Being a social misfit at school/college/uni

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

binaryodes
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2014, 1:05 pm

I guess weve all been here. Its time to do groupwork and noone wants to work with you :lol: its not a massive problem and its not unexpected but of course your final grade will hinge on how you work within a group and how well the group presentation/performance goes. Awesome.

How do you guys deal with the whole group work situation and has anyone outright failed due to this

This is also directed at those who are affected by it. I personally find that it hurts when taken together with everything else, but as a singular thing its irrelevant just annoying. How do you deal with your sense of rejection

Last edited by binaryodes on 25 Apr 2014, 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LittlePigLocksmith
Raven
Raven

25 Apr 2014, 1:40 pm

In all of my classes, I tell the instructor that I'd rather just do group projects on my own. Usually, they allow it. After all, the purpose of school isn't to make friends. It's to keep you busy, dumbed down and (in higher education) put you into debt that can be used to manipulate you for years. However, I'm about to start six weeks of mandatory "team building exercises" and I don't know how I'm going to cope. I talked with the school counselor about it and she's basically just said that I'm going to have to do it, but I can excuse myself from class for a couple minutes if I find it really overwhelming. I don't see how that would help though.

I have an exceptionally good relationsip with a couple of administrators and I'm considering exploiting that to get some kind of special treatment, but I'm worried that might hurt the relationship.

I've only ever failed one class due to that kind of social crap and it was Spannish I. You're always getting paired up with people in that class and I had exceptionally poor relationships with a lot of people there so I ended up skipping class so much that they just automatically failed me. In fact, that social aspect has been the determining factor in my grades for as long as I can remember. I consistantly get As in classes with people that I enjoy spending time with (or at least don't mind), but if there's some kind of social issue, it can distract me from my work or (in extreme cases) prevent me from going to school.

Onoma
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Apr 2014, 2:31 pm

Well when it comes to group work usually I WAS picked, especially at college, though I didn't fair so well at the end people recognised me as intelligent and wanted to boost their grades. Even so group work sucks, one group I ended up in some clique full of girls who had no sense and backed each other up, known each other from HS and it was a terrible experience. The other times I was the group leader, thus I had to organise everything and take the speaking roles and do a lot more work, even had to investigate a girl who never turned up, everyone wanted me to kick her out the group but turns out she was unexpectedly pregnant and having complications at the hospital often and I am so glad I listened to my gut feeling and let her explain herself. I would never have kicked her out on that premise.

Really, I see your 23, I know everyone is different but at 23 I really didn't give a flying (insert words here) about what anyone thought about me anymore. Don't bat an eyelid at rejection anymore, most people are not worth it and I bet you have a whole bunch of qualities that make you awesome.