait to see what's there in a video, or just around me in my same room' and then all those visuals give me a feeling and also faces of people i get the vicarious experience. because i'm not sure if neurotypicals personify objects but apparently they do vicariously feel what others feel by their body language. also to anyone who experiences other peoples experience ie emotion just by lookign at them for a split second do you also get those feelings from looking at objects which start to become personified. like shortly recently in the excited mode i found myself looking at stuff on my sink my lotion thing lined up and shaving brush and like the lotion head which you press down to get it onto your hand was a head to me and like it had shoulders also and the brush well that was like his head and face was the brush part and his body was the lower part and he had an 'eager' expression lol. whereas the robotic lotion was looking dead ahead and standing upright still posture. and whilst looking at it i was distinctly aware (just because i've made learning thinking styles a hobby) that i wasn't any thought i was simply taking in visual information and getting a feeling. put it this way if my eyes tracking was being recorded i'm sure that they wouldn't have deviated anywhere but on those two objects for like 3 minutes non stop. i know i've written a lot - don't judge.

madnak
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Nov 2012, 4:01 am

My inner world? I couldn't possibly verbalize that.

LearningTime
Raven
Raven

20 Nov 2012, 11:52 am

madnak wrote:
My inner world? I couldn't possibly verbalize that.

do you mean you can say no more about anything to do with it than the 8 words you just wrote? i mean i don't even know what inner worlds are how they work etc not asking for the specifics.

JRR
Toucan
Toucan

20 Nov 2012, 12:07 pm

androbot2084 wrote:
Do you see 4 dimensions?

I can see in four dimensions (from computer renderings), although if there are more than three physical ones, they're not visible to us.

Then again, I have Asperger's, not classical Autism.