Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

404nf
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Nov 2013, 9:39 pm

All of this began around a week back. I don't know why, but I am undergoing some sort of a weird problem.
Each morning when I wake up, I have no memories of 80% of the things that happened the previous day. I am losing memories every day. Like, literally. I just become empty. And sometimes, I even forget my name and identity. Although it always comes back within a few minutes, for a while, I become totally blank, empty, I cannot remember who I was, what my name was, I can't remember anything about myself.
Also, I just cannot distinguish between whats true and whats false. Whats real, and whats not. Every morning after waking up, I believe that what I dreamt about is what happened in reality, not what had actually happened. And even in general, I can't separate the true from the false.
I have moments constantly where I become completely blank, find it excessively hard to stay focused, and get lost in dreamland.
I am also swimming through emotions. Nothing seems to stay. Everything is changing very quickly.
What could this be? Does this happen to Aspies, or is this something else?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2013, 10:23 pm

please consider seeing somebody about that. that is scary. you deserve to be healthy.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2013, 10:36 pm

auntblabby wrote:
please consider seeing somebody about that. that is scary. you deserve to be healthy.

Seconded. Don't take my word for it verbatim, but what you're describing is the range of effects associated with depersonalization and derealization. I know what you mean. These are frequently diagnosed as 'comorbid' conditions with ASDs. Dissociation with personal identity has been manageable for me though. My psychologist and I agreed that these phenomena have a physiological basis; alexithymia (dissociation of emotion) in my case seems to be caused by a C02 deficiency brought on by depressive patterns of breathing. I'm not telling you to find the nearest paper bag, but one breathing exercise that's kept me out of the worst of this is taking deep breaths followed by [b]slow[/b ]breaths out. We don't just need oxygen to live - we're evolved for the diverse atmospheric gases we live in, and the implications go all the way into our minds!

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

404nf
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Nov 2013, 10:38 pm

auntblabby wrote:

I am very uncomfortable with the idea of going to a psychologist/psychiatrist and opening myself up to them. Makes me feel vulnerable and exposed.

Also, I forgot to mention another thing that happens. Sometimes, I go back in time as well. Although I get out of it, I get stuck inside a completely different point of time for quite a while, and its like the past had just happened, I forget anything that happened after that, its like for example if I go back to when I was 10, I feel like I was 10 just yesterday. And Nothing has happened after that. It only lasts a few minutes atm though.

mariam604
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Nov 2013, 10:42 pm

I've felt the same as you in certain times during my past. In fact, I still feel it sometimes though in a much more mild manner than the way you put it. One thing that helped me was reading lots of fiction where I could get lost in another person's world. Maybe you should try doing the same thing.
I would also agree with everyone else that you should get some sort of psychiatric help.

mariam604
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Nov 2013, 10:44 pm

I am very uncomfortable with the idea of going to a psychologist/psychiatrist and opening myself up to them. Makes me feel vulnerable and exposed.

I feel the same way about opening myself up to people in general, but it wouldn't harm you to try.

mariam604
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Nov 2013, 10:45 pm

Sorry about the last post where I didn't quote you properly. I'm new here so I'm just getting the hand of things.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2013, 10:47 pm

404nf wrote:

Also, I forgot to mention another thing that happens. Sometimes, I go back in time as well. Although I get out of it, I get stuck inside a completely different point of time for quite a while, and its like the past had just happened, I forget anything that happened after that, its like for example if I go back to when I was 10, I feel like I was 10 just yesterday. And Nothing has happened after that. It only lasts a few minutes atm though.

This is why it's essential to search locally for psych professionals specializing in ASDs. In a broader sense, however, everyone you tap for this variety of advice has taken a Hippocratic oath - nothing you say leaves the room, which is advantageous for patient and doctor alike. The good news is that still, everything you've described to us is consistent with the symptoms and associations of Autism Spectrum. Doubtless, individual help will be instrumental for you, you have to plan around everything that's already happened in your life, but overall I think you'll find many curious and well informed people here in the same boat. I was apprehensive about confiding in therapists of any sort for years too, but that never really affected what they were able to perceive. It's both positive and natural for you to be concerned with what everyone else knows.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Notsurprised
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Nov 2013, 11:05 pm

I did not know that derealization was comorbid with ASD.
It is quite the feeling, some what comforting to know it is not something I
am doing wrong, it is just in my wiring, and not my fault!

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2013, 11:15 pm

This is very serious. I would see about being tested for forms of dementia or Alzheimer's or something along those lines or even for a brain virus or parasite or injury or even heavy metal toxicity. It's best to at least rule those things out. But I would go that route before going to a psychologist or psychiatrist. This sounds to me like it's medical. Good luck with that. Please keep us posted.

Wreck It Ralph

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2013, 11:19 pm

I would see a mental health professional of some sort, especially if this is starting to interfere with your functioning.

404nf
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Nov 2013, 12:00 am

@skibum I am only 16, so I don't think I have Alzheimers. Also, I used to take something along with my (misdiagnosed) ADHD meds(which contained lead) and is also prescribed for Alzheimer's.
I haven't had any physical injury that I can recall, but I did play a lot with soldering irons a while back. However, could this be Schizophrenia?

@cberg The problem is, I am no longer at my home, I am in a bl00dy residential school which I absolutely hate. I've asked my parents to get me the crap outta here, but I have to complete high school at the very least. Its already very 'fun' to have ASD, plus I have to live in this crappy place. I can't get out of here, and anything I say regarding my mental health to the school authorities is disregarded due to my high IQ. I know that's no valid reason, but that's what they say.

@mariam604 Watching fictional shows does more harm for me than good, maybe once or twice, I started thinking I was one of the characters from the fictional shows I watch when I had a 'loss of identity' episode.

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2013, 12:11 am

Can't you call your parents and tell them what is going on with you?

404nf
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Nov 2013, 12:27 am

JSBACHlover wrote:
Can't you call your parents and tell them what is going on with you?

I can't. I am extremely uncomfortable discussing any personal, emotional, or health related concerns with anyone, even my parents. That is why I am posting them here.

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2013, 12:37 am

If you had a 16 year old son who was having these issues, wouldn't you want to know about them so you could help him?

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2013, 12:41 am