Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

serenaserenaserena
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Jul 2013
Age: 19
Gender: Female
Posts: 567
Location: Sinnoh Region, Pokémon World

26 Oct 2013, 8:19 pm

Is it rather typical of aspies to experience the following? Do you experience happenings like these?
-There are times in which I can feel a sound banging against my eardrum and traveling through my entire body. I feel the sound through my body. It feels very strange.
-There are times in which once I begin to hear a random background sound somewhere, I am suddenly unable to ignore it, and I have to cover my ears, be extremely irritated, and eventually I begin to rock back and forth, or I just fold up my legs and pull them in.
-There are some things that I feel that if they touch my arm or something, I begin to feel a strange feeling through the rest of my arm, even if it is not touching there.
-There are some (more rare) times that when something touches a particular spot on my arm, I can feel it go to my spine.
This one here isn't exactly sensory input related, but it's another strange feeling:
Sometimes, when I am feeling some random emotion that I seriously cannot identify, I can feel a bizarre pressure sensation in me that makes me want to squeeze myself and push against walls. I also cannot identify the emotion that comes along with it.


_________________
aspie score: 166 out of 200
officially diagnosed in 2013
any pronouns i don't give a heck

Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional.


Willard
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Mar 2008
Age: 61
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,647

26 Oct 2013, 8:33 pm

serenaserenaserena wrote:
-There are times in which once I begin to hear a random background sound somewhere, I am suddenly unable to ignore it


This happens to me very frequently. I went with my Dad and brother-in-law to pick up a refrigerator a few weeks ago and we had to wait for someone else to arrive and unlock a door. While we stood outside, they were making small talk about whatever and I began to hear this hi-pitched electronic warbling noise coming from down the street. At first I thought it was a cell phone ringing, but it just went on and on and on, long after a cell phone would have gone to voice mail.

Of course, when I asked both of them what they thought it was, they didn't even hear it. But I couldn't un-hear it and it didn't stop. The noise went on intermittently the whole time we were there and I could never place exactly where it was coming from, much less what it was, but it was faint and far away, like at least half a block, maybe more. It just drove me crazy because it was unidentifiable and it wouldn't quit.



serenaserenaserena
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Jul 2013
Age: 19
Gender: Female
Posts: 567
Location: Sinnoh Region, Pokémon World

26 Oct 2013, 8:40 pm

Willard wrote:
I went with my Dad and brother-in-law to pick up a refrigerator a few weeks ago and we had to wait for someone else to arrive and unlock a door. While we stood outside, they were making small talk about whatever and I began to hear this hi-pitched electronic warbling noise coming from down the street. At first I thought it was a cell phone ringing, but it just went on and on and on, long after a cell phone would have gone to voice mail.

Of course, when I asked both of them what they thought it was, they didn't even hear it. But I couldn't un-hear it and it didn't stop. The noise went on intermittently the whole time we were there and I could never place exactly where it was coming from, much less what it was, but it was faint and far away, like at least half a block, maybe more. It just drove me crazy because it was unidentifiable and it wouldn't quit.


When something like that happens, and I am the only one who notices it, I freak out a little bit. During end of the year testing at school, I always begin to hear the clock ticking, and then I sometimes don't even finish my work, because I am too busy being irritated, but that was a long time ago. Now, I usually still finish, but my thinking is very, very, very distracted by the clock ticking. The same thing happens from the air conditioning.
I can't even sleep with a wrist watch ticking in my room. There was a wristwatch on the opposite side of my entire bedroom that was ticking in the middle of the night, and when I finally got up out of bed to find it, I threw it down the hallway, far away from my room, and I was FINALLY able to sleep.


_________________
aspie score: 166 out of 200
officially diagnosed in 2013
any pronouns i don't give a heck

Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional.


loosewheel
Raven
Raven

User avatar

Joined: 20 Oct 2013
Age: 55
Gender: Male
Posts: 119
Location: Australia

26 Oct 2013, 9:07 pm

I am sensitive to some sounds and frequencies. The sounds are there but are so low that others don't usually notice them until I ask them. A loud sharp sound can send a pulse through my body, or feel like a smack in the head without the physical impact. I've had hearing loss and tinnitus for about 15 years. Ironically the constant sound that I hear doesn't bother me very much. Lucky really, it would be hell if it did.



RichardJ
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Jul 2013
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Posts: 536
Location: USA

26 Oct 2013, 9:19 pm

Willard wrote:
serenaserenaserena wrote:
-There are times in which once I begin to hear a random background sound somewhere, I am suddenly unable to ignore it


This happens to me very frequently. I went with my Dad and brother-in-law to pick up a refrigerator a few weeks ago and we had to wait for someone else to arrive and unlock a door. While we stood outside, they were making small talk about whatever and I began to hear this hi-pitched electronic warbling noise coming from down the street. At first I thought it was a cell phone ringing, but it just went on and on and on, long after a cell phone would have gone to voice mail.

Of course, when I asked both of them what they thought it was, they didn't even hear it. But I couldn't un-hear it and it didn't stop. The noise went on intermittently the whole time we were there and I could never place exactly where it was coming from, much less what it was, but it was faint and far away, like at least half a block, maybe more. It just drove me crazy because it was unidentifiable and it wouldn't quit.




I have always noticed the high pitched noise thea comes from a CRT TV (tube TV).



serenaserenaserena
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Jul 2013
Age: 19
Gender: Female
Posts: 567
Location: Sinnoh Region, Pokémon World

26 Oct 2013, 9:22 pm

loosewheel wrote:
I've had hearing loss and tinnitus for about 15 years. Ironically the constant sound that I hear doesn't bother me very much. Lucky really, it would be hell if it did.


I have tinnitus as well. I have had it for as long as I can remember, and I'm only 13. I am really scared that I am going to become deaf one day. Tinnitus doesn't bother me much either, which is a huge relief. My sister has it, and she's 20 year older than me, and she's not deaf, so that makes me a little less worried.

Also, I just noticed that we joined WP on the same day.


_________________
aspie score: 166 out of 200
officially diagnosed in 2013
any pronouns i don't give a heck

Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional.


Willard
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Mar 2008
Age: 61
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,647

27 Oct 2013, 4:31 pm

serenaserenaserena wrote:
When something like that happens, and I am the only one who notices it, I freak out a little bit.


I've gotten used to it over the years. One of the Autistic symptoms in the DSM is "may see lights or hear sounds that others do not."

When your sensory processing filters are screwed up, you're bound to notice sensory phenomena that NT brains automatically filter out as irrelevant.

As RichardJ notes, the cathode exciter inside old-fashioned CRT television sets (especially the black and white type that used vacuum tubes instead of transistors) made a tiny, high-pitched squealing sound that I could hear even when the volume control was turned all the way down. I always assumed everybody heard that, but when I mentioned it in a group one day, they all looked at me like I was insane.