Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

IrishEyes
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 10:22 am

Does anyone suffer from IBS (irritable bowel syndrome). I seem to be showing a lot of the symptoms, is it more likely for people with AS to have this syndrome?

structrix
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 10:53 am

I would consider myself as someone having some kind of IBS. I was speaking about this with my brother who is a doctor. I have heard that people with autism tend to have more gastrointestinal issues in general.

IrishEyes
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 11:05 am

structrix wrote:
I would consider myself as someone having some kind of IBS. I was speaking about this with my brother who is a doctor. I have heard that people with autism tend to have more gastrointestinal issues in general.

My symptoms are...horrible cramps, constipation and bouts of diarrhea. Some days I will be fine and other days are so awful with the cramps and gassy feeling.

What kind of symptoms are you having structrix?

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 11:51 am

oh god

mines bad

:( dont want to ge into detail but its always... you know... painful and under digested

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 11:52 am

im almost always bloated

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

IrishEyes
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 12:13 pm

ZombieBrideXD wrote:
im almost always bloated

That's how I feel bloated and gassy. Today is really bad for me, ive had diarrhea 3 times already, im not shy to talk about it because I need some help :/
I think I need to see my doctor again, I didnt mention it last time I went to have a checkup but she said I was badly constipated and advised me to take senokot which only helps for so long. I don't know what to do im in pain :(

IdleHands
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Dec 2013, 12:16 pm

Try eliminating milk/dairy. Myself, wife, and both kids are all autistic and all of us had problems related to milk protein. Gastro problems and ASD seem to go hand in hand.

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 12:24 pm

GI issues with autism are not uncommon.

I was diagnosed with milk - specifically casein - intolerance when I was in my teens (I'm now in my forty's).

This past year I was diagnosed as gluten intolerant - possibly true celiac.

I've been eating gluten free for about 10 months now and my horrible IBS issues, that I suffered with for a very long time, have largely cleared up.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 12:29 pm

I read in a magazine article the other day that over half of the population suffer with IBS or have suffered with it at some point in their lives.

It also said about stress being a big factor, and many Aspies stress over things too easily, so maybe that is why a lot of Aspies suffer IBS too. I don't have IBS....yet.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 12:31 pm

I had a bout with colitis in the early '90s which was nasty. It came on suddenly. Gastroenterologist said cause was viral or nerves. Controlled it with doctor recommended diet and a few months drug regimen. Or maybe it just eased out on its own. I never got back to the way I was. I keep dairy, nuts, sauces out and limit acid intake.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 13 Dec 2013, 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 12:57 pm

i have IBS, colic issues, and diverticulitis. for some reason these only occur in the evening and at night, usually im pretty fine in the day.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 1:19 pm

Taking psyllium husks can dramatically improve the symptoms and change your life.

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 1:24 pm

My son and I both suffer from chronic constipation. He's had it from infancy, don't know about me. I recently noticed that my bloating got especially bad after eating a lot of pretzels, which makes me wonder about eliminating wheat.

mikassyna
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 2:23 pm

I suffered terrible IBS as a child. Sweating, cramping, and all those other urgent graphic details I'll spare you with--with each episode at least 45 minutes at a time. I used to joke that I was preparing for childbirth LOL!! !

IBS cleared up as an adult but I still get isolated episodes of it, usually during times of stress. I'm trying to determine if I currently am experiencing IBS or a stomach bug. Not pleasant at all...

Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 2:36 pm

IrishEyes wrote:
Does anyone suffer from IBS (irritable bowel syndrome). I seem to be showing a lot of the symptoms, is it more likely for people with AS to have this syndrome?

I have for so long, nobody's actually diagnosed it. The current doctor, told my history with the symptoms, just refers to it as IBS. I guess that IS a diagnosis?

Of course, I'm not officially disagnosed as on the spectrum yet, so don't let me throw off any stats you might be coming up with.

What would these results mean? Been told here I must be a "half pint".

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

13 Dec 2013, 3:06 pm

I have terrible bouts of IBS about once every 9 months that last about a week. They're honestly the worst thing in my life, not being able to get proper comfort, being unable to sleep, and constantly visiting the toilet to no avail. I push the overdose limits of paracetamol and ibuprofen (a friend recently recommended taking opiates like codeine when I mentioned the intensity and duration of the pain, which I wish I'd thought of earlier!). It basically destroys my life for a week.

Fortunately, I'm fine day-to-day, unlike a lot of people who have to put up with it all the time.