Page 1 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2013, 11:10 am

What is the most useless advice you have received?

Me? Go out and talk to people.

Does not work at all when it comes to helping you to make friends. It only helps if you want to have 50 conversations a week about the weather.

Opi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Sep 2013, 11:16 am

"just be yourself" (has taken me nearly half a century to even begin to figure out who that is)

to just keep putting myself into situations where i'm uncomfortable, until i'm not: "push through it"
(25 years of trying never worked)

24 - HSP / ADD Quiz- 41, Inattention: 24, Hyperactive/Impulsive: 17
"Odd and different is beautiful" -- Tyra Banks

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2013, 11:20 am

"Be yourself" - Whenever I've tried to do that, they tell me that I'm acting just like someone else (i.e., father, teacher, actor, et cetera).

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Stripeycat
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Sep 2013, 11:31 am

'Join clubs/societies to meet people with similar interests and make friends.' I kept on trying this for years and it never worked.

'You need to learn to trust people again.' - after being too trusting led to me making terrible decisions.

Rigor
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Sep 2013, 11:40 am

"Be positive."

Epsilon
Toucan
Toucan

29 Sep 2013, 11:58 am

"There's always someone worse off than you."

TM1337FalconPunch
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Sep 2013, 12:04 pm

sagely advice of my dad- "don't bother with 'so and so', they're not as smart as you"...yeah, people he said that about generally ended up being the few people who's intellect I respect. He held the idea that IQ the definitive way to gauge intelligence, so anyone not on my IQ level was not good enough for me to spend time around.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2013, 1:15 pm

When I am about to have a meltdown, "Just breathe." I find that most infuriating and extremely counterproductive.

Wreck It Ralph

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2013, 1:16 pm

skibum wrote:
When I am about to have a meltdown, "Just breathe." I find that most infuriating and extremely counterproductive.

I've had that one. Doesn't really work does it?

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2013, 1:25 pm

"Just be yourself."

Right. I haven't been myself in social contexts in so long I've forgotten what my own self looks like.

I'm purposefully phony to fit in.

"Just be yourself" would be an awkward, quirky person who uses lots of left-of-center quotes and terms to make his point.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2013, 1:30 pm

bumble wrote:
skibum wrote:

OMGosh, not only does it not work but it actually makes it worse. I know I have to breathe. I don't need them to tell me that and I feel like it's extremely condescending especially when it comes from people who have never had a meltdown in their lives.

Another great one, "Just get over it." I've been told this a lot when I react to Misophonic triggers apparently again from people who have no clue what the heck they are saying when they say something like that.

I also hate it when people tell me to buck up. Sometimes I feel like my entire life is bucking up. If I didn't and they truly saw the extend of how I feel a lot of the times, they would know that the times I can't buck up I really can't and if I could I would.

Wreck It Ralph

Last edited by skibum on 29 Sep 2013, 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Opi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Sep 2013, 1:31 pm

bumble wrote:
skibum wrote:

it does work for me. but hearing it from someone else could be the equivalent of "calm down" which i generally do find makes it worse.

24 - HSP / ADD Quiz- 41, Inattention: 24, Hyperactive/Impulsive: 17
"Odd and different is beautiful" -- Tyra Banks

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2013, 1:34 pm

Opi wrote:
bumble wrote:
skibum wrote:

it does work for me. but hearing it from someone else could be the equivalent of "calm down" which i generally do find makes it worse.
I agree. The breathing part helps. Hearing it from someone who has no idea what a meltdown is as if that person thinks that I don't know that I should breathe, makes me want to scream!!

Wreck It Ralph

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2013, 1:37 pm

To be honest I can't ever remember anyone giving me any advice (or maybe I just wasn't listening), and by the same token I'm not usually that eager to hand out advice.

So it works both ways I suppose.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2013, 3:17 pm

"just do it" - "imitate/emulate successful people-" see youtube vid below to see what I mean-
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLgJWaDYPc8[/youtube]
the only thing missing from his routine was, he shoulda had the last passerby say "gesundheit!"

UndeadToaster
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Sep 2013, 5:40 pm

"just let yourself go" - People can't seem to comprehend that being difficult. I don't even know what it's like to be myself completely.
I feel like most of these will begin with "just..."