How do you find waking up in the morning?

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

SherlockTheUnicorn
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Nov 2013, 3:48 am

Does anyone else find waking up extremely painful? The whole waking up experience is so frustrating for me, there is alot going on in my house in the morning, the TV goes on, the lights go on, the heating comes on, sounds of people making breakfast come from the kitchen, people spraying deodorant, dogs barking etc. I should point out I live in a flat so I can hear/see/smell everything. I have tried to hint at other residents but they either don't care or don't realise just how frustrating I find it. I often start the day off by crying under my quilt. :( I just wondered if and how anyone else deals with this.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2013, 4:18 am

I deal with it by drinking tea, daily. Green, black or oolong. One of those three... If I don't, or before I do, I go mad. My mom cranked up some public news radio at 7 today (I'm visiting for Thanksgiving) and it jolted me so badly I sardonically asked her if it was loud enough. I think a lot of this relates back to how well you're sleeping in the first place. I like melatonin (sleep hormone) supplements, herbal relaxant teas (there are loads to choose from) and sleeping in absolute darkness. Silence isn't so important for me, and I've learned to like white noise as long as it's consistent (like heater vents), but everything else must go. If you have gaps in your door letting light or noise though, try jamming a rug or towel at the bottom and maybe hanging a curtain over it. I placed a corkboard in one of my windows and leave the curtain down on the one above my neighbor's driveway light. I've been pondering gettting myself more curtains or blinds for quite a while...

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Bodyles
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2013, 5:10 am

I dislike waking up.
I really dislike mornings.
I HATE being woken up.

Fortunately, I'm usually able to arrange my living situation so that it's relatively quiet most of the time so I can sleep when needed, as often that does not coincide with 'normal' hours.
Unfortunately a problem with this led to a confrontational situation with a neighbor which led to me moving out of my home over over 4 years because I did not feel safe there anymore, which in turn led to my current situation in which I've been crashing at friend's places, living in motels, and having to live with roommates for the past 4 months.
The good news is my new situation promises to be private and hopefully quiet and able to be turned into the nice dark cave I need to live and function and occasionally hide.

I would advise that you try to find a better, quieter living situation.

I don't cry when people wake me up.
I yell, and if they touch me I flail at them.

Sleep is the only time I get any real relief from the world and its intensity, discomfort, pain, and various indignities.
Prematurely rousing me from that makes me fairly angry, more often than not.

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2013, 2:37 pm

I dont wake up in the morning anymore
I go to sleep in the morning

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2013, 2:45 pm

My experience is not that bad, and getting out of bed well has much more to do with depression and/or the health of my adrenals. However, I have much more control over my surroundings than you do, it seems.

Do you have earplugs or headphones? I find them indispensable for times like you have mentioned.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2013, 2:49 pm

waking up is the most difficult thing in the entire world ever

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2013, 2:51 pm

chris5000 wrote:
I dont wake up in the morning anymore
I go to sleep in the morning

ive been in that habbit lately too, i have been falling asleep at 4 or 5 am and waking up at 4pm, i try to wake up in the morning to let my dog out but its too hard

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

pleasekillme
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Nov 2013, 2:53 pm

Waking up is awful. Waking up is awful. Waking up is awful. Waking up is awful. Waking up is awful. Waking up is awful.

leafplant
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2013, 2:59 pm

ZombieBrideXD wrote:
waking up is the most difficult thing in the entire world ever

^This

I have 5 alarms and three cats and sometimes I STILL can't manage to wake up.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2013, 3:46 pm

I live alone and don't work so start the day however I want.

I wake when I wake naturally, get up, have coffee, indulge in breakfast, head out and so on.

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2013, 3:53 pm

I absolutely hate getting up in the morning, always have, ever since I was little.

I too don't work and I can wake when I want. When I did work and had to use an alarm, my automatic reflex was to swear at the alarm, I started every day with a strong F. U. to the clock.

Diagnosed in 2005

WitchsCat
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2013, 5:39 pm

I don't often enjoy waking up on mornings, especially on days that I have to work. When I have to wake up at a certain time, I think to myself, Not now, please, just a few more minutes...

This is pretty much why I look forward to weekends; so I can sleep in until whenever I feel like waking up.

Sedentarian
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2013, 5:41 pm

cberg wrote:
I deal with it by drinking tea, daily. Green, black or oolong. One of those three... If I don't, or before I do, I go mad. My mom cranked up some public news radio at 7 today (I'm visiting for Thanksgiving) and it jolted me so badly I sardonically asked her if it was loud enough. I think a lot of this relates back to how well you're sleeping in the first place. I like melatonin (sleep hormone) supplements, herbal relaxant teas (there are loads to choose from) and sleeping in absolute darkness. Silence isn't so important for me, and I've learned to like white noise as long as it's consistent (like heater vents), but everything else must go. If you have gaps in your door letting light or noise though, try jamming a rug or towel at the bottom and maybe hanging a curtain over it. I placed a corkboard in one of my windows and leave the curtain down on the one above my neighbor's driveway light. I've been pondering gettting myself more curtains or blinds for quite a while...

What is oolong tea supposed to be?

FluttercordAspie93
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2013, 6:07 pm

I'm finding myself harder and harder to wake up each morning.

DoctorYikes
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Nov 2013, 7:00 pm

My current system involves an upstairs alarm, a downstairs alarm, and my phone alarm. I move the phone alarm around because I've been known to track down an alarm, turn it off, and pass right back out without being aware of it if it's in the same place for too many consecutive days. I'm guessing it's just a side effect of slow-sleep insomnia, but really one of the hardest parts about keeping an employer happy for me. Drives my wife absolutely insane, of course, as I'll often keep right on sleeping with the three-alarm cacophony blaring throughout the house.

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2013, 7:56 pm

This thread is reminder of how blessed I am. Because of side effects from my chemo, I am unable to work outside the home right now. my kids are all grown except for one son, who goes to work with Bob every day.

so, I wake up, when I wake up, to the smell of coffee that my husband started before he left for the day. I grab my cup he has left on the counter for me and pull out the rolled little love note he has written. Sometimes there is also a Godiva chocolate or a pink carnation laying next to the cup.

I fill my coffee cup and go back to bed for another hour or so, just relaxing with my coffee and my yorkie-poo, and watching deer through the window,until I feel like getting up.

I do NOT miss hearing the assault of the alarm clock, getting my kids ready for school and myself ready for work, then running half a mile to the bus stop [I don't drive]

Thank you for reminding me how good I have it.