Often 23%  23%  [ 12 ]
Seldom 21%  21%  [ 11 ]
Never - I totally loved my parents! 32%  32%  [ 17 ]
Total votes : 53

dottsie
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Dec 2013, 6:46 pm

I definately don't hate my parents. Sometimes they annoy me, but they've never tried to change who I am.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2013, 8:21 pm

They love me unconditionally.

em_tsuj
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2013, 12:58 am

I hate my mom. I love my dad. My dad always showed he loved me and made an effort to be a father. Plus he was only abusive when he was drunk. My mom is perfect by religious standards but destroyed my self-esteem with her verbal abuse, made it clear she did not want me and saw me as a burden, never tried to parent me, never showed any affection, and she is like a grown kid even though she is in her 60's because of her AS. Ever seen Antwon Fisher? The foster mother is every woman in my family--super crazy religious, hates males, and hates black people.

I think hating your parents has to do with being abused. Perhaps more aspies are abused by their parents than NT's, but that is the only connection I see with AS.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2013, 1:29 am

I love and fear my parents, but I don't hate them. I keep my special interests to myself while talking to them out of fear. I do small talk with them out of love. I keep my sexual issues a secret from them out of fear. I visit them and spend the night at least twice a month out of love. I think my American phase and my Beatles phase had a lot to do with it. I was chastised for talking about the USA with excitement and vigor. I was chastised for talking about The Beatles with excitement and vigor. I was chastised for writing about the US in my journal over and over again. "Sigh....You just keep writing about the same old stuff, day after day...." I wanted to die of a heart attack right than and there just to put my mum out of her misery. I also had my first brush with suicide, though I kept that a secret from them. I had my second brush with suicide at the age of 14, because it was that difficult for my mum to accept me, Beatle hair and all. She expressed her embarrassment about how people looked at us while we're in public and I expressed that I had a plan to commit suicide.

I don't talk to my parents about my special interest, much these days. I wouldn't talk about my special interests with my coworkers if I was working, either. I use to feel free to post about my special interest on WP until a younger member in her 20s, who's just like my mum started saying nasty things about my unusual intensity of posting about my special interest on WP and there are times that I feel like I'm going to blow up like a balloon and pop, because I bottle up my enthusiasm about The Kinks for days on end while I'm on here. I felt the same way about another special interest, but that was years ago. Perhaps, I should bury that hatched and show my true colours.

ThomasL
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

05 Dec 2013, 2:57 am

em_tsuj wrote:
I think hating your parents has to do with being abused. Perhaps more aspies are abused by their parents than NT's, but that is the only connection I see with AS.

I agree!

And my mom was religious & abusive, like yours! Although she wasn't "super-crazy religious" - she was actually "Mainline Protestant", which are supposed to be the liberal, intelligent, classy, enlightened ones! That's probably a big part of why I hate religion and especially Christinsanity (no, it's not a typo). That and the fact that it makes almost no sense whatsoever, promotes "us vs. them" mentality, promote hate & violence, and promotes child abuse ("spare the rod, spoil the child" - REALLY??? Shut the F up! You have NO right to hit a child in any way whatsoever!)

bleh12345
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2013, 4:36 am

Yes, that's why I hate my parents. All of the abuse. If you know about abusers, a large chunk of them will never say sorry, let alone change. If my mother ever DID say sorry and work on herself, I MIGHT forgive her. However, she'd have to let get out all of the thoughts she caused me to have. I'd have to be able to express all of my pain. Until then, they are heartless people who I hate.