Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2013, 1:48 am

I don't know what it is, but over the past month, people have been calling me weird with alarming frequency. I haven't changed my behaviour in any way, I'm still the same as I've always been, but this brusque observation has been occurring more often. A few weeks ago my sister told me her friends thought I was weird but "adorable", and that when they asked "what's wrong with me", she'd just fend them off with, "It's a long story." I wish she'd tell them, it might help destigmatize things. The beginning of this week it happened again; my mom and I were discussing my moving out of the house and she didn't think I was ready because I "lack people skills," then she said, "You need to learn to be more normal, people don't like people who are weird." Maybe the worst one though happened this morning; my abnormal psych professor (who is supposed to be an expert!) was comparing the psychomotor agitation of schizophrenics with "those weird movements you see in autistics." He corrected halfway through and changed it to "different", but the fact that "weird" came out first means that that was his unconscious, automatic response; he finds stimming, and maybe autism in general, to be weird. I'm getting really tired of people calling me weird. I don't care if it's true, it's still unkind and bothersome, and it makes me feel like a burden, or like I'll never be normal.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

iceb
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2013, 3:50 am

Normal is well overrated.

loosewheel
Raven
Raven

21 Nov 2013, 4:24 am

I've had family members tell me “You're not human.” Not inhumane, just not the same species. Giving what I've generally seen of human, I take it as a compliment. I'd much rather be this than that. As far as “or like I'll never be normal” no probably not, or typical or however else you like to phrase it. Why would you want to be normal anyway. Anyone can do that. This takes real talent. They whine about each other behind each other's backs all the time. I'll let you in on a little secret, they're all nuts. They call everything that they don't understand weird. It doesn't actually mean anything. You can be you, even if you don't fit neatly inside someone else's box. So long as you're confident with it they'll give you room.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2013, 4:45 am

Normal...defined by the majority yes?

Just because something comes in large quantities that does not make it better for you or beneficial. Take a look at mass produced junk food as an example. It mostly tastes bad (compared to meals cooked with fresh foods), it is full of nasty additives, is low in nutrition and is bad for your health as a result.

But in the world of food the junk food is 'normal'. It is normal because that is what most people eat a lot of these days...It's becoming a dietary norm. In the food industry it makes the majority of foods consumed by a number of populations.

Goes to show normal is not always good for you...or even healthy.

Now weird would be the concept of eating fresh foods in today's society. That is weird to todays generation. Why an earth would people want to cook with real food instead of buying prepacked pizza from the supermarket. It's weird, it's strange...but it's much healthier for you and much more beneficial in a number of ways.

Besides, I always feel like it is everyone else that is weird, not me.

Matt_Foxiss
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Nov 2013, 4:50 am

loosewheel wrote:
I've had family members tell me “You're not human.”

It reminded me my friend told me "You're not human" some days ago. But I hope it was just out of fun :-D
I'm used to listen other people telling me I'm weird. But I don't dislike it.

Foxxtale
Toucan
Toucan

21 Nov 2013, 7:20 am

Honestly, I found that taking these as compliments was the best thing I could do.
When someone would tell me I was weird, I thanked them. What they meant was I wasn't like them... and I had no desire to be like most of 'them'.

micfranklin
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2013, 9:30 am

There's nothing wrong with being "weird," since for one no one gets to define what weird truly is.

Asperger96
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2013, 10:31 am

Quote:
Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is calamity for the fly

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2013, 10:41 am

StarTrekker wrote:
Maybe the worst one though happened this morning; my abnormal psych professor (who is supposed to be an expert!) was comparing the psychomotor agitation of schizophrenics with "those weird movements you see in autistics." He corrected halfway through and changed it to "different", but the fact that "weird" came out first means that that was his unconscious, automatic response; he finds stimming, and maybe autism in general, to be weird.

Wow. He really should not be saying that in this context, weird is not a scientific descriptor.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

micfranklin
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2013, 10:45 am

IMO one should wear their weirdness as a badge of honor, if they've been called that.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2013, 3:07 pm

Thanks guys, it's things like this that make me glad I found you lot to hang out with. It probably wouldn't be so bad if I weren't the only aspie I knew in person, but as it is, I've always felt the odd one out. I suppose you're right though; as Bumble said, normal isn't always a good thing, I'll just have to keep that in mind the next time my lack of normalcy is brought up.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

TreeShadow
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Nov 2013, 3:43 pm

I'm also the only Aspie I know, so I understand how it is to be the one person that seems to be on the outs.

Will you ever be normal? No, you will never be their version of normal. You can appear and act like they do, but your inner being will always be different, and that is not a bad thing. As others have said, being their version of normal is not necessarily something you want to strive for anyway. A lot of so-called normal people haven't impressed me much.

When others call you weird, it is NOT a reflection on you, it is a reflection of their ignorance, fear, and closed-mindedness. You are different, and that is not a bad thing, regardless of how they try to define you.

jonny23
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2013, 8:35 pm

I'm weird and I like weird people, everyone else is boring :D

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2013, 9:00 pm

I feel that way sometimes. I wish I had that magic social key that opens so many doors, and provides so much companionship. But I am who I am warts and all, so I try to focus on the good and stay solid.

micfranklin
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2013, 8:12 am

I'm in a Facebook group with a ton of people, along with 2 or 3 other people who consider themselves "Aspies" but strangely I'm the only Aspie I know in real life. My friends say I'm weird, awkward, quirky and a snarker but I don't care 'cause I like it.

mosswoodconnections
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Nov 2013, 10:19 am

Dear Startrekker,
Why worry about people thinking that you are weird? I am not "on the spectrum" and people call me weird. I like to think that they mean quirky or unique. At mosswoodconnections we value differences and appreciate the unique qualities of all people. Celebrate your differences!

Mosswood Connections