Page 9 of 9 [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Asperger96
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2013, 7:10 am

legomyego wrote:
be quite and maybe ya learn something, learn from your elders- don't burn them. unless they are complete idiots....but these are not so mind your elders.

heard some garbage on the news....some dumb young kid talkin or textin on his phone got run over... ya real smart ya kids are nowadays.

grow up, age is just a number but knowledge comes with time- most kids think they know the world but truth is only seen parts of it couldn't possibly know it.

did you wake up and know everything in the world? know you found things out through time and age....you will never know everything no matter your age.

Chili Davis wrote:
Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional

Asperger96
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2013, 7:14 am

:@: Ghoti

...you are the best person ever...

StarCity
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2013, 12:50 pm

Often when I need the best advice I ask an "old person". They've been around for a long time, and have seen the cycle of hisory repeat itself over and over.
"Newcomers" think that they are original & unique, but most times they are not. They just think they are.

It isn't natural for me, but it enables me to "fit in".
It is VERY tiring and draining, but at least we can appear like them even though it is an act. Like being on the stage.
They can't see it is emulation, and so we are accepted.

lwolf
Raven
Raven

08 Nov 2013, 1:24 pm

Aspergers96 and Codey maybe you should be careful about what you put. It makes you look like dumbasses just saying.
I have no respect for either of you and to be honest it's your the bad stereo types of the teens today.
No respect and no knowledge

Good luck when you get older

octobertiger
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2013, 1:48 pm

I mean such things as these: — when the young are to be silent before their elders; how they are to show respect to them by standing and making them sit; what honour is due to parents; what garments or shoes are to be worn; the mode of dressing the hair; deportment and manners in general.

That was 50-Crates, first gansta rapper of history, who reportedly said that over 2000 years ago. And he was rather a naughty one at the best of times, wasn't he.

Every older generation since has complained about their younger brothers and sisters, and their supposed lack of respect. So, I would presume that those complaining about it now come from generations just as guilty.

Perhaps there is a case to be made for not taking oneself so seriously? :D Surely age and experience should teach that, as well as remind us of the impetuosity of youth.

And before completely slating the youth of today - it should be remembered that we're the ones who have left them such a world, with all its problems, to grow up in. The post-war generation worked hard, inherited, and by and large pulled the rope up after themselves.

And with an aging population, guess who 'we' will be relying on to take care of us?

I look forward to the day that someone calls Cody an old so-and-so, and he laughs at it, remembering.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2013, 2:00 pm

Dear_one wrote:
Perhaps the shortest example is that when I was young, I thought that good manners were just arbitrary impositions. Now I see them as good tools for dealing with the unknown state of mind of people we approach. They may not be sincere, but they still help keep things moving smoothly.

That's very deep wisdom. That is the point of a lot of conventional behavior and there is massive utility in it. It sucks learning the hard way, so if there is any way to share that with the young 'uns, we should.

Quote:
I really wish someone had taken the time to explain things like that to me when I was young - it took a lot of hard experience to work out.
It's a good project to do that here, and you would have a lot of help. If all the older more experienced members put their experience together in thread, it could probably be the basis for a really useful book.

But will the young ones listen? Some things you have to learn for yourself.

Asperger96
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2013, 2:09 pm

lwolf wrote:
Aspergers96 and Codey maybe you should be careful about what you put. It makes you look like dumbasses just saying.
I have no respect for either of you and to be honest it's your the bad stereo types of the teens today.
No respect and no knowledge

Good luck when you get older

Again: I was quoting Groucho Marx, therefore showing respect to someone 100 years older than me.

I think older people are just more amazing than younger people. My favorite person alive today is Tom Lehrer, and he is in his 80's ( :D Wait another 80 years, no one as funny as him will ever come along again.)

And Carol Burnett is my favorite comedian.

When I look at it, I really wish that I were born 50 years ago. I like the comedians and actors of the past so much more than those of the present.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2013, 4:21 pm

Adamantium wrote:
It's a good project to do that here, and you would have a lot of help. If all the older more experienced members put their experience together in thread, it could probably be the basis for a really useful book.

But will the young ones listen? Some things you have to learn for yourself.

There may be a few layers of translators between the drippings of distilled wisdom and a viral presentation. I've been thinking of titles like "Everything I didn't "Get" in Kindergarten" or "The Logical Boy's Guide to Humans." The more we post on the basic material, the better chance some ideas will spread. How would you set it up here? It is a lot easier to add notes to a list than to select the parts for an interesting story. Maybe the popular stories will be written around encounters with just one or two bits from our lists.

Codyrules37
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2013, 5:47 pm

@lwolf

I have no respect for you either, now we're on similar grounds.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2013, 6:08 pm

@codyrules37 and lwolf. Keep it civilised you two. :shameonyou:

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

08 Nov 2013, 6:13 pm

Locked on OP's request.