Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

rhubarbpluscustard
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jan 2007, 7:37 am

I find that I think best when I'm walking around. If I'm trying to memorise something or to work out an idea I'll pace in circles in the middle of the floor. Is this an aspie thing?

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2007, 7:46 am

I think it's more of an attention thing.

I have a terrible attention span, and I pace like a caged lion.

chadders
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jan 2007, 8:29 am

I pace a lot. Usually when I'm on the phone or stressed.

That's my two pence worth.

Davidufo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jan 2007, 8:54 am

I think it helps the thinking process.

http://www.wrongplanet.net/modules.php? ... highlight=

My thinking is better when I'm wandering around and relaxed.

Kosmonaut
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2007, 8:55 am

I pace for no reason.

Revenant
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2007, 9:03 am

I do it when I think. Its probably hereditary or an aspect of AS as my father does it a lot too. He seems pretty autistic in everything he does so I wouldn't be surprised if he has AS as well.

bamc1130
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Jan 2007, 10:23 am

I do that all the time at work too

jman
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2007, 10:31 am

heh pacing should be my middle name everyone always wants to know why I pace so much and just can't sit down.

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2007, 10:36 am

I pace alot, I think its sorta a form of long range stimming if that makes any sense.

Vote for me in 2020 :-D

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2007, 11:50 am

I used to pace before I started taking anti-depressants. It's one of the things I don't care for about AD drugs. Used to be when I'd get antsy and start pacing, I knew I needed to get out and go for a walk.

There is a walking meditation that I like for problem solving. Go for a walk aand just let your mind wander where it will. Periodically make note of where your mind has wandered. Often, the solution to a problem that's been bothering you will suddenly manifest. EURIKA!

- Emerson

DanRyder
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Jan 2007, 12:22 pm

I actually find it hard to stand still. Infact, if i am just standing and talking i end up pacing on the spot.

ixochiyo_yohuallan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2007, 1:33 pm

rhubarbpluscustard wrote:
I find that I think best when I'm walking around. If I'm trying to memorise something or to work out an idea I'll pace in circles in the middle of the floor. Is this an aspie thing?

Same here. I think better when I'm walking or moving in some other way - not necessarily in circles, it only matters that I stay in motion. Otherwise my thoughts sort of become still, and I space out a lot more. Plus I'm often hyper and restless and my attention is all over the place, so I need to be doing *some* sort of something.

I probably pace to the same extent as many other people on the spectrum flap their hands.

parts
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2007, 1:49 pm

I really only pace when I am agitated or very stressed the phone does both to me so that is usually when I pace

daisydiana
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Jan 2007, 7:33 pm

my son is an 8 year old aspie and he paces when he is engaging in a really interesting topic well interesting to him he paces back and forth until he is finished.

biostructure
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2007, 7:46 pm

rhubarbpluscustard wrote:

Absolutely. I do this ALL the time, especially when listening to music. I feel sort of "trapped" when I'm in a room where I can't walk around.

Also, when I was in high school I was in the running club for a semester for PE, and so once or twice a week I would go jogging with other people from my school. I very quickly got to the point where my running speed and mode of thinking were coupled to each other. If I would start running slower because I was tired, or faster because I caught my breath, my thoughts would change, and conversely when I reached a turning point in my thoughts (for instance the solution to a problem dawned on me), I would have a burst of speed. It was a kind of feedback mechanism. I generally don't jog, but I know if I did this would happen again.

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2007, 7:53 pm

Definately! I'm always walking about whenever I'm thinking about something deeply, unless I'm lying down on a bed.