Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

fibonaccispiral777
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Oct 2013, 4:25 pm

Did anyone have an intense interest with these as a child? As a youngster, I would spend hours going through my collection and swapping them at school before they decided to ban them. Riachu was my favorite card and I once had a five hour tantrum because my parents refused to buy a shiny card for me, which was three magnets together. Anyone, was wandering if anyone had a burning obsession for Pokemon cards as a child? Not only the cards, but the games as well. I had Pokemon yellow and it was highly frustrating trying to kill Brock's pokemon considering you only had a pikachu and electric never beat rock as well as a metapod level seven that could do nothing but use harden :lol: Anyway, yeah, thought I would share some nineties nostalgia. It is also interesting to note that apparently the creator of pokemon apparently has aspergers or is autistic. I don't know if that is true or just a rumor but it is a compelling fact regardless. :)

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2013, 4:49 pm

I never had an intense interest in Pokemon cards, but I did manage to swindle some good cards out of the popular kids by trading Mew promo cards for all the good stuff. This one kid came up to me later and told me I was an Indian giver. He hated me all through high school too. I really got him good, because he gave me a holographic Flareon and Zapdos, among others. My cousin always beat me with his fake Charizard. He never wanted to admit that fake cards don't count LOL

WerewolfPoet
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2013, 5:36 pm

I did collect a few Pokemon cards, though my main TCG obsession as a child was Yu-Gi-Oh!
The Pokemon video games, however, did capture quite a bit of my attention and time; I beat Ruby Red once and would sometimes go into tantrums when I was forced to put the game down. :lol:

Many internet sources seem to indicate that Satoshi Tajuri has officially diagnosed Asperger's Syndrome.

coffeebean
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2013, 6:36 pm

I was one of the few children I knew of in school who knew how to play the game. Most just collected the cards.

MU
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Oct 2013, 7:58 pm

I used to collect those. I still have a bunch of early insignificant ones in a drawer somewhere, but in the arrival of Pokemon TCG, I earnestly wanted all of them. I remember the excitement of opening a booster pack and seeing a gleaming holographic card. The mall once had some sort of trading day at the hobby store, and I got jealous of the little kid in front of me with a binder with every card in order inside. I guess both having other games to play and not knowing anyone with Pokemon TCG had caused me to quit. Today I have zero interest in the cards, but as for the game boy game, I'm almost through X version.

windtreeman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Oct 2013, 1:21 am

Heck yeah, I was a Pokemon nut. I got into it about a year later than most of my classmates, but once I did, my collection quickly eclipsed everyone else. I have the complete original set, many of which are 1st edition (though not Charizard, sadly :/) and all are in superb condition. I was so anal about the condition of the cards. I remember everyone bringing them to school to trade, but I couldn't stand other people touching mine, so I never traded card for card, but rather, cupcakes or whatever else I brought in my lunch, ha. Actually, Raichu is my favorite as well. Anyway, once in a long while I'll peruse the binder and despite their somewhat reduced value to both others and myself, the nostalgia is easily worth the original cost.

steve30
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Oct 2013, 1:34 am

Back around 1999/2000, people used to be in their little groups in the playground swapping Pokemon cards. :lol:

I was never the slightest bit interested.

fibonaccispiral777
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Oct 2013, 5:12 am

coffeebean wrote:
I was one of the few children I knew of in school who knew how to play the game. Most just collected the cards.

Haha, so true...Yeah, I had a game with my dad once...It was quite good actually :)

coffeebean
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2013, 8:25 am

fibonaccispiral777 wrote:
coffeebean wrote:

Haha, so true...Yeah, I had a game with my dad once...It was quite good actually :)

Lucky. My parents were totally lost when I tried to teach them. :lol:

fibonaccispiral777
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Oct 2013, 9:27 am

coffeebean wrote:
fibonaccispiral777 wrote:
coffeebean wrote:

Lucky. My parents were totally lost when I tried to teach them. :lol:

Haha, that's really funny. It was quite complicated though, remember my dad getting really confused and quite angry at one point. :lol:

Simmian7
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2013, 9:41 am

i bought the cards...even a few japanese ones. i played nearly every game made. i still play the pokemon games. and i still watch the anime and the movies....

It's like someone's calling out to me. Writing it all down...it's like I'm calling back to them.
(quote from August Rush; but used as a reference to my writing)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
My ASD AQ score is 42
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
#DemandCartoonDiversity

fibonaccispiral777
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Oct 2013, 10:28 am

Simmian7 wrote:
i bought the cards...even a few japanese ones. i played nearly every game made. i still play the pokemon games. and i still watch the anime and the movies....

Ah sweet :D Yeah the movies were really good actually, especially the first one they made about mew and mewtwo when they were giving out shiny promo cards at the cinema. I really wanted to do my film studies thesis on how that movie was symbolic of the scientific dangers of genetic engineering. Is it still on television? Digimon was quite good also.

MindBlind
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2013, 12:21 pm

I still have my pokemon card collection. I don't play them anymore (and yes, you can still play old cards - just not at official events). Every so often I'll buy a pack to feel nostalgic and to justify my hoarding habits. I don't think I know anyone who grew up in the 90's you didn't have pokemon cards, honestly.