Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2013, 7:44 pm

Depends on my mood. Most of the time I talk very quickly, pressured speech. I talk a lot. I love to talk and talk and talk. Blah!! I don't remember what else to say right now.

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2013, 10:27 pm

I speak slowly.

Some professionals have tried to label this as aphasia or another language disorder. However, I find my speech to be highly variable (with "slow and thoughtful" at the high end and meeting diagnostic criteria for severe expressive aphasia on the low end).

I have my own explanations for when I speak well and when I do not.

PerfectlyDarkTails
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2013, 11:07 pm

I speak very slowly and sometimes in a fewer words as possible.

There's often long pauses if my mind stops thinking about the word I was going to say. Otherwise I have to think beforehand before initiating speaking if I initiate conversation at all and let others start first.

When talking about a special interest though, I often drone on, most conversations are usually monotone and lack any emotion.

AS 168/200, NT: 20/ 200, AQ=45 EQ=15, SQ=78, IQ=135

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2013, 9:42 am

i always talk very fast, dont know if it's an aspie thing or not.

Codyrules37
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2013, 9:48 am

yoguyswutupthisiscodyrules37iwasjustabouttosaythaticantwaittoplaysomerunescapeandtheneatsomelunchandthengoworkoutatthegym gasp gasp

coffeebean
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2013, 11:40 am

Salkin wrote:
I talk too fast at times, which can make it difficult for people to understand me, but I think it's also that I can be kind of mumbly. It doesn't help that I think I have even more trouble giving off turn-taking cues than I do with reading them (which is still not that well).

Sums me up, too. It's hard trying to put words to what I'm thinking when I have to deal with everything involved in offline communication at the same time.

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2013, 12:19 pm

I speak way too fast...when I CAN speak.

HomeschoolTrekkie
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

08 Nov 2013, 3:50 pm

Daydreamer86 wrote:
I speak very fast when I am excited or very opinionated about something. It's not a big issue though-my main issue with my voice is my lack of volume control-I always get told that I am very loud and my dad always jokes that I was born with no volume control. My colleagues usually make some sort of joke about holding their ears when I am speaking on the phone and they are in the same room.

People always tell me I talk way too fast and way too loud. If I talk at what feels like a very, very soft volume, I am told I am speaking at a normal volume. I do slow down when I am explaining something, unless I am excited (usually because someone actually mentioned a passing interest in something I care about, so I can actually be part of a conversation for a little while).

Codyrules37
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2013, 6:11 pm

I speak at the speed of light

SG78
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Nov 2013, 10:16 pm

My instinct is to speak fast, but I often trip over words and struggle with pronunciation at times. As a result, I have to slow my speech a great deal and consciously speak out each word in order to be coherent.

billiscool
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2013, 10:25 pm

I was a fast talker once,use to speak 350-400 wpm.my
best was around 500 wpm.

the record is 700 wpm

Quintex
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Nov 2013, 1:30 am

TallyMan wrote:
If you get me talking about a special interest I will machine gun you with words so fast and hard that they will drive you into a corner where I will continue to assault your ears until you beg for mercy. :P

This.

Also, I talk very loudly. There is absolutely no volume control. If I get excited about something I talk very fast and forget to actually say most of the words so it apparently comes out as gibberish.

I also pause before answering questions to consider my answers.

redfames
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 Nov 2013, 7:08 am

I used to talk at like one word per minute but sometimes I talk too slowly. Got told in 7th grade that I need to talk a bit faster and I practiced

I think I got that from my dad's mother and my aunt. Mum said my grandmother was a slow talker. She died when I was 1 years old. My aunt still talks really slow and everyone has noticed it - it drove my cousins mad.

Halfmadgenius
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2013, 10:31 am

I talk sort of slow but not noticeably so. If people talk fast I can't understand them and have to ask them to repeat themselves. And some times when I do understand it takes a moment to click and by then I have already asked them to repeat it. A lot of people think I am hard of hearing because of this.
Also I some times forget how to say a word. I know it, I've said it a million times without a problem, but I just can't say it. I can say other words, and laugh at my stupidity, but I can't make my mouth form the word.
And sometimes my brain works faster than my mouth and I will skip words. I have skipped entire sentences before and had to back track and repeat the whole thing. It is quite embarrassing when you try to tell someone something but miss half of your sentence, for example instead of saying "the cat clawed me!" You just shout "me!"

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2013, 1:25 pm

Halfmadgenius wrote:
Also I some times forget how to say a word. I know it, I've said it a million times without a problem, but I just can't say it. I can say other words, and laugh at my stupidity, but I can't make my mouth form the word.
That´s what made me learn to speak fast, like a quick ambush, when I am stuck. I feel so stupid when it happens.
Quote:
And sometimes my brain works faster than my mouth.
ADHD, according to my psychologist.