Page 3 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2013, 7:58 pm

IreneS wrote:
This is interesting, and I did have Asperger´s as an special interest for a brief period of time (maybe 2 months) before I got diagnosed. It had it´s function though; I made research for my paper "Why I think I have Asperger´s/HFA" that I send to the psychiatrist (who was an expert in autism, but I didn´t know that then) so they wouldn´t misdiagnose me, haha. Now I don´t think about it as a special interest being on the forum because it´s too mild of an interest. But I could be wrong, of course.

When I was either almost 12 or just turned 12 a substitute teacher at my school finally picked up on the symptoms I had been displaying as they reminded her of a book about Aspergers a friend of hers had (I was severely bullied throughout primary school, taken to several professionals, but nobody figured out what was going on - AS was not as well known those days). After that I read the entire book plus doing all the tests it contained in about 2 hours (I was a precocious reader from a very young age as reading was my special interest) and self diagnosed myself with it before being taken to a professional.

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2013, 7:58 pm

IreneS wrote:
This is interesting, and I did have Asperger´s as an special interest for a brief period of time (maybe 2 months) before I got diagnosed. It had it´s function though; I made research for my paper "Why I think I have Asperger´s/HFA" that I send to the psychiatrist (who was an expert in autism, but I didn´t know that then) so they wouldn´t misdiagnose me, haha. Now I don´t think about it as a special interest being on the forum because it´s too mild of an interest. But I could be wrong, of course.

When I was either almost 12 or just turned 12 a substitute teacher at my school finally picked up on the symptoms I had been displaying as they reminded her of a book about Aspergers a friend of hers had (I was severely bullied throughout primary school, taken to several professionals, but nobody figured out what was going on - AS was not as well known those days). After that I read the entire book plus doing all the tests it contained in about 2 hours (I was a precocious reader from a very young age as reading was my special interest) and self diagnosed myself with it before being taken to a professional.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2013, 11:04 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:
I do this a lot as well. It's gotten so bad at one point that I had to cut down the hours that I post here. I've found Swagbucks to fill that void and I get outside and do a lot of walking as well. I actually had a dream that I woke up in 1965 and I went on a device that had a typewriter and a small TV with the rounded screen that TVs had back in the day and I logged onto WP and started typing. I was one of the few members who had an avatar because the images of most of the avatars weren't around in the Mid 60s.

Internet was not around either back then and computers were room size so only big cooperations had them.

Actually, the Internet as we know it today didn't exist in the 1960s, though the history of the Internet did begin in the 1950s with the development of the first electronic computers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Internet

I also spend a lot of time fantasizing about what personal computers and the Internet would have been like if they were around in the 60s.

Off Topic to the thread but related to the above
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siaoabrXeOQ[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqD9OCa8ywQ[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSxEm8LGWuA[/youtube]

The people that did this have to be aspies so if are a member here they cn do Wrong Planet in the 1980s

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2013, 11:05 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:
I do this a lot as well. It's gotten so bad at one point that I had to cut down the hours that I post here. I've found Swagbucks to fill that void and I get outside and do a lot of walking as well. I actually had a dream that I woke up in 1965 and I went on a device that had a typewriter and a small TV with the rounded screen that TVs had back in the day and I logged onto WP and started typing. I was one of the few members who had an avatar because the images of most of the avatars weren't around in the Mid 60s.

Internet was not around either back then and computers were room size so only big cooperations had them.

Actually, the Internet as we know it today didn't exist in the 1960s, though the history of the Internet did begin in the 1950s with the development of the first electronic computers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Internet

I also spend a lot of time fantasizing about what personal computers and the Internet would have been like if they were around in the 60s.

Off Topic to the thread but related to the above
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siaoabrXeOQ[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqD9OCa8ywQ[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSxEm8LGWuA[/youtube]

The people who thought this up had to be on the spectrum so if they are members here wrong planet in the 80's could be fun

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2013, 1:52 am

Time travel is one of my special interests, so I also agree that it would have been fun to be on WP in the 80s. :)

Back on topic, I've also had my ebbs and flows on WP. I was very interested when I joined in the Summer of 2004. My interest waned for two months in 2007. I was interested again in 2009 when I decided to come back full time. My interest waned again late last summer in August and I'm making an effort to get back into WP. I stay for the people who like me and I feel that I still have a lot to learn from the many different types of members here. My avatars also act as a window into my world and matrix. :)

IreneS
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Oct 2013, 11:50 am

TreeShadow wrote:
I have participated in other online forums, one for almost a decade now, and I go through periods of obsession and then backing off. At the beginning, it is very easy to become obsessed because there are so many past threads for you to catch up on. Especially here, there are a lot of interesting forums, so I can spend hours reading through the recent posts in them. However, once you have "caught up," there won't be as many new posts for you to read on a daily basis, so you may find yourself visiting less often.

I don´t think I´ll ever catch up with every thread that´s here. I see new ones are being posted or revived all the time and I don´t spend too much time here. When I said I was obsessing about WP it was to a large degree just the mental presence here and not as much actually being here I thought about. But I see that wearing off already.