Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

ToShinTim
Raven
Raven

10 Oct 2013, 3:23 pm

Is that really a thing? If not, I think it defines some things.
This picture pretty much says it all.

http://funtooo.com/wp-content/uploads/2 ... so-far.jpg

It describes my sense of humor, in a way as well. I hardly ever have any sort of "humorous" statement that gives off a positive feeling. That being said, my jokes are usually dark, and sometimes sadistic. I honestly don't care about that, though it's not to the point of people not wanting to be around me. Not that I know of, anyways.

And then there's this one.

http://i.imgur.com/i9rfOMr.jpg

Any thoughts on either one?

LogicalMolly
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Oct 2013, 3:25 pm

Isn't that an oxymoron? :? How can such a thing exist?

ToShinTim
Raven
Raven

10 Oct 2013, 3:42 pm

Quote:
Isn't that an oxymoron? Confused How can such a thing exist?

Which is what I'm asking. What would you call the first picture link? In relation to the original topic, of course.

ParaSait
Raven
Raven

10 Oct 2013, 4:01 pm

ToShinTim wrote:

Lol.
My relate-o-meter goes BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2013, 4:47 pm

ToShinTim wrote:

Which is what I'm asking. What would you call the first picture link? In relation to the original topic, of course.

There's nothing optimistic about the first picture. It's making fun of pain by reminding us that, as long as we're still alive, things can get worse.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2013, 6:26 pm

Pessimistic Optimism is hoping for the best, but knowing better than to expect it.

ToShinTim
Raven
Raven

10 Oct 2013, 7:26 pm

Quote:
There's nothing optimistic about the first picture. It's making fun of pain by reminding us that, as long as we're still alive, things can get worse.

Possibly, though is Homer (the father) not agreeing/consoling Bart (his son) with the idea of having the worst day ever, and being optimistic about how things are okay so far but (now the pessimism) things might get worse too? I've liked this scene/picture for some time

Quote:
pessimistic Optimism is hoping for the best, but knowing better than to expect it.

then what, would you say, optimistic pessimism is?

ToShinTim
Raven
Raven

Quote:

Possibly, though is Homer (the father) not agreeing/consoling Bart (his son) with the idea of having the worst day ever, and being optimistic about how things are okay so far but (now the pessimism) things might get worse too? I've liked this scene/picture for some time

Quote:
pessimistic Optimism is hoping for the best, but knowing better than to expect it.

ToShinTim
Raven
Raven

Quote:

Quote:

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2013, 7:34 pm

Willard wrote:
Pessimistic Optimism is hoping for the best, but knowing better than to expect it.

This is an excellent summary, and my basic outlook.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2013, 7:39 pm

ToShinTim wrote:

I don't recall ever having seen this episode, but, knowing the cartoon and Homer's character (he's a moron), he's most likely trying to console Bart, but failing to do so by inadvertently telling him that there may be worse days ahead.

ToShinTim
Raven
Raven

10 Oct 2013, 7:43 pm

Quote:
don't recall ever having seen this episode, but, knowing the cartoon and Homer's character (he's a moron), he's most likely trying to console Bart, but failing to do so by inadvertently telling him that there may be worse days ahead.

neither do I, really, but this leads back to the title of the thread. What sort of emotional standpoint is Homer giving off? It isn't really optimistic is it? Then again, is it pessimistic? I don't think it's either.