Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2013, 10:06 pm

Hi. I know I've made a similar post ages back but the issue came up again. I got officially diagnosed but don't know how to feel about it all. I told her to deal with arguments at home or remarks I fake behavior. Pretend you're that guy from GTA or *insert fake character* My go tos are Sheldon Cooper and GTA f**k YOU type characters and The Doctor. My therapist said you are just using those things and you are still being you.

I don't know how to feel about this "faking" issue. I agree with her I'll always have problems socializing but is faking yourself as a fictional character the way to live your life? Deal with arguments or come backs? Instead of NT religion Jesus *insert characters above*

This therapist agrees there's no cure and gastrointestinal issues and has even read books on the topic and OWNS Guide to Aspeger's Syndrome she's the real deal. The therapy is for a year and she has given me some breathing exercises to start with and suggested exercise to help deal with anxiety issues.

Not sure how I feel on "faking behavior" Does anyone else fake it? and is there some character YOU like to pretend to be? Do you get to the point to where it bleeds through and YOU ARE "X character" You behave like them so much???

Thank You.

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2013, 10:34 pm

Did you ever read the book Mother Night by Vonnegut? It's about that very thing. Very good, my favorite of his.

It sounds like you are faking it as a means of coping, like a mask. Not faking it to convince someone you have Asperger's when you don't. That's probably what she means - you are you underneath, the mask can't change that.

em_tsuj
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2013, 11:17 pm

My alter ego when I was teenager was my male cousin of the same age. He was a gangsta. I no longer have the energy or the desire to be anything other than my weird self.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2013, 11:25 pm

Role-playing another person is fine. But don't try to replace your real self, and don't do it to try to make friends, because you want your friends to know the real you instead of some persona you put on to deal with a tough spot.

If you want to bring out your inner Sheldon when you try to understand something tricky, or pretend you're a gangster if you have to confront somebody, that's cool. but remember--it's really just a mental trick to get yourself in a frame of mind where it's easier to do something. When you get right down to it, you're doing things you're capable of doing without play-acting. You're just holding a magic feather, really.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com