Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

RTSgamerFTW
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2007, 11:33 pm

And its brain surgery,think about it,AS brains are "wired" differently from NT brains,and if the AS brains are rewired,then they become NT brains if rewired correctly.

I don't mean "rewired" as in rewiring,i think you know what i mean.

If that ain't it,THEN THERE IS NO CURE!! !! !

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2007, 11:36 pm

um... im not goin first!! !

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

RTSgamerFTW
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2007, 11:39 pm

Sedaka wrote:
um... im not goin first!! !

None of us are!! !! ! i'll PWN anyone who DOES GO FOR THE CURE!! !! !

nutbag
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2007, 11:53 pm

And I'll be happy to assist in that!

Could we instead reverse engineer the poor deprived NTs to finally be human?

RTSgamerFTW
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2007, 12:35 am

nutbag wrote:
Could we instead reverse engineer the poor deprived NTs to finally be human?

We most likely could,yes.

ahayes
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2007, 1:40 am

The brain can re-wire itself in case of damage, but I don't think you could do it manually. There have been cat scans of people who were hit on the head showing how some of the neural circutry had been completely rerouted when they finally came out of their coma. If you could somehow re-wire a brain, it would probably involve damaging certain parts to stimulate the creation of alternate circutry.

RedMage
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2007, 2:01 am

We don't need a cure. :twisted:

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2007, 2:47 am

And besides, re-wiring the brain, if done surgically, would be an extremely delicate procedure, and could be deadly if done wrong.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2007, 6:51 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
And besides, re-wiring the brain, if done surgically, would be an extremely delicate procedure, and could be deadly if done wrong.

Tim

Let's just BUILD a new brain, and put it in! It would be a LOT easier!

Steve

en_una_isla
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2007, 8:41 am

What about implants, like the borg?

copernilol
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

31 Jan 2007, 8:46 am

Tim_Tex wrote:

Tim
All to be "normal".
I think I'm right.

Beenthere
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2007, 9:42 am

Let's implant a chip in some of the people that cause us grief instead.

Something when they start calling us names or teasing us for being "crazy"...it would give them a little "jolt" maybe like a pacemaker...a hi-tech behavior modification system. :D

Arch101
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Feb 2007, 9:51 pm

When I was a kid, my favorite movie was "Charly". Oh, how I wished I could get an operation like that so that so that I could finally be as smart as I knew I was. I sill have a soft spot for that film. Funny, where I grew up, the other kids treated me just as Charly was treated by others before his operation, so I could relate. I'm still wishing for such a surgical process today, however sci-fi it may be.

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2007, 9:55 pm

LOL

You can't rewire the brain using surgery.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2007, 10:29 pm

Arch101 wrote:
When I was a kid, my favorite movie was "Charly". Oh, how I wished I could get an operation like that so that so that I could finally be as smart as I knew I was. I sill have a soft spot for that film. Funny, where I grew up, the other kids treated me just as Charly was treated by others before his operation, so I could relate. I'm still wishing for such a surgical process today, however sci-fi it may be.

Charly was stupid, and didn't understand a lot of the jokes, etc... AS people are not that bad off. Charly DIED because of the operation.(The original title was Flowers for algernon. Algernon was the name of the mouse that first had the operation and encouraged charly to go for it. Flowers refers to flowers for his funeral.) AS people don't die early. HIS problem was REAL. AS are just DIFFERENT.

We COULD always damage the social center of NTs! The success rate would be higher, and maybe some of them could become like psuedo ASs! The brain WOULD remap, and might remap like AS people. Granted, there would be some failures, but fewer than the other way.

Steve

Steve

CelticGoddess
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2007, 10:34 pm

I went to the bi-annual International Autism Symposium in Toronto in October. One of the sessions that I spoke to was hosted by a doctor who leads one of the research teams trying to discover/figure out/make sense of autism. (Little known fact: There are only 3 labs in the entire world that dedicate their research to Autism) and he was talking about groundbreaking discoveries in Autism Research. They did autopsies on the brains of children (ages 2-13) both Autistic and NT and now have a much better understanding of how the autistic mind works. The problem in years past is that they could tell a lot about how an autistic brain functions in an adult through an MRI, but seeing it in a child would tell them more. The problem is you can't really get an NT kid, let alone an AS kid to lay perfectly still for that long to do the scan. So parents who lost their children (ironically every single autistic brain that was donated to the research...all of the kids died by drowning) donated their children's brains to the labs. (This is beginning to sound creepy). So they were able to see that the amygdala (which is in the centre of the brain) is relatively the same size of their NT peers. But the number of connections from the amygdala to the other parts of the brain were definitely fewer.

They talked about how when a future autistic child is born, their brain size is the same as their NT peers. But by 4 mos, their head circumference goes jumps and by ages 2-3 years old you can see that the forehead is much larger than NT's. It's because the frontal lobe cortex grows faster than any other part of the brain, but it's filled with excess matter. So by the time the child is 6, the brain, realizing it's too big releases something called micro-glia which eats away at the excess matter to bring the child's brain size down to normal. The problem is that the microglia (which is not found in NT children, but it is found in adults with alzheimers) creates a neurotoxin environment and can eat away at valuable matter, causing the child to lose skills they once had. So essentially the child goes through a degenerative state. They regain the information but they have to learn it all over again.

Anyway, I thought that was fascinating. Because this lab in particular is able to approach autism research in a new way, they're hoping to find the cause and maybe one day the cure.